Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frozen Soy Beans

Options
  • 02-04-2008 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭

Got excited when I saw bags of Bird's Eye frozen Soybeans in Superquinn the other day, and bought a bag. Then I notice that Tesco have their own range (and it's a euro cheaper by the bag).

Anyway, any nice ideas for how to ingest them? I was thinking of making a risotto with a few... and they can always easily be thrown into a salad... any budding Jamie Olivers out there care to chime in?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 viggi-tea

I have the same question. I find it hard to believe that the most multi-use bean on the planet doesnt have some amazing recipes waiting for its natural form! Strangely, even vegweb.com doesnt have a soya bean section- Has the world gone mad??

I think people prefer to call them edamame. Try searching with that.

I didn't find them remotely digestable. Tell me how you get on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

I throw them from the freezer into a bowl. On high for 2 mins. Sprinkle a bit of pepper & salt. Great high protein, low cal snack or side.

Also good in stirfrys. I like the sound of that risotto...

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

I never got around to making it! Just been putting them into salads. Boring ;)

Which ones are you buying and what do you do with them before you put them into salads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

I have the Bird's Eye ones - they are already shelled, unlike the frozen edamame available in many Asian markets. I just defrost them and throw em in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Lainabaina

does anyone know of anywhere to get them fresh, or is the frozen job just as good for snacking on with a bit of rock salt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭che81

on the question of whole ones, i've tried to get them fresh loads of times, but no one has them. i find the frozen ones fine, and i presume that the japanese restaurants get them frozen too. the whole ones are fine from frozen and with a bit of salt you can't go wrong.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

I've started eating them with a bit of pesto mixed in. Tastes great

Advertisement