Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what snacks.

• 02-04-2008 5:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭

I feel like I'm shuffling nervously into my first WW meeting here :o

But anyway... the weight must go but I'm a serial snacker.... I know that I've just got to turn the habit around and the crisps and crAp must go.... but my little fat body is so used to the nibbling that I feel there will have to be a replacement, at least to start with.

Do the rest of you "nibble" and if so what on? I'm sitting here with a little tub of sunflower seeds in front of me but at 452 kcal per 100g, fat (saturates 3.8g) isn't that a little high for something that says "good4U" on the tub?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Ryvitas will give a crunch and are only 10g each, not sure of the points. You can put low fat soft cheese on them.

The seeds are good for you, that is not a licence to scoff the lot!. Nuts are good for you but very calorie dense, can be 600kcal per 100g, and could be 60% fat.

The main thing to do is control your portion sizes, get a mini digital scales and weigh your portions, after a while you can eyeball them.

Some people do better with ready portioned low weight foods. A pack of malteasers is around half the weight of a mars bar, so ~half the points. Jaffa cakes are light. 3 ryvitas is around the same calories/weight/points as a single slice of mc cambridges brown bread- but seems more substantial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭smiler26

Caramel Snack-a-Jacks... mmmmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

As mentioned, seeds are a great snack, but try buying them in the little bags, not the tubs.

I could eat for Ireland. I have no off-switch, so I have to watch what I eat. Sometimes I find it easier just to say "I'm not going to eat until the next meal time" than to try to find suitable nibbles.

You could also try chewing gum.

Another possibility is 99% chocolate http://www.chocolat.com/browseproducts/Lindt-Excellence-Dark--99--Cocoa-Cacao.html You can get this in a few places in Ireland and it's so strong that you absolutely lose any urge to binge. One or two squares and you've had enough.

A last resort is these http://www.cocooncenter.com/Arkopharma-No-Snacking-2-Be-Slim_4500194.html as you'll have to buy on-line or in France, but they really do kill the urge and the ability to nibble. Once you suck on one, you can't taste anything sweet for about three hours.

EileenG wrote: »

Another possibility is 99% chocolate http://www.chocolat.com/browseproducts/Lindt-Excellence-Dark--99--Cocoa-Cacao.html You can get this in a few places in Ireland and it's so strong that you absolutely lose any urge to binge. One or two squares and you've had enough.

Just a warning this stuff doesn't tastes more like charcoal than chocolate.

I tend to pick constantly when I'm stressed....so I slap a blanket ban on all snacking when I find myelf doing that.

Believe it or not, I actually like it, and would rather eat it than normal chocolate. Another bonus is that after eating the 99% stuff, you can't eat anything less than 85% or it is sick-makingly sweet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I like the small bags of air-poped popcorn and individual tubs of fruit in natural juice. The "options" brand of low cal choc drinks in little sachets are good for a choc hit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭ladyA

I would be wary of chewing gum in that the sugar-free brands usually contain Aspartame and/or sorbitol, both sweeteners are terrible for your health. Those option low-cal drinks also contain aspartame (as does many things such as diet drinks etc) and the public is largely unaware of the known side effects of it.
    For snacks I would recommend Nairns Oatcakes - if you find them a bit hard going at first maybe start off on the finely milled ones which have a biscuit texture - also their biscuits are fantastic for satisfying sugar cravings - the ginger ones are particularly good.
    Ryvita is also another good snack.
    Aside from these, the usual culprits such as the lower sugar varieties of fruits such as apples and small portions of nuts are obviously good for snacking on - but just watch your portion sizes.
    If you fancy a treat, buy one of those small bars of dark green and blacks chocolate, melt 2-3 squares and pour over a few fresh chunks of pineapple/strawberries etc.
    Check the labels of everything you eat and as usual if you don't recognise the ingredient, don't buy it. It amazes me how many people continue to eat foods laden with additives.
    Keep telling yourself your body is a temple and it deserves to be treated as one (and it will be one if you treat it so) Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Thanks for all the tips,
    After browsing here a bit yesterday I made my way over to fitday.com and after fiddling about with it for a while I can't believe how easy it is to build up the calories:eek: so i'm going to try to go cold turkey on the nibbling habit though I'll keep a packet of ryvita in the cupboard for emergencies. i'll start up my food diary tomorrow to keep myself on the straight and narrow.:)

I was browsing somewhere and found an expert recommending that you buy snacks you don't like. That way, you'll have them, but are far less likely to nibble.

I make a point of eating at the table with the tv off. It's amazing how snacks can lose their appeal if you are missing a vital bit of Dr Who.

Advertisement