Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

vista: 32bit or 64bit

• 02-04-2008 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭

right tough decision.

32bit vista or 64 bit vista?

read so many reviews on line and im sick of them. its 50/50!

so what should i use?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Do you have a 64 bit machine?
    If you have a 64 bit machine...go for the 64 bit version. It increases the speed of your machine as the architecture is built for your 64 bit processor. i found a 15% speed drop when I went back to 32-bit. There is a few compatibility issues with some programs on 64-bit but nothing too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Depends.

i had x86 Business and it was grand. I got a Ultiamte code from the MS event a few weeks back and that worked for x64 as well so as of a few daysa go I'm running Ultimate64 on my laptop. Even bought 4 gigs of ram to go with it.

Some usb devs might not work with x64; I have one external hdd that blue screens the laptop when turned on.

No driver issues at all really.

If you've got the extra RAM, go for x64 imo. Otherwise x86 is fine. Not too many native x64 programs either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I'm using the 64bit and am having absolutely no issues now. Had way more compatibility issues with 32bit when i tried it last year. At first i had to press f8 and disable digital driver signing for rivatuner and core temp, but the latest versions of these have digital drivers. Also i've only just got a driver for bluetooth dongle. Nearly all my games work. Its actually very well supported, anyone using it will vouch for that.

More of my comments here on what games work etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

ive got a 64bit machine. think i will upgrade so.

im gonna put id dual boot for now and see how it goes.

I don't use Vista but if I did it would be 64-bit. I'm still on 32-bit XP. I don't use it because one of my devices doesn't have a signed 64-bit driver so it won't load and I don't want the hassle of pressing F8 on every startup.

When I plan my next reinstall it'll probably be 64-bit XP I'll use because I don't see this particular device ever getting a signed driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Also note that 64 bit Windows systems run 32 bit applications by using an x86 emulator called Windows on Windows 64 or WOW64. WOW64 won’t run older 16 bit applications. When updating the kernel code for the 64 bit version, Microsoft programmers took the opportunity to include a “patch guard” – code that is part of the kernel makes it impossible to install a patch in a running kernel (which kernel mode rootkits do on 32 bit systems).

Running Server 2008 x64 myself here.

Edit:

Also, there not many 64bit virus attacks about yet.

right going with xp 32bit and vista 64bit dual boot.

thnx for the help lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

64 bit for the win :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Know how the OP feels, I'm kinda the same way.

Read loads saying Vista 64bit ultimate is as ready as it will ever be also out performing the 32bit in many ways. Also read things like "my games dont work with 64" too... kinda hoping my Steam software, unreal 3 and Quake 4 still work 100% after the format, if not it's the 32 bit for me for another year I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Well if its any good to you Steam works fine for me (and Valve officially support it on Vista x64). I've played all the source engine games, UT3, company of heroes + DX10 patch, etc on Vista x64 with no problems. I think 64 bit windows really has come of age. Installing 32-bit today if strikes me as silly with the 4GB ceiling already hitting a lot of people. I would only stay with 32 bit if I had some piece of 32-bit only hardware or software that I couldn't do without.

• Advertisement

Thats wonderful news!

Yea I built this pc just after the beta of Vista in hope of some top notch game action and I felt they would have sorted the 4GB RAM issues they had but we are all still waiting wile mine 4GB is still going unused as well as GFX mem too.

It will be 64bit ASAP for ME so!

Thanks for the info!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,856 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Karsini wrote: »
    I don't use Vista but if I did it would be 64-bit. I'm still on 32-bit XP. I don't use it because one of my devices doesn't have a signed 64-bit driver so it won't load and I don't want the hassle of pressing F8 on every startup.

When I plan my next reinstall it'll probably be 64-bit XP I'll use because I don't see this particular device ever getting a signed driver.

64bit XP has the same driver signing limitation if I remember correctly (worked on drivers for it myself :))

astrofool wrote: »
    64bit XP has the same driver signing limitation if I remember correctly (worked on drivers for it myself :))
    No I don't think so, I did some testing with the two systems. My TV card's driver isn't signed for XP x64 (it is for Vista though) and it works fine. I also have a 64-bit Widcomm stack with unsigned drivers and that loads too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

If you have 4 gigs of ram then go for 64 bit. Next time I need to reinstall Vista I'm going to change to 64 bit for definite.

i had 4gb when i was running 32bit vista. now since ive put 64bit on i bought 4gb more.

very worth while and not having any problems with drivers. the older games i play i just use xp 32bit so all is good!

Wow loaded up Vista 64bit and everything worked! Was kinda stunned and am very happy now. It's a lot faster than 32bit thats for sure and my 4GB RAM is humming nicely.

:D

Advertisement