Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Over 2k for alloys?

Options
  • 02-04-2008 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭

BBS CH. 18inch
    http://www.tirerack.com/images/wheels/bbs/swap/bbs_ch_ci3_l.jpg

As above i was quoted some where in the region of 2k+ for a set of alloys off Planet Auto.
    Now what i'm wondering is does any1 know any place that would do these wheels some what cheaper. Of course Planet Auto didn't have them in stock, and would have to order them in. This price includes tyres. I've seen 18" alloys before for alot cheaper than that, so is it just the fact that they are BBS?

Any help appreciated
    LM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,662 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

BBS wheels are going to be expensive regardless of where ever you gt them, and most places would have to order them in.

i dont know where you would go to get them there and then.

and yes 2k is alot for irish roads

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I've seen 22" replica Range Rover stormer alloys with tyres for cheaper than this. Is BBS just an exspensive brand?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Is BBS just an exspensive brand?

Yep, all marketing bs. People have far to much money these days and are willing to pay double for the bbs/kahn etc logo:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Yes they are pretty expensive compared to the usual boyrace crapola- they are higher quality so will hold up on the bumps compared to other brands.

No matter what car you have you should be zigzagging around the rough stuff in which case big 'uns are easy to mind as small 'uns.

I've had several sets of 18s and never had a problem because I stay alert.

Thanks lads,
    I don't think i'll be gettin them in away way cheaper than 2000:(
    If any1 knows of any1 who does BBS replica's give me a shout

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Crikey mikey. Just tried on wheels.ie and over €2700!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

Try Callaghan's :
    Burt Co. Donegal
    Tel: 00353 074 936 8122
    Email: Info@callaghanstyrecentre.com

They can deliver and are very reasonable price wise.

Thanks HJL, will do.
    I can't imagine gettin them cheaper than 2k. Gettin very pessimistic out the whole thing :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Got my 19 inch Ch's for €1600 or so

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

I posted a link for a second hand set of CHs on the other site you posted this on limerick man-i know the wheels in question and the are immaculate!

You can not compare 22" range rover replica wheels to any BBS wheel,in fact in my exp there are few wheel manufacturers that will hold up to a BBS alloy,O.Z being one.

You are paying for strength and light weight-ness(is that a word!! :) ) most repilaca wheels are heavy and soft(go figure) so the average irish road will destroy them,while the weight will destroy your gear box on smaller engined cars and the drink powersteering fluid on most cars,i have exp of this first hand.

I have had a set of BBs wheels on my last 2 cars on iour fine irish roads and while i always try and avoid potholes etc the have taken the odd serious bang and to this day are as straight and as strong as the were new!

The old adage you get what you pay for was never as true,also with certain BBS wheels such as CH's and esp LM's and RC's if you keep them like new the will never depriciate in value.The paying for a logo or badge cynicism doesn't really wash with a proven brand like BBS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

€2k sounds right for new BBS from a shop, I got over €700 for a set of 8 year old average condition BBS Split rims two years ago.

Try E-bay. I've had 4 sets of Alloys off there and apart from a couple of delivery 'misunderstandings', everything has been fine. I've had bought 'genuine' manufacturer wheels and replicas, and never had a problem with any of them and it's even cheaper with the €-Stg rate at the moment.

A lot of the trade sellers may not list delivering to Ireland, but contact them and they may well do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭KidCapree

I've 18" BBS 2 piece LM's on my golf. Bought them a few weeks ago. Now obv i wouldnt have the same experience as tossy or the others but i guarantee you wont be disappointed. See if you know anyone in the mechanic trade who might get you a trade discount. I bought mine for 1100. They're worth about 2 grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

I agree that you get what you pay for, i paid €475 for 15" ICE alloys, including Kumho EST tyres, now the tyres are great and id happily recommend them, but the alloys were bent after 4000 miles. So all ill say is do not cheap out like me and buy ICE alloys!

I've had two sets of 'replica' alloys that took serious punishment, and had no problems. They were slightly heavier than the alloys they replaced, but it was negligible - that seems to be the difference, the two sets of Inovit alloys I had were lighter, but I'd say they were all equally strong.

Then again, BBS is going up a level again.

tossy wrote: »
    I posted a link for a second hand set of CHs on the other site you posted this on limerick man-i know the wheels in question and the are immaculate!

You can not compare 22" range rover replica wheels to any BBS wheel,in fact in my exp there are few wheel manufacturers that will hold up to a BBS alloy,O.Z being one.

You are paying for strength and light weight-ness(is that a word!! :) ) most repilaca wheels are heavy and soft(go figure) so the average irish road will destroy them,while the weight will destroy your gear box on smaller engined cars and the drink powersteering fluid on most cars,i have exp of this first hand.

I have had a set of BBs wheels on my last 2 cars on iour fine irish roads and while i always try and avoid potholes etc the have taken the odd serious bang and to this day are as straight and as strong as the were new!

The old adage you get what you pay for was never as true,also with certain BBS wheels such as CH's and esp LM's and RC's if you keep them like new the will never depriciate in value.The paying for a logo or badge cynicism doesn't really wash with a proven brand like BBS.

I suppose it just never came across to me that the wheels could be so expensive. The only reason i was baffled on price was because the brother bought 18" r32 wheels with tyres for 900. I got an awful shock when i heard over 2k.

The one wheel i fell in love with had to be the most expensive:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

I suppose it just never came across to me that the wheels could be so expensive. The only reason i was baffled on price was because the brother bought 18" r32 wheels with tyres for 900. I got an awful shock when i heard over 2k.

The one wheel i fell in love with had to be the most expensive:rolleyes:

You're missing a word in your post... should be

the brother bought replica 18" r32 wheels with tyres for 900

kdevitt wrote: »
    You're missing a word in your post... should be

the brother bought replica 18" r32 wheels with tyres for 900

HA!:rolleyes: I was going to say it but i knew it would lesser my point:p

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Give this place a ring:

www.daltontyres.ie

I have bought from them before and found them cheaper than any place local.

BBS CH Replicas...no one will know except us ;)

Yes o.z aristos(the MK4 R32 wheel) aren't made anymore so if he got a new set with tyres for 900 euro fair play to him :)

You have to factor in the price fo good rubber too,im a good year F1 man and four corners sets me back around 600 euros on eiretyres or around 1000 euros from the highstreet (if i was that stupid) so if you are pricing a set of decent alloys like CH's eith decent rubber the wheels themselves only stand you maybe 1500 euro.

I had replicas on my last car and i would never go down that road again,when i swtiched form reps to the BBS the difference was unreal! the BBS just felt so much more balanced and made for the car,handling cornering accelerating every aspect improved.

BBS have motorsport heritage that the pass down to their ordinary "road" wheels,and that alone is worth the extra few quid,plus the never go out of fashion and just ooze class unlike your average wolfrace max power wheel.ive had neon clad honda civic drivers admire my wheels and ive had lads in there 50';s driving 745's admire them.

• Advertisement

Gatster wrote: »
    BBS CH Replicas...no one will know except us ;)

Thanks for that Gatster, i emailed him. Will let ye know what kind of price once he emails back. Thanks for the help

tossy wrote: »
    Yes o.z aristos(the MK4 R32 wheel) aren't made anymore so if he got a new set with tyres for 900 euro fair play to him :)

MK5:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

I wanted to buy a set of alloys that are standard on the corolla luna 2006 and I was quoted 649 euro each per alloy at the dealers. When I asked why the price was extortionate, the reply was that certain buyers may trade a terra model as a luna.... so I phoned a dealer in northern Ireland and the price was 228 pounds per wheel excluding shipping. then I tried ebay and bought a similiar set for a 2005 luna for , wait for it, I28 pounds for the 4, brand new, never used and I have to say that I was very happy with what I got, a massive saving of over 2 grand. So basically it appears that u would be better off buying abroad and that price ripp offs dont neccessarily happen to bbs or other brands.

G Luxel wrote: »
    I wanted to buy a set of alloys that are standard on the corolla luna 2006 and I was quoted 649 euro each per alloy at the dealers. When I asked why the price was extortionate, the reply was that certain buyers may trade a terra model as a luna.... so I phoned a dealer in northern Ireland and the price was 228 pounds per wheel excluding shipping. then I tried ebay and bought a similiar set for a 2005 luna for , wait for it, I28 pounds for the 4, brand new, never used and I have to say that I was very happy with what I got, a massive saving of over 2 grand. So basically it appears that u would be better off buying abroad and that price ripp offs dont neccessarily happen to bbs or other brands.

And these high prices from dealers put these wheels second hand in high demand. And sadly, the scum of our country supply these buy robbin them off other cars. I'm only sayin this because i know of two separate cases where wheels were robbed off toyota's.

I wouldn't trust people selling things over the net... It's the way i was rared:rolleyes:

id trust people selling stuff over the net more than id trust the average motor factors/parts guy i can eyeball over the counter is this country,this place is a joke if i was to list things ive bought on the net married with the savings ive made and the lack of problems ive encountered it would be a long list.NOt as long as the list detailing horror stories and bull**** stories ive got in this country from various retail/auto trade people!

Sorry that was off topic but i had to say it. :)

Haha no bother. I just know that if i was to buy something over the net, I would be the ONLY one to get caught out... But then again, if it was a big saving, one would be tempted:rolleyes:

Advertisement