Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Irish Independent today BMW prices

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

E92 wrote: »
    It does 0-100 in 9.3 seconds and tops out at 210 km/h. Obviously it doesn't hold a candle to even a 330d on that performance but those figures are excellent considering it's an entry level diesel saloon in this category, especially when it's the most CO2 friendly car in it's class at 123 g/km and has a best in class average fuel consumption of 60.1 mpg. Anything from the competition that gets into the same VRT band(well actually nothing does at the moment but that will change in a couple of months) has less power and torque than the 318d, anything from the competition that matches the 318d for performance has higher fuel consumption and CO2, enough to put them into at least the 20% band, and in some cases the 24% band. I'm sure existing 316i and even 318i owners will find it a huge improvement compared to what they have at the moment, and it will only be a small bit dearer than the 316i is today too.

So what this means is that 525d owners can get a 530d in July for the same price as a 525d costs now.

That's good, hopefully people will trade up to it. The 530d is the most popular 5 series in the continent where they don't have VRT or road tax on engine size. Was in one recently, what an engine:D!

I doubt it anyone will go for the 523i in July, a 525d can be had for only €527 more than the 523i costs now. In fairness the 523i is very economical for a 2.5 saloon and actually will come down in price by a small bit too, though the price gap between it and the 520d will be enormous(as in around 12k).

Interestingly once we move off the 520d, the Automatic 6 cylinder 5 series are all in the 28% VRT and €600 road tax category.

It will be extremely fascinating to see what will happen here for petrol versus diesel.

The diesels will be a lot cheaper than their petrol equivalents when they have a manual gearbox, but put an Automatic gearbox, as most 5 series buyers prefer, and the diesels are now dearer, like they are at the moment. They must be one of the very few cars where the petrol model will still be cheaper to buy and won't cost any more to tax than their diesel sisters come July.

If you want a 6 pot 5 series with an Automatic gearbox, there won't be any VRT and road tax penalty for choosing a petrol engine.

I would expect the 520d to continue to take the lions share of 5 series sales and will be responsible for BMW selling far more 5 series than ever before, but the 6 cylinder diesels to get more popular with some existing customers, especially those who want a manual gearbox, and the more powerful 6 pot petrols(i.e. 525i and 530i) still have a bright future ahead for customers who want a 6 cylinder 5 series and an Automatic gearbox, though the 523i is a pointless version in the range from July as there is no way possible it can possibly be 12 grand better than the 520d, an even the automatic 523i will be 10 grand dearer than the 520d, and as lynchie has confirmed for us, the 525d will be roughly the same price as the 523i now but you're getting lower road tax, more power loads more torque and better fuel consumption thrown in too.

e92 seeing as you have done a lot of looking into prices in july,
    are there any other car makes where good savings are to be had?

ie merc/audi/volvo?

is any other car makes prices going to drop as much as the bmw's?

following on from the July pricing, i reckon that Second hand current bmw 520d 320d etc are going to take a good hit in depreciation?? and would be a good buy second hand?

i spoke with honda and they say that prices on diesel accords wont change that much in july. they have reduced prices already i was told.. and are offering 6mths free road tax on new cars.

im tempted to try a new bmw for the first time, but want to fully investigate what the alernatives are first!

i would guess that based on the new pricing, that second hand 07 520D SE models will be had for €40k approx after July 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

That 28k is definitely a Typo! :confused: It should be 38k. I think the indo article misquoted on the 650i also.

Attached is a full list of the all prices released to the press, I got them from a Dublin Chamber of Commerce meeting yesterday.

There is €10,500 coming off the 320d M Sport Convertible!!! :cool: I have heard from a dealer that the bmw.ie site will be showing July prices on their configurator at some point next week

Yeah, Thats the same list I have. Guess its out in the open now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

How does it compare to the current Dutch prices ?

AFAIK .. you get raped here on Import tax if you drive it in from Germany :(

bmwnederland3xmi2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

what_car wrote: »
    i would guess that based on the new pricing, that second hand 07 520D SE models will be had for €40k approx after July 1st

The funny thing is that I got an email from Joe Duffy Motors last week trying to flog off a load of ex management 07 520d M sports. They were selling them for 69K but with 9K knocked off them leaving the price in around 59K. Funny thing is that a new 08 post july would cost only 56K!! Granted the spec that was quoted had extras in it as well, but at 69K was way overrated.

Will be interesting to see what happens to the price of all the 07 520d come july.

lynchie wrote: »
    The funny thing is that I got an email from Joe Duffy Motors last week trying to flog off a load of ex management 07 520d M sports. They were selling them for 69K but with 9K knocked off them leaving the price in around 59K. Funny thing is that a new 08 post july would cost only 56K!! Granted the spec that was quoted had extras in it as well, but at 69K was way overrated.

Will be interesting to see what happens to the price of all the 07 520d come july.

some dealers with 520D models second hand in stock like 06 07 i rekon will have to reduce prices to sell them or end up getting stuck with them on the forecourts. as people are holding off now on purchasing cars.

the cars that the dealers have in stock second hand eg 520D in 06 07 years,
    will drop in value, and dealers could get stung? :D

i rekon that some bargains will be coming up soon!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

lynchie wrote: »

indeed, I had a look at some of these a few weeks back and they were not interested in budging on price. They were looking for 20k too much imo. They had one for 58k with just leather and mettalic, which is ~ 4k dearer than a new one will be in july.

So taking 25% off for being a year old, I'd say it is worth ~ 40k. Then if you alllow for the fact it costs 500 more a year to tax, which could finance an extra 3k over 5 years than the most they are worth in my opinion is 37k.

Of course the dealers don't appear to see it like that, so I can think whatever I want I guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

A pre 08 520d will be worth a lot less than a 08 520d, no doubt about it.

Why would you pay nearly 4 times the amount of road tax in a manual, or over double the amount of road tax in an Auto, for a car with no EfficientDynamics and inferior fuel consumption as well as less power?

Pre 08 520ds will be a steal from July. Anyone woh was stupid enough to get a new one this year has been given a pardon, after July, you can get any 08 car switched over to the new tax system so at least those 520d owners won't have cars that are completely undesirable.

I'd say other 5 series models will also take a big depreciation hit too. The 525d and 530d are exactly 3 times more to tax if they're a manual and on a pre 08 plate, all other 6 cylinder 5 series(bar the 523i) will be more than twice the amount to tax if they're not on an 08 plate too.

On the plus side, 6 cylinder 5 series from 08 onwards should be much more desirable used than they are presently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Lads in post 11 from Spuddy it says the 118d will cost 29k, so its deffo a typo on the 318d, i'd say 38k is about right.

copacetic wrote: »
    indeed, I had a look at some of these a few weeks back and they were not interested in budging on price. They were looking for 20k too much imo. They had one for 58k with just leather and mettalic, which is ~ 4k dearer than a new one will be in july.

So taking 25% off for being a year old, I'd say it is worth ~ 40k. Then if you alllow for the fact it costs 500 more a year to tax, which could finance an extra 3k over 5 years than the most they are worth in my opinion is 37k.

Of course the dealers don't appear to see it like that, so I can think whatever I want I guess!

its quite simple, if dealers want to sell the 07 second hand stock then they will have to drop the prices... as most people i rekon would stretch a bit further to buy the new car with cheaper road tax.

e92 seeing as you have done a lot of looking into prices in july,
    are there any other car makes where good savings are to be had?

ie merc/audi/volvo?

is any other car makes prices going to drop as much as the bmw's?
    Other cars have the potential to go down in price(A6 2.0 TDI, S80 2.0D and D5, Merc E220 CDI, Saab 9-5 diesel), but nothing like as much as the 520d. They will be going from 30% to 24% VRT, compared to the drop of 30% to 16% with the 520d. FWIW BMW 6 pot diesel manuals(i.e. 525d and 530d) are in the same VRT category as 4 cylinder cars from BMW's rivals, but obviously are far more powerful than those 4 cylinder cars(well the 520d already is more powerful than those anyway).

The auto versions here will be going to 28% VRT, while the 520d will be 20%. By comparison 28% VRT can get you a 530i Automatic believe it or not or a 535d with BMW.

Of course Audi have a facelifted A6 on the way later on in the year, with a 12% CO2 and fuel consumption improvement coming with it.

• Advertisement

A pre 08 520d will be worth a lot less than a 08 520d, no doubt about it.

Why would you pay nearly 4 times the amount of road tax in a manual, or over double the amount of road tax in an Auto, for a car with no EfficientDynamics and inferior fuel consumption as well as less power?

Pre 08 520ds will be a steal from July. Anyone woh was stupid enough to get a new one this year has been given a pardon, after July, you can get any 08 car switched over to the new tax system so at least those 520d owners won't have cars that are completely undesirable.

I'd say other 5 series models will also take a big depreciation hit too. The 525d and 530d are exactly 3 times more to tax if they're a manual and on a pre 08 plate, all other 6 cylinder 5 series(bar the 523i) will be more than twice the amount to tax if they're not on an 08 plate too.

On the plus side, 6 cylinder 5 series from 08 onwards should be much more desirable used than they are presently.

do any of the 520D cars have ED that were registered in 2007?
    in my earlier post i took a guess at €40k for a 2007 520d se after july.
    what do you think?

it might be a better option to buy a 2007 one with low mileage, if the price is right?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

The BMW configurator should be updated today with the new post July pricing. Currently isn't done but the dealers were told it would.

If it doesn't make it today then should be Monday.

Officially ED came in in September, but since nobody buy a new car in September, I seriously doubt it that there are any around on an 07 plate.

Since the UK changes it's number plates in September(and March), I would say there are plenty of them over there though.

But you'll still be paying higher road tax of course, and our own models will be fantastic value in July anyway. There will be a huge oversupply of used ones in July I'm sure, cause plenty of buyers who were going to get a new one in January have deferred their 520ds for 3 months time.

ED models with a manual gearbox have an optimum gear indicator and also have auto start stop.

Auto models have the new shift by wire gearbox. It looks very like a joystick. The gears are marked on the lever itself. Non ED models have the traditional gearbox with the gears marked beside the gaiter.

The exhaust pipe is chrome on ED models, non ED models have a matt finish.

Officially ED came in in September, but since nobody buy a new car in September, I seriously doubt it that there are any around on an 07 plate.

Since the UK changes it's number plates in September(and March), I would say there are plenty of them over there though.

But you'll still be paying higher road tax of course, and our own models will be fantastic value in July anyway. There will be a huge oversupply of used ones in July I'm sure, cause plenty of buyers who were going to get a new one in January have deferred their 520ds for 3 months time.

ED models with a manual gearbox have an optimum gear indicator and also have auto start stop.

Auto models have the new shift by wire gearbox. It looks very like a joystick. The gears are marked on the lever itself. Non ED models have the traditional gearbox with the gears marked beside the gaiter.

The exhaust pipe is chrome on ED models, non ED models have a matt finish.

thanks for that, i wouldnt really mind paying the old road tax rate, if i found a really low mileage 07 520d at the right price!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

yea, 1series convertible starts at 47,400 before you even spec it up! shocking money for a car like that... you're only buying a badge!

steve06 wrote: »
    yea, 1series convertible starts at 47,400 before you even spec it up! shocking money for a car like that... you're only buying a badge!
    It's 42k now, and will be €37,835 in July for the entry level 118i ES.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Wheresmejumper8

The car configurator on www.bmw.ie and www.mini.ie is now showing the 1 July pricing for models and optional equipment.

Some models are missing but these will be online in the coming days...:)

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

The car configurator on www.bmw.ie and www.mini.ie is now showing the 1 July pricing for models and optional equipment.

Some models are missing but these will be online in the coming days...:)

cheers, options seem to be correct on pricing too now for july..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

Official post July prices for BMW and Mini attached :) Fair play to BMW!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

craichoe wrote: »
    How does it compare to the current Dutch prices ?

AFAIK .. you get raped here on Import tax if you drive it in from Germany :(

Officially it's not an import tax. Import tax within the EU is illegal ;)

In Holland they call it "BPM", in Ireland they call it "VRT". The two are very similar burdens indeed...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

anyone see the irish independent today where i think it was on page 2 they did some sample prices of bmw 3 series at post july 1st prices..

they had the 318D ES coming in at around €28k and a bit.

the 320D ES was €40k.

not a bad car if it will be for sale at 28k

You might enjoy this article

http://www.vetcar.ie/default.asp?p=6

"From the BMW Press Office

BMW EfficientDynamics means savings for Irish Consumers

The class leading strategy, known as BMW EfficientDynamics, means that from July 2008 Irish customers buying a new BMW or MINI can expect to make significant savings when the new Vehicle Registration Tax system comes into effect. Of the standard/entry level transmissions on the 253 BMW models, 172 will fall in price, or 68% of the range. Of the 13 MINI models 9 fall in price, or 69%. "

Personnally I believe Beemer's are totally overrated but to each their own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I wonder will the day come in Ireland when people make comments about how the 3 series is anonymous in car parks, and that the Avensis is a thing of beauty and something different?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

JHMEG wrote: »
    I wonder will the day come in Ireland when people make comments about how the 3 series is anonymous in car parks, and that the Avensis is a thing of beauty and something different?

The first bit, maybe. But the Avensis a thing of beauty? Eh no. ;)

unkel wrote: »
    The first bit, maybe.
    I would have thought it's already there. Some denouncers of BMWs on this site tell us that you shouldn't buy a BMW because the drivers are "w*****s" and that they are "as common as muck". As the UK shows(where the 3 series outsells the Mondeo, it does nothing of the sort here) just because it's a big seller doesn't mean it's any the less desirable.

The new Avensis is much better looking than the current one IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Wheresmejumper8

As the UK shows(where the 3 series outsells the Mondeo, it does nothing of the sort here).

- I think that point was mention by Top Gear before and is typical of Jeremy Clarksons bending the truth and failing to mention that the 3 Series figure includes the Coupe and Convertible derivatives, if you strip it down to Saloon and Estate - the Mondeo has the higher numbers.

I agree with the point on vehicle saturation and I reckon that the success of the Lexus IS is partly down to this factor (along with the new diesel enginge) - people like to espress their individuality sometimes by going against the grain...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I would have thought it's already there.
    There are loads and loads of 3-series about, and carrying on from another thread, I wonder what proportion of owners know they're RWD... My father-in-law had a 520 for seven years before he found out it was RWD (I told him).

A mate has an S320 and I told him it was RWD, to which he asked surprisingly "what does that mean?", to which I replied "a slightly better turning circle" as in reality that's all it'll ever mean to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

I think all this BMW price buzz is going to mean different things to different people. Atmitedly it will bring 'The ultimate driving machine' to the masses but may turn away many of the original die hard enthusiasts who will now undoubtably see a lot more. When the one series was launched a certain amount of animosity was voiced from certain corners, 'What are they doing' 'Shouldn't have been made' 'Sure they have the Mini' again was echoed with the launch of the 316. The two tier system has already begun with how your car is kitted out, have listened to the nonsense that 'ah well has to have the chrome grill slats and double exhaust to be considered a real BMW they're the ones with the 6 pot'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

JHMEG wrote: »

3 Series ARE anonymous in car parks...the Gardaí have them now ffs!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ninty9er wrote: »
    3 Series ARE anonymous in car parks...the Gardaí have them now ffs!!
    Most are anonymous but as with all cars there are distinctive ones out there!
    The fact that the gardai have them doesn't really mean anything.

• Advertisement
Advertisement