Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do I get my firefox bookmarks from old OS

• 02-04-2008 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

I had to reinstall vista onto a new drive, is it possible to get my firefox bookmarks from the other installation ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,027 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Can you log onto the old installation? If not, it's not likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

nah can't login, thought they might just be located in a file that I could import

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,027 ✭✭✭✭Basq

No.

As far as I know, you need to export them in the 'Bookmarks' area to a HTML file (by default named 'bookmarks.html').

I could be wrong though.. so don't take my answer as gospel just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

if ya do manage to log on , click bookmarks, organise bookmarks, click the folder you want to export, click file in toolbar, export , and choose destination that is suitable ,
    and to go back in , click bookmarks, organise bookmarks, file in toolbar and import the .html file that ya saved earlier.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

Assumptions : Using Windows XP, Have used the command prompt

You don't need to be able to log on to it as long as you can access it. If your new primary drive is c:\ for example and the old drive is connected as, say, f: then go Start\Run and type cmd and <enter>

then type "cd F:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\" (Don't include braces, they're for ease of reading)

so if your username on the old drive was "John" you'd type

cd f:\Documents and Settings\John\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\

At the command line type dir | more and it'll show you all the different Firefox profiles on that drive. They're in the format [8 letters and numbers].profile . Most likely you've only got one profile in which case it'll be [8 letters and numbers].default but you could have others.

When you find the one you want type cd [8 letters and numbers].<profile>

If you type dir at this stage you'll see all the files in this folder. The one you're interested in is called bookmarks.html .

To copy to the new primary drive type "copy bookmarks.html <new drive letter>\bookmarks.html" (again no braces)

The bookmarks file is now on the new primary drive. I don't know how to import that but I can't imagine it'd be too hard. If you have any trouble with this drop me a PM and I'll try and talk you through it .

HTH.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Thanks outshined thats brill, I got the bookmarks.html file and to import it you just go bookmarks -> organise then file import, all sorted :) I'd hate to have to build them all up again, thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

Glad it worked out for you man. Yeah, it'd be terrible having to build it up again, you end up with so many good sites in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭standbyme

Sorry to bring up an old post, but i was lookin for my bookmarks as well, & i think i found them here \Documents and Settings\<User Name>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ & look for the biggest size as it also has a .bak file? the same size. As i'd done a search with bookmarks* & come up with a few.

But it doesnt have all of them, i'm just wondering as the pc was getting fixed & as a result everything was backed up before the drive was wiped & put back, but some i had to install again inc. Firefox, so would it have been replaced?
    Yeah, it'd be terrible having to build it up again, you end up with so many good sites in there.
    :eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

someone will be along shortly to recommend an extension that backs up your favourites , to file or web or mail or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Foxmarks is the one with all the *buzz*.

I'm the guy Capt'n Midnight warned you about!

• Advertisement
Advertisement