Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java Jobs in Ireland

Options
  • 02-04-2008 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi All,
    I've recently left my last job after 10 years and am looking at going back into the workplace. I am a Web Developer and have being using ASP, PHP, MySQL, SQLServer for developing web applications over the last 3 years.

However, the majority of all web developer jobs now seem to be Java. I have dabbed a little in Java, have done some apps in C#. I am familerising myself with the Ajax (Web 2.0) technologies and am just wondering what approach (ie apps to start using and learning) to take before I go back looking for work (after me break!). It seems Eclipse (Open Source Java IDE) is the most popular around but I would like to find out what the industry standard here in Ireland is for developing Web 2.0 apps..

Any feedback on this would be much appreciated!
    Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

With your Asp/Sql Server background I would go for Asp.Net over Java. Plenty of web development jobs in Asp.net.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Java is probably the most used within large enterprises due to it's long standing installations and applications that have been built with it, not to mention it's ability to run on anything and talk to anything.

If you want to be a Java developer - you'll need to get experience with it to get a decent Java developer job, to get the experience you might have to take a junior position initially, but once you get familiar with Java and have some experience you should be able to move up the ladder quite quick.

But if you're proficient in .NET you should be able to get a decent/senior .NET role.

There is quite a step up from asp/php to Java, much more OO orientated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

You'll have the same step up from Asp to Asp.net as the code used will also be OOP.

Advertisement