Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rain & Oil tanks

Options
  • 02-04-2008 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Have people had probs with rain water getting into their oil tanks and then fecking up their boilers????

Last year (around july - which I think was pretty rainy) - I had to have the oil crowd come out and fill me tank, then a couple of weeks later my pump/motor burnt out - which the plumber said was due to water getting in.

Same thing has happened this year. Had it filled up about 3 weeks ago, got rid of the lock out. Then last week got lock out again, got the plumber out and he said that water was coming in with the oil. He showed me a bottle which had oil/water from the incoming pipe, I would say about 50% was water!

I've blamed the oil crowd for this, because it seems like a bit of a coincident that it happens every time they fill the oil tank up.
    They are blaming my oil tank saying it’s not water proof.
    I’m just fed up with boilers/oil and the tanks L

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Do you mean water gets in while they fill the tank?

Btw, you'd probably be better off in one of the forums under http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=875

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭jasonh

biko wrote: »
    Do you mean water gets in while they fill the tank?

Btw, you'd probably be better off in one of the forums under http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=875

This is what i'm scratching my head about.
    I can't believe that a huge amount of water gets into it while they are filling it. The only other thing I can think of, is that they didn't put the cap back on tight enough and then water is climbing into it when it rains.
    Basically, I would love to know how water is ending up in the tank.

Can you buy waterproof jackets/covers for them?
    I might make a shed for it, this might also deter people stealing/draining the oil out of it.

Good point - Moderators! Can you move this thread please?

ta
    j

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

sounds more like someone is stealing your oil and replacing it with water :eek::eek: (its like the old vodka trick, looks the same, just not 100% vodka though)get my drift :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

To answer your question:.... YES!

We had mad problems with water getting into the tank for the last 2 years. We had about 3/4 visits from the boiler man to fix the problem, on the last visit he suggested that the tank maybe faulty or a crack in the roof (Nothing visible though).
    I put a tarpolin over it for the moment but it looks like we might have to fork out and buy a more secure tank :(

Advertisement