Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

engine mount and 4 brake pads €600?

Options
  • 02-04-2008 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

Seems high to me but a renault dealer told me this is how much it will cost.
    Since i have to have the car, im stuck so have to go with it.
    NCT is due on Saturday also.. will probably still fail after a €200 service (different place) and a €600 repair on the busted engine mount (the service turned up).

Not a great time with all the expense over recent months. This is the worst time it could have come.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

could you not fix the mount, weld it or something.

I hate handing over money like that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Do not have the time, nor a welder to do that. Also i doubt i would pass the NCT will random weldings to my engine.

I am loath to do it and if i was not under time pressure, i would just leave it and trade it in but im not sure i will get much if i do not have an NCT.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Sounds very pricey to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

I recently put my better halfs '00 scenic through the NCT, it passed but the examiner told me that the gearbox mount was about to go and would need to be done as soon as possible. Dropped it down to our local mechanic who priced the job for the part and fitting at €80.

Probably more labour with an engine mount, but €600 for that and brakes sounds pricey. Put the car through the NCT anyway, see what it fails on and at least you will get another month to shop around for the best deal for the retest.

i would not have gone to a renault dealer but i was told by the place i got it serviced that i would have to go to a dealer for the mount, they could have done the pads but did not have any at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

You would go to a dealer for an engine mount allright. To buy the part at the parts counter and after that anyone with a bit of mechanical aptitude can fit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Saruman wrote: »
    Seems high to me but a renault dealer told me this is how much it will cost.
    Since i have to have the car, im stuck so have to go with it.
    NCT is due on Saturday also.. will probably still fail after a €200 service (different place) and a €600 repair on the busted engine mount (the service turned up).

Not a great time with all the expense over recent months. This is the worst time it could have come.
    You got robbed there:(

The reciept breaks it down, 300 or so for the parts and 200 or so for labour. The rest is Vat, oh and 5 for sundries! Gloves and crap!!

The engine mount itself was about €55

At least the car drives perfectly now, its a lot quieter etc. the main cost was obviously the dealer doing the brake pads, had i just got them to do the mounting, it would not have been so much... like i said, i did not have the time to get a better deal. It was today only and NCT this weekend.

Advertisement