Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

€1100 for a new head gasket ('00 Astra)

Options
  • 02-04-2008 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine just had his car serviced. Its a 2000 Astra. They told him the headgasket needed replacing. For the part alone, they have quoted him €1100:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Is it just me, or is this a crazy price?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Sounds pretty nuts to me. Are you sure there's not some misunderstanding?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

dump it

they are worth around 3500/3000 euro

wouldnt be worth fixing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Are you sure it wasen't €11.00?
    Labour and the part would not even cost half that! Get backlane mechanic and it will be half nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭jonnner

About 4 years ago I bought a 99 Astra. The garage gave me a 1 month warranty but after about 2 months the head gasket went. I brought it back to the garage and they did the job for me for €350 (it may even of been less) saying that that was cost price.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

grahambo wrote: »
    dump it

they are worth around 3500/3000 euro

wouldnt be worth fixing

Thats his thinking too....trade it in...let the garages worry about it:)

Ya it all seems pretty crazy. He's not happy with that garage anyways. He's going to get a few other quotes on it before he does anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

You should be able to get an engine in fine working order for that car for that money. Unless of course the price includes a load of other work. 11 euro would be more on the mark for the gasket itself.

You should be able to get an engine in fine working order for that car for that money. Unless of course the price includes a load of other work. 11 euro would be more on the mark for the gasket itself.
    jonnner wrote: »
    About 4 years ago I bought a 99 Astra. The garage gave me a 1 month warranty but after about 2 months the head gasket went. I brought it back to the garage and they did the job for me for €350 (it may even of been less) saying that that was cost price.
    Plug wrote: »
    Are you sure it wasen't €11.00?
    Labour and the part would not even cost half that! Get backlane mechanic and it will be half nothing.

My thinking too!

Thanks for all the replies guys....

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

My BF's Dad just did the head gasket on my old car, he charged me nothing for the labour (obviously) and he got the gasket from the supplier for 50e!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Toots85 wrote: »
    My BF's Dad just did the head gasket on my old car, he charged me nothing for the labour (obviously) and he got the gasket from the supplier for 50e!

What's actually involved in changing a head gasket. Is it not just taking the head off, put on new gasket, head on again and set the timing again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

What's actually involved in changing a head gasket. Is it not just taking the head off, put on new gasket, head on again and set the timing again.

You may need new head bolts as well, and all the coolant would need to be drained and replaced as you are taking the head off the engine too. 1100 euro for the full job would be a bit much, never mind just the part!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You may also have to skim the head. Even at that though, €1,100's way too much IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Astras are notoriously tricky to work on(engine wise)
    my mate is a mechanic and he said thier a pain in the ar$e and he is a wizard with cars

The cam shafts and the whole lot have to come out. Then you take the head off. Its more labour than doing a timing belt job.

Astras are notoriously tricky to work on(engine wise)
    my mate is a mechanic and he said thier a pain in the ar$e and he is a wizard with cars
    Fiat are the worst altogher. 14 hours labour for timing belts on some models.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭pooch90

You're after terrifying me now, the head gasket is after blowing on my 00 Astra too. Better not cost that much!!

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

Got the gasket done on mine.

They 'Skimmed' the head gasket, new waterpump and timing belt, fan belt, oil change and service for e700.

Does that sound reasonable?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭pooch90

that sounds much better than 1100!!was it a normal mechanic or dealership?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Plug wrote: »
    Fiat are the worst altogher. 14 hours labour for timing belts on some models.

And I've heard that on the Coupe, the engine must be dropped as there isn't enough clearance between the timing belt and the chassis rail for the work to be done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Older model Astra are notorious for over heating and needing head gasket. I had an Astra 2 years ago with that problem so I just traded it in and let the garage worry about it. I never saw it for sale on their website so I presume they sold it at auction.

Mutz wrote: »

They 'Skimmed' the head gasket, new waterpump and timing belt, fan belt, oil change and service for e700.

I'm back again (I'm the OP). My friend still hasn't got it fixed. He got a second quote today for €700. Still very pricey if you ask me!

Anyone know anyone around Limerick that would be reasonable to try?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

Mutz wrote: »

they skimmed the head.............eh yeh if its a main dealer Id say that aint too far off the going rate I dunno though because Id never pay that price for it

jesus 1100 euro youd put in a red top or something mad for that price

Advertisement