Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New house decoration

Options
  • 02-04-2008 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I need to start kitting out my house it is a new build so i need to do everything. I was wondering based on your experience is it better to paint the walls first then lay the tiles or should it be the other way around. Does a tiler also lift the toilet when they are tiling or is it necessary to get a plumber to do this?

Rgds
    Tony

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭blindman

Paint, tile, grout, touch up paint. Depends on the tiler I know one guy who insists that all sanitary ware is removed before he starts tileing, most others are happy to lift/tile around items at your risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

In my opinion using the most expensive paint on a new house is a mistake.

you will get settling cracks over the next year and it will probably need repainting when this happens. Fleet wood paint seems to be middle of the road stuff. All the painters on the sites I worked on use it for the first paint.

Beware of really cheap stuff . avoid.

Make sure you don't paint over the surface to be tiled. The tile adhesive takes better to unpainted plaster surfaces .

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Tony255

Thanks all

Do you know roughly how much grout i will need i need 30 sq ft of tiles and it is for a standard three bed semi for tiles from the hallway into the kitchen, and also how much the grout is likely to cost?

Advertisement