Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Family and Parent issues with the Job.

• 02-04-2008 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hey all. recently send off my first application to join up to the Police.

and ofcourse like any Parent (especially my Mother) is extremly worried. And ofcourse some views come across and stories are told of family members experiences which have happened in the force before.

For example she is trying to Dishearten my by telling me of incidents which my cousin has been though, knocked off his police bike, trauma and other stories which are intended to scare me. However to be honest with you the stories just spurred me on to join up :D lol.

Anyways long story short, i was just wondering what your guys stories are.

Did your parents not agree with you joining up?

~Stephen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

Parents very proud, following in dads footsteps. Course they worry especially if they get a call from you or someone else that your gone to hospital or arrive in the door with a busted face but that can happen in any job or while out and about.

try telling them that your less likely to get mugged walking down the street and will be better able to defend yourself thanks to training and experience dealing with violent people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

My Dad is in customs so very supportive of plans to join the guards, more so then my hopes of dfb

My mother on the other hand. Shes not a big fan of the guards, she listens to much to the old storys of "the guards did this and that etc" so shes not too keen. And as for dfb, dont go there, her mother died in a house fire, nuff said

But she still knows its what I want to do, not her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Same position as Karlito. I'm following in the footsteps of my dad and I have many relations in the guards too.

you can tell your mother that the violence and terrible things we see is a very small part of the job. The rest is patrolling and helping people.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 stephen142

yeah, thanks for your views guys =]
    shall continue the battle to try and get her support :p

~Stephen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭controller

This thread is a really good idea! I know some of my family members aren't best pleased with me for applying for the Gardai, but then I know they are just being sincere, they don't want anything bad to happen. It's natural it's up to us to sell the idea to them.

I think it would also be a good idea to extend this thread to include opinions of boyfriends/girlfriends/husbands/wives/ of members - things they find annoying/points of view etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

when i first applied my dad knew it was what i wanted to do...was and still anxious but supportive whereas my mom then listens too much to our relatives and friends in the force and worries too much...All she keeps reminding me of is one incident 5years ago with a high-speed car-chase ... Since i told them i'd applied to join friends and relatives have cut-down in their story-telling etc and build up the positive side.

It is tough on everyone in your life. I remember when my first relative joined and the thoughts that run riot in your head are unreal but its really a matter of weighing up and taking all apects into account

• Registered Users Posts: 47 stephen142

well my girlfriend is becoming a nurse. Therefore we understand that both of us will have unsocial hours to attend and ALOT of overtime to do :rolleyes: lol.

But the thing is, i can imagine a perfect life with her when im in the police and her being a nurse.

Also when i get hurt she gets to nurse me better again (literally) lol :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

I keep getting the whole.................you are wasting potential go back to college speel from some members of my " wonderful " family........ which really just shows the misconceptions people still hold towards the GS. .. you know you'd have to be thick as shiiiite and no use anywhere to be a gard blah blah blah.........funnily enough they never bring up the whole you could get shot thing!!!!

Saying that my folks are delighted, they would be very unbiased re. what will the neighbours say, you'll never earn any decent money etc.. because they know what im suited to, where my strenghts and weaknesses lie and will be happy for me no matter what as most parents would....

Feck the begrudgers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭controller

stephen142 wrote: »
    well my girlfriend is becoming a nurse. Therefore we understand that both of us will have unsocial hours to attend and ALOT of overtime to do :rolleyes: lol.

But the thing is, i can imagine a perfect life with her when im in the police and her being a nurse.

Also when i get hurt she gets to nurse me better again (literally) lol :D.

Awwwwwwwwww, the stereotypical coupling of Nurse & Garda!!!:D:D:D Jaysus ye won't need to go to coppers! Seriously cute though.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ScubaDave

Dont forget teachers! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

I remember the first time i went for it 4 or 5 years sgo my mother was seriously freaked out. Didn't get it, but went for it again this year and all my family (that know) are seriously proud of me. They're all looking at the positive sides of the GS and that helped me with my confidence throughout the whole process too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

My dad was a cop and my husband is currently serving and i've now applied to join myself (early days yet though) i think i probably know as well as anyone of the kind of stuff that goes on and though my father (now retired) was never injured on duty my husband was a few years back (before we married) i have to say the threat to personal injury was never an issue with me, the risks come with the job, the gardai are well trained to deal with most eventualities situations will always arise where things can go wrong that's life, it hasn't stopped me applying though the husband is not exactly impressed! I come from a family with 6 Gardai (serving & retired members) directly related to me (not including the hubby), so i have a lot of support & encouragement generally, i guess it's in the genes (though i wouldn't neccessarily like my daughter to join up!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

and ofcourse like any Parent (especially my Mother) is extremly worried. And ofcourse some views come across and stories are told of family members experiences which have happened in the force before.

For example she is trying to Dishearten my by telling me of incidents which my cousin has been though, knocked off his police bike, trauma and other stories which are intended to scare me. However to be honest with you the stories just spurred me on to join up :D lol.

~Stephen

there are more people killed on building sites every year....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 daisey

~Stephen
    hi all, when i told my fokes i wanted to join, my da wasnt that supportive he didnt think there was much opportunity in the gardai and dosent like the fact that the gardai have low manpower he tired to get me to join the army instead :eek: as nearly every male member in my family are soldiers ha eh no thanks on Garda Siochana all the way :D

I keep getting the whole.................you are wasting potential go back to college speel from some members of my " wonderful " family........ which really just shows the misconceptions people still hold towards the GS. .. you know you'd have to be thick as shiiiite and no use anywhere to be a gard blah blah blah.........funnily enough they never bring up the whole you could get shot thing!!!!

By joining the AGS you are going to college, the GARDA COLLEGE!!!!!!!! and if successful you will achieve a Diploma in Police Studies.

Actually a successful guard would require and use a lot more skills and qualities everyday than say someone working in a 9-5 job. Not saying that there aren't some thick guards out there either:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

TheNog wrote: »
    By joining the AGS you are going to college, the GARDA COLLEGE!!!!!!!! and if successful you will achieve a Diploma in Police Studies.

Actually a successful guard would require and use a lot more skills and qualities everyday than say someone working in a 9-5 job. Not saying that there aren't some thick guards out there either:o

sure there are thicks in every walk of life....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

On related note:

My GF spilled the beans to her ma, about me going for the guards, and for some reason she thinks it's great.

Now, I don't mind her knowing, but she told a lot of people as well, so now on all family occasions etc, people comment on it. I don't even mind that, usually people are very encouraging, but there is always one or two who just have to make a comment "You know you have to be a bastard" or"you know you have to be thick", this kind off thing.

Another group is people who for some reason just hate guards, and every time they see me they try to convince me that I'm joining a horrible organisation - last saturday, someone acually asked me if I knew that i am about to join the most corrupt police force in the world. I asked him whether he new anything about any other police forces, he said that he didn't, but he still is right. He is a big RA head actually.

I usually ignore it, or jut give them some polite answer, but lately it's starting to annoy me more and more, so my answers are smarter and smarter. Especially that it's usually the same people making these comments.
    And very often, instead of enjoying myself when we are out, I find myself involved in yet another heated argument, defending GS. And I'm not a very argumentative person, I mean I'd defend my opinion, but I don't need to know that everyone around me thinks the same as I do.

Anyway, do you get anything like that, or is it just me? How do you deal with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭cookie81

Any1 that knows Im joining the GS is making such a big deal/parade about it!
    My brother did say in good heart though "You know now they'll take away your personality and shove a pole your ass" ha ha Im worried Ill turn into a prick to be honest cos from what Ive heard ALOT of poeple think they're ****s cos they're a Garda!

ojewriej wrote: »
    On related note:

My GF spilled the beans to her ma, about me going for the guards, and for some reason she thinks it's great.

Now, I don't mind her knowing, but she told a lot of people as well, so now on all family occasions etc, people comment on it. I don't even mind that, usually people are very encouraging, but there is always one or two who just have to make a comment "You know you have to be a bastard" or"you know you have to be thick", this kind off thing.

Another group is people who for some reason just hate guards, and every time they see me they try to convince me that I'm joining a horrible organisation - last saturday, someone acually asked me if I knew that i am about to join the most corrupt police force in the world. I asked him whether he new anything about any other police forces, he said that he didn't, but he still is right. He is a big RA head actually.

I usually ignore it, or jut give them some polite answer, but lately it's starting to annoy me more and more, so my answers are smarter and smarter. Especially that it's usually the same people making these comments.
    And very often, instead of enjoying myself when we are out, I find myself involved in yet another heated argument, defending GS. And I'm not a very argumentative person, I mean I'd defend my opinion, but I don't need to know that everyone around me thinks the same as I do.

Anyway, do you get anything like that, or is it just me? How do you deal with it?

Alot of my family members are in the guards so I didn't have anyone really try to discourage me from joining. I did get slagged off mostly by those already in the guards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

Sure i was in the a pub in black rock, was a dive to be honest ' WW ' If anyone knows it;), Having a few beers with some mates who live out that way for getting my letter for august.

on two separate occasions people wanted to fight me during the night cus they heard i was becoming a guard. One of which was easily a good 30 years older than me, close to 60 id say. Saying 'he would be waiting outside for me' :D

Madness...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

Dr_MaSoN wrote: »
    Sure i was in the a pub in black rock, was a dive to be honest ' WW ' If anyone knows it;), Having a few beers with some mates who live out that way for getting my letter for august.

on two separate occasions people wanted to fight me during the night cus they heard i was becoming a guard. One of which was easily a good 30 years older than me, close to 60 id say. Saying 'he would be waiting outside for me' :D

Madness...

I Sure know this pub, Full or Ross O'Caroll Kelly wannabees. I used to live on the opposite side of the street, above the pub which used to be called "C".

That's why i don't really advertise that I want to be a guard, what;'s the point arguing with the idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

ye tis the one, but for this night the place was crawling with a different crowd :p

AYe, not like i go around advertising it, havent a clue how these people heard.

Advertisement