Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Writing off a car

Options
  • 02-04-2008 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

Apologies if this has been done before but I couldn't find anything.

My car has been written off when it was crashed into outside my house by a drunk driver, my question is do I send the registration cert to Shannon myself or is that the responsibility of the dealer that I am selling the car for scrappage to, I believe it is my responsibility but i just want to be 100% sure.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭domania

It is the responsiblity of the dealer. I recently scrapped a car and I got a cert of destruction from the scrap yard. So only deal with an approved scrap merchant. Below is a link to the DOE site about End of Life vehicles.

http://www.environ.ie/en/Environment/Waste/ProducerResponsibilityObligations/EndOfLifeVehicles/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Ultimately it is the responsibility of the last registered owner afaik, I had a vehicle written off (economic reasons) a couple of years ago & the insurance company assured me that they would take care of all that paperwork & low & behold the vehicle is now repaired & back on the roads.

Cover your rear!

• Moderators Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭Spocker

De Hipster wrote:
    I had a vehicle written off (economic reasons) a couple of years ago & the insurance company assured me that they would take care of all that paperwork & low & behold the vehicle is now repaired & back on the roads.

It can happen; just remember an insurance write-off just means its cheaper from them to pay you off rather than repair it; it doesn't mean someone won't repair it and put it back on the road (same thing happened to me a few years back too)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

I know, but the feckers were looking incredible money for it, and wouldn't sell it to me at the price they were compensating me for it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭kenny11

The scrappage dealer has assured me that by the end of next week I will get back from them documentation proving that the car was scrapped, does anybody have experience of this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement