Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modelling a 3D world

Options
  • 02-04-2008 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Hey Folks,

I am planning on modelling an outside 3d world with lots of buildings, walkways, trees, etc. ld like to implement it so it can be accessed from the net but this is not essential. A windows app would be considered also.

What technologies would you recommend to acheive this? I have experience in Java and C#. I have heard about Java3D and JMonkey- are these anygood?

I am at the very early stages of this so I dont have much information on the project.I want to, like a FPS game walk through the world-but also,if a destination was picked it would automatically start walking to this destination. AKA show the user the route on how to get to a specific place.

All comments, ideas , links etc would be very useful.
    Thanks in advance,
    ViperMAN

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Have a look at Microsoft's XNA Framework. Much more powerful than anything I've seen Java do. All in C# too.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,306 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

have to agree. ive been to a lot of XNA talks and ive liked what ive seen. I havent tried C# as of yet though but from all accounts its pretty straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭ViperMAN

Thanks guys,

i'll look into it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

If you want it on the web you need to look at both flash and silverlight. I think silverlight 2 is in beta atm, afaik that's completely done with standard .net code.

Advertisement