Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL caps

Options
  • 02-04-2008 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭

Now that eircoms upgrading it's 6mb to 12mb and 3mb to 6mb are they going to increase caps. I know that the new 12mb download cap is going to be 120GB but i have the 3mb line(Which is giving me 6mb for last 2 months :D ) and currently my cap is 30GB. Thats really crap tho cause when you stream tv shows it eats away into it really fast. If they upgraded it to the 40GB the 6mb has at the mo it would be an improvement but id really be hopeing they'd put it up to 60GB.
    Anyone know?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

i didnt know ntl publically announced/confirmed cap upgrades?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

What do I get?
    • Dedicated support team available to assist with many of your broadband and computer issues. Click here for details.
    • 12Mb downstream; 1Mb upstream
    • 24 hour online connection - no time restrictions
    • No telephone line required
    • 120GB usage limit
    • Up to 15 email addresses
    • 300MB web space
    • FREE wireless router
    What do I get?
    • Dedicated support team available to assist with many of your broadband and computer issues. Click here for details.
    • 6Mb downstream; 512Kb upstream
    • 24 hour online connection - no time restrictions
    • No telephone line required
    • 60GB usage limit
    • Up to 15 email addresses
    • 300MB web space
    Sorry I answered my own question i suppose i just need to look harder next time.
    (Also im not working for ntl just so you know im a college student and i just think their the lesser of two evils i.e. eircom being the bigger one come on smart enable my area:))

excellent. new customers get them now. shouldnt be too long before they know if its succesful or not!
    upgrading the cap is essential! and woohoo.

anyone rang upc to ask when current customers are being flickjed over?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I'm not sure if it's a definite official policy or not, but I'm on 3Mb and I got a call from them the other day saying that I'd gone over my cap of 60GB. They said if I upgraded to 6Mb now my cap would increase to 120GB now and I'd get the speed increase to 12Mb soon (I think he might have said May, not too sure).

sales tactic. they're trying to get you to upgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Out of curiosity, how strict are NTL with regards enforcing their cap?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Officially only new customers get the new high speeds untill june when current customers get upgraded. But ya I supose that sounds like a sales tactic like he said. I don't know how strict they are with their caps but they trottle connections anyway when you use bittorrent or even p2p traffic of any kind, I wouldn be surprised if they did throttle your connection if you went over.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

sales tactic. they're trying to get you to upgrade.
    Absolutely,definitely a sales tactic, I just thought it was interesting that they seem to be working off the new caps, even if they're not official yet.

Phlann wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, how strict are NTL with regards enforcing their cap?
    In general they're not very strict, I don't keep much track of my usage but there have been some months I've been well over and havn't heard a thing. But then again most months I'd be well under. I've heard in the past they have sent out letters out to anyone over but they seem to just do it once a year or so.

Hard to know if they might get stricter when UPC get everything fully consolidated, hope not.

Advertisement