Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three Nights?

• 02-04-2008 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

This has probably been asked before so apologies if it has, I'm only getting in to baseball after a recent trip to Cuba of all places.

I've never been to a MLB game before but I'm gonna be in Chicago for a few nights soon and the White Sox have games on while I'm there. I hope to see a game but what I don't understand is why they play the same team over three nights. What's the deal here? Are they three seperate games? Would one night be better than the other?

Any explanations or tips welcome.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

They play in series (seperate games). It would be unrealistic/not viable to play different teams every night seen as there are 162 games in a regular season. So a team will visit a city and stay there for a few nights.

Personally i like the idea of series. Can help build up tension if say theres an incident in game one, game 2 and 3 will be good. Instead of letting it die down.

The quality of each game depends on things like pitching match-ups etc. Its damn near impossible to say any day will be better than the other. Joys of baseball :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Kinda32

Try to have a look at the probable pitchers for the games a couple of days before you go and there might be a good pitching match on.. I got into baseball in 2001 while in the states and while on a trip up to Toronto i went to a game. I checked in advance, and saw Roger Clemens was pitching so went along to that game..

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

Cheers guys.

I'll do some research in to the players and maybe read some media build-ups too.

I half guessed it was a mini-series of games, just needed confirmation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭WATPOAE

Clum wrote: »
    Cheers guys.

I'll do some research in to the players and maybe read some media build-ups too.

I half guessed it was a mini-series of games, just needed confirmation.

Dont forget travel and the size of the country play a big part also. It wouldn't be feasible to play one game per city and then travel to another as costs would go through the roof and players would get absolutely knackered!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I was at a Cubs game and a White Sox game on the same day-Cubs in the afternoon, White Sox in the evening.

The White Sox experience sucked no end. The stadium is in a trashy part of town, it's new, no atmosphere, the 'hard sell' was too much and so were the tacky lights and displays. Unless you are a White Sox fan or a fan of the opposing team, I don't know if I'd bother.

Wrigley was a whole different game-great atmosphere (despite the fact that the Cubs sucked really bad that year), nice part of town, more history, cheaper beer, plenty to see and do outside the stadium.

Chicago was a a great city anyway-well worth a visit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,890 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Sox Suck! Go Cubs!

As said, US Cellular Field is in a dirty part of the city. If you wanna get a real Chi-town baseball experience you have to go to Wrigely Field. Great atmosphere, bars all around the stadium and hot baseball chicks galore!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

Sort of funny when cricket enthusiast complain about how baseball is only played for one game in one day... ;)

WYK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

lol i've just been watching the Yankees-white sox games and even the commentators have made comments about how you wouldn't want to be alone in some of the parts outside the ground. Great sell, sounds GREAT! :D

Advertisement