Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

References before contract?

Options
  • 02-04-2008 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

I'm hoping to be in the position to hand in my notice soon and I'm just wondering when I get a new job when should I give them references? I have to put my current employer down as this was my first job out of college. So if they offer me the job and ask for references but I don't have the contract yet, is it ok to give the reference? Be worried they wouldn't hire me then and I'd be in trouble with my current employer!

Any advice would be great, cheers!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Typical practice is that jobs are offered after a reference check. Sometimes offers are made subject to a reference check. Occasionally companies will reference check multiple candidates and only offer the job to one. In short, you're not going to get a contract prior to a reference check.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

notsure wrote: »
    Be worried they wouldn't hire me then and I'd be in trouble with my current employer!

Never not inform people you're using them as a reference. It's playing with fire and looks unprofessional if the reference says that they didn't know they were used as a reference etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

I agree with nesf; if you are using anyone in your current employment as reference you MUST inform them before hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Explain to the potential employer that ringing your current employer might be a problem.

Personally I would never give my current employer as a reference. It could get messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

thanks guys, obviously I'd have to tell them if they were one of my references, but then I'd also have to give in my notice and might not have another job to go to. Problem is my college job was with this company too so I'd have trouble coming up with other references!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Could you use someone in your current company who is not your direct boss?

Don't hand in your notice until you have a contract for the new job. I was offered a job (at a university, which I thought was a safe enough bet) but had to hand in my notice at previous university before the contract arrived (HR person was on holidays). When contract did arrive the salary was 10% lower than I had agreed to when accepting job (by phone). Of course I had noting in writing so was screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

dublindude wrote: »
    Explain to the potential employer that ringing your current employer might be a problem.

Personally I would never give my current employer as a reference. It could get messy.

You may have to use someone from your current employer though. If you're in a job for a few years, a reference from a previous company will be out of date and not much use to you.
    Could you use someone in your current company who is not your direct boss?

That's really the best idea, and what I did when leaving my last job. If it's someone you can trust to say nothing to anyone if it doesn't pan out, then you're pretty much covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

How have people here dealt with application forms for local authority jobs which ask you to give names of referees on the application form?

I'm thinking of applying for a position in the county council but I don't relish the thought of telling my bosses that I'm putting their names on an application form for a new job, and therefore letting them know far too early in the job-hunting stage that I'm thinking of moving on.

Would it be silly to just put "references available on request"?

I've worked in my current job since graduation so I don't have any referees other than in my current job.

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Morgase wrote: »
    How have people here dealt with application forms for local authority jobs which ask you to give names of referees on the application form?

I'm thinking of applying for a position in the county council but I don't relish the thought of telling my bosses that I'm putting their names on an application form for a new job, and therefore letting them know far too early in the job-hunting stage that I'm thinking of moving on.

I've worked in my current job since graduation so I don't have any referees other than in my current job.

Thanks in advance.

When I got my job in the civil service I was having some difficulty with a previous employer who was being very slow to hand over the reference, which was ridiculous since the reference was a council-provided form where she just had to tick some boxes and then sign it. Anyway, I was told by the lady in HR in the council that I wouldn't be given a starting date until this was sorted. I said I could get her another reference quicker and she said it had to be my last employer.

I don't think "references available on request" would look all that great.

If your direct boss would be messy for you I would agree with those who suggested you put someone else down that you work with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

Morgase wrote: »

Thanks in advance.

I would put current employers name as referee on application but put in very clearly that I am to be contacted prior to ANY contact with current employees. That should protect you from your boss being called with out knowing and should give you time to have a word with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

Thanks for the replies, I have a better idea of what to do now. :)

Advertisement