Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Irish Independent today BMW prices

Options
  • 02-04-2008 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

anyone see the irish independent today where i think it was on page 2 they did some sample prices of bmw 3 series at post july 1st prices..

they had the 318D ES coming in at around €28k and a bit.

the 320D ES was €40k.

not a bad car if it will be for sale at 28k

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Why such a massive difference? Can't see anyone paying for a 320 if the 318 is that cheap (EDIT: actually I can).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

€28k is a typo I'd say. More like €38k. Will be interesting to see how many 318d's versus 320d's will be sold in July. I've seen far more 320ds than 318ds, but I expect that 316i customers will switch to either this or the 318i, and existing 318i customers to go for a bigger petrol like the 320i, the 320d or the 318d. Hopefully more people will buy the 6 cylinder models(such as people who currently have a 320i/320d), since the gap for road tax etc will be so much smaller post July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

E92 wrote: »
    €28k is a typo I'd say. More like €38k. Will be interesting to see how many 318d's versus 320d's will be sold in July. I've seen far more 320ds than 318ds, but I expect that 316i customers will switch to either this or the 318i, and existing 318i customers to go for a bigger petrol like the 320i, the 320d or the 318d. Hopefully more people will buy the 6 cylinder models(such as people who currently have a 320i/320d), since the gap for road tax etc will be so much smaller post July.

what would you recommend as a good 6 cyl diesel in bmw range?
    im going back to diesel , was considering my options...

is the 2.5 Diesel bmw 6cyl?

it defo said 28k for the 318D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

what_car wrote: »
    what would you recommend as a good 6 cyl diesel in bmw range?
    im going back to diesel , was considering my options...

is the 2.5 Diesel bmw 6cyl?

it defo said 28k for the 318D
    The 325d and 330d are both 3.0 6-cylinders, just in different states of tune.

And this wouldn't be the first example of sloppy journalism in the Indo...

so E92 what sort of 520D would you get for around 45k after july1?

am seriously considering one if they are around 45k for an SE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I'd say the least you'll pay at a dealer will be about 46k for a totally standard car.Metallic paint prob isnt that cheap knowing bmw.That said the standard spec aint too bas.You get subtle 17"alloys for example.To come to think of it, the options will also go down inprice bcos the vrt on the options is the same as the car itself, i believe

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Option prices will become a real challenge for the sales people when the new system comes in. BMW have a lot of options, and each one of them will have several prices according to what car they're going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hi all,

Did they give prices for the 6 Series or just 3 series?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Anan1 wrote: »
    Option prices will become a real challenge for the sales people when the new system comes in. BMW have a lot of options, and each one of them will have several prices according to what car they're going on.

A challenge for buyers and sales people alike. I wonder how they are going to manage it
    Anan1 wrote: »
    And this wouldn't be the first example of sloppy journalism in the Indo...

Understatement of the month :D

And indeed, a BMW 3-series diesel for a similar price as a non-prestige same size diesel car? It's not gonna happen, folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭spuddy

From Motoring Life.
    "Sample" of the pricelist included below, including 28k 318d ES.
    BMW Group July price list:

BMW EfficientDynamics means savings for Irish Consumers

The class leading strategy, known as BMW EfficientDynamics, means that from July 2008 Irish customers buying a new BMW or MINI can expect to make significant savings when the new Vehicle Registration Tax system comes into effect. Of the standard/entry level transmissions on the 253 BMW models, 172 will fall in price, or 68% of the range. Of the 13 MINI models 9 fall in price, or 69%.

Under the banner EfficientDynamics BMW vehicles employ a range technologies such as Brake Energy Regeneration, Auto Start-Stop and Electric Power Steering to help cut fuel bills and emissions. An optimum gearshift change indicator is included to encourage economical motoring. These innovations are in addition to high-precision direct injection engines on some models that further aid engine performance. Instead of producing one-off models or the odd concept car BMW has introduced EfficientDynamics across almost all of its range in 2007.

In Europe, around 40% of new vehicles, or 22 models manufactured by the BMW Group have a maximum emission of 140g CO2/km for model year 2008. This clearly sets us apart from the competition which has only been marketing individual fuel-efficient models to date. The BMW Group is on target to meet its commitment to reduce the CO2 emissions of the combined fleet by 30 per cent by the end of 2008 compared to 1995 figures.

BMW’s award-winning EfficientDynamics programme has recently been honoured with a global award. A jury consisting of 47 motor journalists from 24 countries has awarded the BMW 118d, a model that displays all facets of EfficientDynamics, with the “World Green Car of the Year” at the New York International Auto Show 2008.

Judges of the World Car of the Year Awards praised BMW and its 118d for offering buyers a model with a range of innovative technologies that reduce fuel consumption and cut CO2 emissions as standard. The three- and five-door BMW 118d record an impressive 4.5l/100km on the combined cycle with CO2 emissions of just 119g/km - putting it into the A band for VRT. The BMW 118d now costs €29,192, compared with €34,600 under the outgoing VRT system.

Some sample prices from 1 July 2008:

318i ES Saloon, 2.0-litre petrol, new price €36,366

Reduction -€4,484, 142 CO2 g/km, Band C

318d ES Saloon, 2.0-litre diesel new price €28,206

Reduction -€6,594, 123 CO2 g/km, Band B

320d ES Saloon, 2.0-litre diesel new price €40,935

Reduction -€7,065, 128 CO2 g/km, Band B

520d SE Saloon, 2.0-litre diesel new price €45,057

Reduction -€8,193, 136 CO2 g/km, Band B

2 April 2008

http://www.motoringlife.ie/news_bmw0408.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Excuse my ignorance, what is the difference between the 318D and the 320D?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Oilrig wrote: »

Different bhp and torque afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I cannot see a 318d selling for €28k, the 320d will be selling for a whopping €12k more. That would also put it cheaper than main stream models such as Mondeo, Avensis, etc. I think that is a typo and should read €38k.

Either that or BMW will strip everything bar the steering wheel and seats from the spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

bazz26 wrote: »
    I cannot see a 318d selling for €28k

Neither can I. There must be some kind of mistake / error.

Is www.motoringlife.ie blindly copying the Indo? If so, they might be better off just closing down :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

My BMW dealer is prepared to gaurantee pricing for Post July on a car by car basis - reckon it's the only way he can start building up the order book as no one is even looking at BMW's until pricing is released.

I don't want to post the actual pricing in case of comeback on him, but compared to the figures above:

318d ES - Figure above is out by about €13,000
    320d ES - Figure above is out by about €3,000
    520d SE - Figure above is out by about €4,000

My pricing includes Metallic, Delivery & Starter pack on top of ex. works and they are all more expensive than in the Motoring Life article.

There is a standard price increase factored in to the pricing I'm getting, so ex-works with no extra's the pricing on E92's fantastic spreadsheet is pretty much on the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

bazz26 wrote: »
    I cannot see a 318d selling for €28k, the 320d will be selling for a whopping €12k more. That would also put it cheaper than main stream models such as Mondeo, Avensis, etc. I think that is a typo and should read €38k.

Either that or BMW will strip everything bar the steering wheel and seats from the spec.

Dont know where they are getting 28K from.. Must be a typo

The prices I have are

318d ES €44,800 July: €38,206 -€6,594
    318d SE €47,850 July: €40,807 -€7,043
    318d M Sport €52,470 July: €44,747 -€7,723

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

And indeed, a BMW 3-series diesel for a similar price as a non-prestige same size diesel car? It's not gonna happen, folks!

..............I thought these cars were considered "Rep-Mobiles" nowdays ? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

lynchie wrote: »
    Dont know where they are getting 28K from.. Must be a typo

The prices I have are

These are correct. Also the 520D SE is €46057 and not €45057 as both articles above would have you believe. Jeez, i know the font is small but a bit of care wouldnt go astray.

The prices I have are

Have you any more July prices for BMW:)?

28k is a typo, a 318d costs €29,950 in BMW's home country where they don't have VRT at all.

I posted here last night, answering a few questions people have asked, which has clearly disappeared:(!

Oh well, lets hope I've better luck this time:).

You'd get the basic SE one, which is the best version anyway. Manual of course. You get part electric seats, climate control, auto dimming rear view mirror(interior only), rain sensing wipers all as standard, as well as all the things you'd expect in an executive car: CD, trip computer, loads of airbags, ESP etc.

Gone are the days when BMW supplied you a car and then you had to build the interior yourself;)!

The only thing missing is leather and metallic paint. No split folding rear seats or lumbar support either. It has everything worth having apart from that though. Metallic paint is rather pricey, but because of the lower VRT, the options will also go down in price too.

Lots of people have delayed their delivery of 520ds till July, so get down to a BMW dealer soon if you want one for then. I'm sure BMW will have ordered lots of 520ds for July in expectation that people who would never have considered a 5 series because it was too expensive until now, will now start buying them, whether it's people who had the 3 series and can now afford the 520d, or people who would have considered the 5 series before but it was too dear and now think the 5 series is a good price, or people who are new to BMW entirely. Making the cars a lot cheaper means that BMW is more affordable to the public, and as such presents a huge opportunity for BMW Ireland to increase their market share.
    Oilrig wrote: »

Same engine, different states of tune. The 318d has 143 bhp and 221 lb ft of torque, the 320d has 177 bhp and 251 lb ft of torque. The 320d can be had in an Automatic gearbox as well, and is slightly more polluting of CO2(128 g/km versus 1232 g/km for the 318d), and hence a small bit less economical(though 58.9 mpg as opposed to 60.1 mpg is hardly the end of the world unless you're a complete miser).

The options are going to be fun for anyone involved in BMW.

For the 3 series it's rather complicated I'm afraid!(it even varies if you go for the Touring instead of the saloon for example)

I'll stick with the saloon, since that's what the vast majority of 3 series sales are for here(though where appropriate, it also applies to the Coupé).

4 cylinder diesels with a manual gearbox = 16% VRT.

4 cylinder petrols with a manual gearbox, 318iA(A=autobox), 320dA, 325d = 20% VRT.

All 325 models(bar the 325d manual as described above), the 320iA and the 330d = 24% VRT.

All other 330 models and the 335d(Auto only anyway) = 28% VRT.

335i/335iA = 32% VRT.

M3 = 36% VRT obviously.

The 5 series is easier fortunately(again, saloon only, but the Touring is the same IIRC):).

520d manual = 16% VRT.

520d auto = 20% VRT.

Any other manual diesel = 24% VRT.

All petrols bar the V8s and the M5 and any other diesel auto = 28% VRT.

V8 petrols and M5 = 36% VRT.

The 6 series is 28% VRT for the 6 cylinder engines(i.e. 630i and 635d), and 36% VRT for everything else.

If anyone has a full July pricelist for BMW it would be greatly appreciated if they would link us to it or post it as an attatchment.

Have you any more July prices for BMW:)?

28k is a typo, a 318d costs €29,950 in BMW's home country where they don't have VRT at all.

I posted here last night, answering a few questions people have asked, which has clearly disappeared:(!

Oh well, lets hope I've better luck this time:).

You'd get the basic SE one, which is the best version anyway. Manual of course. You get part electric seats, climate control, auto dimming rear view mirror(interior only), rain sensing wipers all as standard, as well as all the things you'd expect in an executive car: CD, trip computer, loads of airbags, ESP etc.

Gone are the days when BMW supplied you a car and then you had to build the interior yourself;)!

The only thing missing is leather and metallic paint. No split folding rear seats or lumbar support either. It has everything worth having apart from that though. Metallic paint is rather pricey, but because of the lower VRT, the options will also go down in price too.

Lots of people have delayed their delivery of 520ds till July, so get down to a BMW dealer soon if you want one for then. I'm sure BMW will have ordered lots of 520ds for July in expectation that people who would never have considered a 5 series because it was too expensive until now, will now start buying them, whether it's people who had the 3 series and can now afford the 520d, or people who would have considered the 5 series before but it was too dear and now think the 5 series is a good price, or people who are new to BMW entirely. Making the cars a lot cheaper means that BMW is more affordable to the public, and as such presents a huge opportunity for BMW Ireland to increase their market share.

Same engine, different states of tune. The 318d has 143 bhp and 221 lb ft of torque, the 320d has 177 bhp and 251 lb ft of torque. The 320d can be had in an Automatic gearbox as well, and is slightly more polluting of CO2(128 g/km versus 1232 g/km for the 318d), and hence a small bit less economical(though 58.9 mpg as opposed to 60.1 mpg is hardly the end of the world unless you're a complete miser).

The options are going to be fun for anyone involved in BMW.

For the 3 series it's rather complicated I'm afraid!(it even varies if you go for the Touring instead of the saloon for example)

I'll stick with the saloon, since that's what the vast majority of 3 series sales are for here(though where appropriate, it also applies to the Coupé).

4 cylinder diesels with a manual gearbox = 16% VRT.

4 cylinder petrols with a manual gearbox, 318iA(A=autobox), 320dA, 325d = 20% VRT.

All 325 models(bar the 325d manual as described above), the 320iA and the 330d = 24% VRT.

All other 330 models and the 335d(Auto only anyway) = 28% VRT.

335i/335iA = 32% VRT.

M3 = 36% VRT obviously.

The 5 series is easier fortunately(again, saloon only, but the Touring is the same IIRC):).

520d manual = 16% VRT.

520d auto = 20% VRT.

Any other manual diesel = 24% VRT.

All petrols bar the V8s and the M5 and any other diesel auto = 28% VRT.

V8 petrols and M5 = 36% VRT.

The 6 series is 28% VRT for the 6 cylinder engines(i.e. 630i and 635d), and 36% VRT for everything else.

If anyone has a full July pricelist for BMW it would be greatly appreciated if they would link us to it or post it as an attatchment.

i called a dealer down the country and was quoted: for post july 1st delivery.

520 D SE manual €46910

metallic €1010

total 520D SE +metallic = €47920.

bit more expensive than i imagined.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

Is there a big spec difference between 318d ES and 318d SE? Its not on the BMW website.

i called a dealer down the country and was quoted: for post july 1st delivery.

520 D SE manual €46910

metallic €1010

Of course we're quoting ex works pricing. There's always delivery and related charges. Nothing to stop you from haggling with the dealer either if you want one:)!

@Ice_Box: The SE model adds dual zone climate control(as opposed to aircon), rear parking sensors, auto dimming rear view mirror and a multifunction steering wheel to ES spec. 6 cylinder engines have additional extras as standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

520 D SE manual €46910

metallic €1010

As E92 said, prices are ex works and delivery. Above seems right.

Base Price for 520d SE was 54K!

The rest are (assuming manuals)
    520d SE Saloon currently €54,250 Will be €46,057 -€8,193
    520d M Sport Saloon currently €60,700 Will be €51,532 -€9,168
    525d SE Saloon currently €64,550 Will be €59,977 -€4,573
    525d M Sport Saloon currently €71,000 Will be €65,970 -€5,030
    530d SE Saloon currently €70,450 Will be €65,459 -€4,991
    530d M Sport Saloon currently €76,900 Will be €71,452 -€5,448

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

Any truth to the rumour that they are using the motor off a Krupps hairdryer in the 318D?

Either way, watch the lemming line up for "the Ultimate Driving machine" with the performance of a council wheelbarrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

cancan wrote: »
    Any truth to the rumour that they are using the motor off a Krupps hairdryer in the 318D?

No,it's a crippled 320d engine I think..even though the number is 318 it is a 2 litre engine.

Krupps use electric motors in their hairdryers

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭maidhc

As E92 said, prices are ex works and delivery. Above seems right.

Base Price for 520d SE was 54K!

Normally the cash price is less not more than the list price. The most delivery can cost on a 520d is €50 diesel and €150 labour to drive it. A truck will be much cheaper.

I'd say there will be a lot of profiteering going on, and who better to do than BMW main stealers? I'd say prices for the 520d will fall steadily into next year as people start to look at the cost of the car, rather than the VRT saving.

unkel wrote:

I know this isn't the thread, but that car has no justification for costing a bob more than an Avensis or Mondeo.

cancan wrote: »

Either way, watch the lemming line up for "the Ultimate Driving machine" with the performance of a council wheelbarrow.

It does 0-100 in 9.3 seconds and tops out at 210 km/h. Obviously it doesn't hold a candle to even a 330d on that performance but those figures are excellent considering it's an entry level diesel saloon in this category, especially when it's the most CO2 friendly car in it's class at 123 g/km and has a best in class average fuel consumption of 60.1 mpg. Anything from the competition that gets into the same VRT band(well actually nothing does at the moment but that will change in a couple of months) has less power and torque than the 318d, anything from the competition that matches the 318d for performance has higher fuel consumption and CO2, enough to put them into at least the 20% band, and in some cases the 24% band. I'm sure existing 316i and even 318i owners will find it a huge improvement compared to what they have at the moment, and it will only be a small bit dearer than the 316i is today too.

So what this means is that 525d owners can get a 530d in July for the same price as a 525d costs now.

That's good, hopefully people will trade up to it. The 530d is the most popular 5 series in the continent where they don't have VRT or road tax on engine size. Was in one recently, what an engine:D!

I doubt it anyone will go for the 523i in July, a 525d can be had for only €527 more than the 523i costs now. In fairness the 523i is very economical for a 2.5 saloon and actually will come down in price by a small bit too, though the price gap between it and the 520d will be enormous(as in around 12k).

Interestingly once we move off the 520d, the Automatic 6 cylinder 5 series are all in the 28% VRT and €600 road tax category.

It will be extremely fascinating to see what will happen here for petrol versus diesel.

The diesels will be a lot cheaper than their petrol equivalents when they have a manual gearbox, but put an Automatic gearbox, as most 5 series buyers prefer, and the diesels are now dearer, like they are at the moment. They must be one of the very few cars where the petrol model will still be cheaper to buy and won't cost any more to tax than their diesel sisters come July.

If you want a 6 pot 5 series with an Automatic gearbox, there won't be any VRT and road tax penalty for choosing a petrol engine.

I would expect the 520d to continue to take the lions share of 5 series sales and will be responsible for BMW selling far more 5 series than ever before, but the 6 cylinder diesels to get more popular with some existing customers, especially those who want a manual gearbox, and the more powerful 6 pot petrols(i.e. 525i and 530i) still have a bright future ahead for customers who want a 6 cylinder 5 series and an Automatic gearbox, though the 523i is a pointless version in the range from July as there is no way possible it can possibly be 12 grand better than the 520d, an even the automatic 523i will be 10 grand dearer than the 520d, and as lynchie has confirmed for us, the 525d will be roughly the same price as the 523i now but you're getting lower road tax, more power loads more torque and better fuel consumption thrown in too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

maidhc wrote: »
    Normally the cash price is less not more than the list price. The most delivery can cost on a 520d is €50 diesel and €150 labour to drive it. A truck will be much cheaper.

Delivery and related charges is normally €1,000ish on something like a 5-Series. I don't know what it comprises of, but you'll have to pay it or collect the car from the factory in Germany. If you can get a truck from Munich to Dublin for €150, you'll save yourself a few quid...
    I'd say there will be a lot of profiteering going on, and who better to do than BMW main stealers? I'd say prices for the 520d will fall steadily into next year as people start to look at the cost of the car, rather than the VRT saving.

The first distributor to say they'll pass on all savings
    The first to release their prices
    I'm not too worried about profiteering from BMW tbh...

People are well informed, they're not stupid. They'll compare the pricing of the 5-Series, E-Class and A6 and decide which represents best value. They'll then visit 2 or 3 BMW dealers to get the best price, profiteering is pretty hard in car sales.

People think that the 5-Series is good value at the moment (based on recent sales figures), the improved pricing will make it more desirable (unless you're looking for exclusivity), people won't be distracted by the saving, they'll make their informed choices.

I know this isn't the thread, but that car has no justification for costing a bob more than an Avensis or Mondeo.

Start a new thread for this one and see what reaction you get on it. Maybe put in a poll too. Make sure to include the option of Atari Jaguar...

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Krupps use electric motors in their hairdryers

If you see any Krupps on the road they will likely a Mercedes engines, or two.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Wheresmejumper8

That 28k is definitely a Typo! :confused: It should be 38k. I think the indo article misquoted on the 650i also.

Attached is a full list of the all prices released to the press, I got them from a Dublin Chamber of Commerce meeting yesterday.

There is €10,500 coming off the 320d M Sport Convertible!!! :cool: I have heard from a dealer that the bmw.ie site will be showing July prices on their configurator at some point next week

Advertisement