Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

insect holes in ash tree

Options
  • 02-04-2008 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I have an ash tree in my garden and i noticed insect holes on a section where the bark is missing.There are a couple of branches dead.I was wondering if anyone know what is boring these holes and what could i treat this tree with to prevent it from dying.The holes are about 1 to 2 mm in diameter.
    Thanks for any help.
    verminator.:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭blackbox

Ash trees are native to Ireland and therefore support a native ecosystem of insects, birds etc. These will not kill it.

Ash trees are very resilient, but it is not unusual for branches to die back. In fact, if you cut the tree down to a stump it will almost certainly grow again. They are well known for being very difficult to get rid of.

If it is a young tree it might be dying because of a problem with the root-ball when planting, though I think this is unlikely. If this is the problem there really isn't anything you can do about it except plant another.

Basically, don't worry about it and definitely don't spray it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 verminator

Thanks Blackbox for all the info.I hope your correct.The tree is about 15 years old.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

blackbox wrote: »
    If this is the problem there really isn't anything you can do about it except plant another.

I am fairly sure that this is not a problem, just nature doing it's thing.
    But, if you have room in the garden, do plant another one, two or three. These beautiful trees need to be cared for and nurtured.
    I have two in my garden, still young, (3 years), but doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 verminator

Thanks dho661.Up Kerry.

Advertisement