Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

local / independent stations - what the frik?

• 02-04-2008 7:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭

for a start, I should declare that I work in tv & radio, but try this for size...

twice in the last 3 weeks I have seen a most odd and frankly disgusting trend developing. someone decided to put on a gig in a venue and asked a local independent radio station if they'd like to do an outside broadcast from it, either live or a recording.

the 1st station was in fact organising the gig and promoting a free gig itself, ie: part of a regular weekly programme. not only would they not pay any travel expenses or 'appearance fee' (usually a pittance, say €100) to the 4 bands, 3 of whom traveled from out of town, they wanted €1500 from the venue, because they reckoned it was promoting the venue and therefore considered advertising. I should also mention that the venue gave the facility for FREE to the radio station.

the 2nd station, I heard tonight, wanted €2000 (from whom it's not exactly clear) to broadcast a DJ gig as part of its own dance show, though one of the organisers works for the same station. - as a DJ...

are these station managers & programme directors on drugs?

they're getting talent (though I'd gladly argue that one when it comes to DJ's) and programming for free, while promoting the STATION to the listeners and the punters.

before anyone gets all bent out of shape and tries some spin about RTE, they PAY all artists an appearance fee - no exceptions, and the recording facilities are provided either by them or at their expense.

sweet baby jesus - what has this country and radio in this country come to???

g :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

before anyone gets all bent out of shape and tries some spin about RTE, they PAY all artists an appearance fee - no exceptions, and the recording facilities are provided either by them or at their expense.

And.....how much does Twink get? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Bear in mind that most operators would prefer you to replace the "local / independent" in your thread title with the word "commercial"; that probably explains it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭godfrey

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Bear in mind that most operators would prefer you to replace the "local / independent" in your thread title with the word "commercial"; that probably explains it.

yup, you're not wrong there, and so is 2fm... and also many other locals/commercials/independents who DO give something back to artists etc...

it's no coincidence I'm sure that the 2 stations in question aren't 'stand alone' operators but rather parts of multi-station operations.

oh well...

g

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Liam Byrne wrote: »

I was reading your post before I logged in, you had a brilliant signature at the end :). Well done, funny thing though, when I logged in the signature had disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Manimal

godfrey wrote: »
    for a start, I should declare that I work in tv & radio, but try this for size...

twice in the last 3 weeks I have seen a most odd and frankly disgusting trend developing. someone decided to put on a gig in a venue and asked a local independent radio station if they'd like to do an outside broadcast from it, either live or a recording.

the 1st station was in fact organising the gig and promoting a free gig itself, ie: part of a regular weekly programme. not only would they not pay any travel expenses or 'appearance fee' (usually a pittance, say €100) to the 4 bands, 3 of whom traveled from out of town, they wanted €1500 from the venue, because they reckoned it was promoting the venue and therefore considered advertising. I should also mention that the venue gave the facility for FREE to the radio station.

the 2nd station, I heard tonight, wanted €2000 (from whom it's not exactly clear) to broadcast a DJ gig as part of its own dance show, though one of the organisers works for the same station. - as a DJ...

are these station managers & programme directors on drugs?

they're getting talent (though I'd gladly argue that one when it comes to DJ's) and programming for free, while promoting the STATION to the listeners and the punters.

sweet baby jesus - what has this country and radio in this country come to???

g :mad:

I'm not too sure I understand your anger. A venue was running a commercial venture and wanted further exposure through a local media outlet. Media outlet says sure, but we want some bread too. I don't see the problem there TBH

• Advertisement
Advertisement