Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

custody hearing practical Q

Options
  • 02-04-2008 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi All,

As regards a hearing for joint custody, have any of ye had experience with the day of the hearing itself? Did the hearing take up the whole day or was it a couple of hours?. I am the other other half of a parent with a hearing for joint custody. Unfortunately I have an exam that day and am wondering could I do both!

Many thanks for anyone help, extremely grateful

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

Were you and your partner married? Is custody the only item for resolution or are there access/maintenance/guardianship (if not married) issues also?

If you have an exam that day, I would strongly recommend that you ask for the hearing to be postponed to another day (bring some documentary evidence of your exam dates).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

They are not married and they are not a parent Kildrought, thier current partner is a parent who has a hearing about the custody of thier child.

galwaygirl84 it depends on how busy the courts are, if the case gets pushed back and how complex a matter is which will vary how long the judge wishes to question and hear on the matter. It could go on time and take only a half hour or it could be delayed for 3 hours and take over an hour to hear. There is no way we can know.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Danes

If I were you, I'd sit the exam. Its impossible to say how long the court will take and as youre not one of the parents, you wont be allowed in the court room anyway so you'll just be sitting outside. You might be able to go along to give moral support after your exam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Snowdrop

I agree with Danes, you should do your exam. You might be waiting there until late afternoon and even then you might be sent home. The hearing it's self will probably be very quick and you definately won't be allowed in. I have been in family court quite a few time. Sometimes I have been there all day and sometimes I have been home by 12. Hope it goes well.

Advertisement