Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me Im dead in Oral

Options
  • 02-04-2008 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

hi ,
    Im repeating the irish lieaving cert honours Irish this yr after doing the leaving 8 yrs ago in 2000, i did pass then, and have decided I wanna do primary teachinh and therefore need a C3 in honours lrish. my oral is mext week and im basically dead, the time has caught up with me, i started the nigth course last october but the time has flown, all i have prepared are the usual, name, age, where you live, why im repeating, why i wanna do teachig, passtimes, oh my god have i got any chance of gettin the C3 with this or will they really ask about current affairs? someone mentioned to me all they were asked were current affairs, for instance i might get asked about bertie ahern resigning or whatever and they said they werent asked anything simple????
    this is all i have ???ahhhh:eek::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

Ah well firstly, chill out, if it's next week there's time to prepare plenty of stuff.
    I imagine if you've got those things prepared and then a little bit of Irish yourself you'll manage a C3.
    I'm not sure how different it is for people repeating, but I seriously doubt they'd ask only about current affairs.
    The Bertie Ahern thing bound to come up in some shape or form, and there's a common question for the LC of "What would you do if you were Taoiseach?"
    This allows for use of the conditional tense, which is impressive if you can use it correctly. They'll only be hard on you if they reckon you're good enough to handle it, so either way it's not too bad. Try not to worry, with that stuff you've mentioned (which they're bound to ask about) you're probably grand for a C3 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Ramones

Hi, I'm 38 and repeating Irish this year in order to try become a Primary teacher too.

Its been 20, yes 20! years since I did the oral at ordinary level.

I have prepared the normal stuff too as well as why I'd like to do teaching.

Fu**** trust Bertie to go and throw the towel in this week of all weeks!! .

Twas only last night I learned stuffed about the possibility of a teachers strike

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Ramones wrote: »
    Fu**** trust Bertie to go and throw the towel in this week of all weeks!! .

Ha ha!
    Yup, must get working on some spiel for him tonight!!!

I'm reapeating also. & for the same reason. It's been 11 years since I sat the leaving & I'm pretty hopeless also, but all I can do is my best.
    & so far, all I've done is what you've listed, & not that well at that!

Incidently, I still haven't been told when I'm bloody well on!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 brownboots

what?? possibility of a teacher strike?
    where are you gettin the info to actually learn about all this? i have alot of material on violence, obesity, drink driving and all that but dunno where to start, their all very high standard irish and theres no point in drowning myself with this. ive gotten one or 2 grinds and have been told that they want to give you marks and the main thing is to be able to hold a discussion with them, and not to worry about all these handouts ive been given.
    thanks for the replies
    do ye seriously think theyll ask about Bertie, their not trying to catch you out so maybe you could direct the conversation to what you want to talk about? Im hoping my years of interview tecniques and skills will stand to me a bit :rolleyes:
    Thanks for yere replies, you should have your date by now though? id ring them if i were u!:)

I have phoned them.
    They can tell me the examiner will be at the school for two days & give me those dates, but it's up to the actual examiner to contact me to say when they want me in.
    I phoned the school to see if they'd any info & they still haven't gotten back to me. (3 days ago!!) I'm ringing them tomorrow again!
    I've to book time off work like!!!

Brownboots, stop getting so worked up! The 1st point about the oral is that it's not a general knowledge quiz. You're not expected to have information & an opinion on everything.

Learn off a bit for a few current affairs issues, but if you get asked something you haven't learned, just say you don't have information on that topic, or you don't have much interest in that area.
    You are still showing you understood the question, which is what IS important.

Or, if you were asked about the drugs problem, but you'd prepared about alcoholism, you could say, yes there's a problem, but you feel alcohol is a more widespread problem.
    More than likely the examiner would then ask you about this instead & then you're laughing!!
    But yea, I'm sure it'll be me posting here next week panicking like crazy!!!

Best of luck, I'm somewhere at the end of the following week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

Things to know:
    Cé thú féin- who you are, age, whre ya come from, your family.

Áit Cónaithe- basically be able to talk about your locality.

Caitheamh Aimsire- past times. always remember is maith liom a bheith ag imirt sacair/ag seint an giotar........also music, basically whatever your into.

An Scoil- know about your school, subjects for leaving cert, what you wnat to do next.

Laethannta saoire- what holidays have you been ann, where, with who, re you going away after your exams

An deireadh Seachtain- what ou do at the weekends, you maybe asked if you drink, what do you think of young people drinking.

Post- do you have a job, what is it, are you going to get a job after the exams, where. also know about the job you will be qualified to do after university*.

They could ask you if you read any Irish news papers, politics, *if its nursing be prepared to answer a question regarding the strikes,** doctors regarding the pay deals and the AE times,

remember you modh chionnaíleach also for the questions:

if you won the lotto what would you do

if you had a million euro what would you do

what wouuld you do if you were Taoiseach/ President

if any of you need help dont hesitate to PM me, regards any aspect of the Irish, only happy to help...

Go n-éirí libh,

Lasair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 H-esperanza

I think its great that bertie has resigned!
    Think about it, its better there is a big news item that everyone is talking about that you can prepare now, than if there was only little pieces of news here and there that you are only second guessing what the examiner is going to ask you!
    If you are doing higher level you are expected to be able to discuss current affairs and move the conversation to that level. You have a week to learn even a little bit about Bertie and the tribunerals and then you are sorted.
    Also if you are interested in sport our teacher told us to be prepared to talk about all the controversies going on about the Olympics and China.
    I know you can just say you don't have the information but the conversation has to move on and its better to prepare these now so you can learn them.
    A week is plenty of time to prepare the current affairs and why not listen to nuacht each night for the next week so you can hear it all being discussed in irish and you will remember it even better!
    Best of luck anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

BoozyBabe wrote: »
    I have phoned them.
    They can tell me the examiner will be at the school for two days & give me those dates, but it's up to the actual examiner to contact me to say when they want me in.
    I phoned the school to see if they'd any info & they still haven't gotten back to me. (3 days ago!!) I'm ringing them tomorrow again!
    I've to book time off work like!!!

normally for external candidates taking an examinable component like an oral, the examiner will send you a letter in the post telling you the dates the orals are on in your exam centre. I would imagine that you will have to make yourself available for the two days because for example if you are meant to be on near the end of the first day and things get delayed, your oral could be put back to the next day. In some schools as well its not just done by exam number, foundation students are examined separately(as far as i know) so the examiner may do them first or last depending on numbers. it's impossible to give an exact time to any student as orals can take longer than the 15 or so minutes that they normally take, especially if a student is finding it hard and sits for a long time in silence and the examiner has to ask a lot of questions to get any answers. I think you should book the two days off and make yourself available

Nah,

The examiner phoned me last night & we arranged the time & date, so I'm all sorted now, apart from the speaking Irish part!!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 The Weasel

Be prepared to answer questions like how would you deal with unruley kids etc if you mention you want to do teaching- fairly likely they'll throw the like of that at you to test your M.C ( I was asked that today in mock oral, even though I had JUST told him I was going to do vet!:rolleyes:).. Stuff like what you'd do if you won lotto/were taoiseach etcs handy too! I agree with learning a bit on Bertie, and the Health system too for that matter..:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭irish_boy90

Don't think every single person will be asked about bertie.
    I am just going to know key words to spinn around.

Chuirfinn (i would put. eg more money in the health system)

Or just say you would have more gaurds, more teachers etc etc.

And if you won the lotto or etc
    Ceannoidh (I can't spell)

and you can just list everything you would buy

You will do fine as long as your awake and able to understand what your being asked. If you can't Guess.

in my mock oral I was asked one question I didn't understand (knew it was if I would do something)

So I just said I am not sure we will see

Worked a charm and moved on to the next question.

Advertisement