Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CB Radios

• 02-04-2008 8:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Ok so i'm not talkin about the taxi radios, which i believe are analogue?? But the same ones Truckers have, which are digital i believe? Anyway, buddy priced a radio and aerial at €170. Now if i'm gonna pay that i wanna know that i'll get some good range out of it. It's not one of those big feck off magnetic aerials but one that is fitted permanently. But back to my question, can anyone point me in a direction or give me advice on some good CB radio brands or give me information on what i should be lookin for. Would a magnetic one be better?? Bigger aerial better range?? Better radio better range?? etc etc.. cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Have you a license?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭KidCapree

do u need one?? a licence for what exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

An amateur radio license. These things broadcast on licensed spectrum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateur_radio_license

http://www.irts.ie/cgi/index.cgi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

A CB radio transmits on 27mhz which is still the bandit band and is allocated for Citizen Band and doesn't require a licence as far as I'm aware.

To answer your question on antennas, the bigger the antenna does not mean further range but means lower frequency. The longer the whip the lower the frequency the shorther the whip the higher the frequency.

There are 2 bands that can be used without a licence and they are 27mhz which will require a tall antenna and 446mhz (PMR) which is a small micro wave antenna with limited range and legal power restrictions.

If you decide to go with a CB Radio make sure it has SSB which still has activity in Ireland and around Europe and the States, and with the correct conditions you will be able to make contact with any place it the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭KidCapree

Cocoon wrote: »
    A CB radio transmits on 27mhz which is still the bandit band and is allocated for Citizen Band and doesn't require a licence as far as I'm aware.

To answer your question on antennas, the bigger the antenna does not mean further range but means lower frequency. The longer the whip the lower the frequency the shorther the whip the higher the frequency.

There are 2 bands that can be used without a licence and they are 27mhz which will require a tall antenna and 446mhz (PMR) which is a small micro wave antenna with limited range and legal power restrictions.

If you decide to go with a CB Radio make sure it has SSB which still has activity in Ireland and around Europe and the States, and with the correct conditions you will be able to make contact with any place it the world.

Cheers for that byy ;) Think i'll google around and do a bit of research.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭Fey!

President radios tend to be popular here, with the magnetic based aeriels which can go in the boot when they're not in use.

As for range, it's limited, and not a lot of people seem to use them here any more, although I've found that they're very popular in Poland. However, they're very handy if you're driving in convoy.

You don't need a license for CB radios; you do, however, need a licence for HAM or VHF, iirc.

And most people tend to leave their radios on channel 19, so that you don't have to keep manually scanning. A lot of radios have a button that puts you straight on to channel 19.

Word of advice: when you install your radio, which is very simple to do, make sure you connect your aeriel and mic before you connect the power.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Fey! wrote: »
    Word of advice: when you install your radio, which is very simple to do, make sure you connect your aeriel and mic before you connect the power.

Hey Fey why's this? Never heard that before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

Does anyone still use them.

They operate on analogue frequencies not digital. President and Realistic were the most popular radio's back in the 80's.

A magnetic aerial is usually you best choice, to use a whip you need to know how to set it up and you will need a VSWR and Power meter to set it up properly or you will blow your Radio / Transmitter.

The range will be subject to weather conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Cobra were a good brand too - but in the era of mobile phones I would have thought that CB was all but dead.

27MHz which is short wave - similar but higher frequency to what aircraft use when crossing vast oceanic regions - Atlantic, Pacific, etc (SELCAL, for example). Unreliable and dogged by intererence but essentially it does work. With a decent aerial and some seriously good 'skip' you can chat to other CB users across the planet - IIRC it was referred to as good DXing. Always better if you went 'on the side'. USB or LSB was the only way to DX.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭afatbollix

rally organisers use them to run rallys... maybe this is the reason above? find out when cars are starting and so on....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

anto-t wrote: »
    rally organisers use them to run rallys... maybe this is the reason above? find out when cars are starting and so on....

Different system, Most CB's won't pick up the signal, that's why ya see folks with scanners...

Used a CB (president Jimmy)for a fair while in the 80's, good crack. The Italian Skip was gas to listen to, ecco mic's etc...And lets not forget the mad USA Bible thumper shouting about Satan and all things evil :D

CQ, CQ, CQ, DX This Ecco Sierra Alpha Tango on standby for a radio check...Might plug it in again sometime

10-6 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭RobbieMc

I use a midland 40 channel in the Car.
    Mostly used for club days out, but you can get into some interesting "chats" with truckers around the country.

Can also come in handy when your stuck up a mountain and you need help :rolleyes:

Any hoo, 10-4 good buddies, this is mad mike, 10-10 till we do it again.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=CM9g_xlO-TE&feature=related

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=JuyLTDAC7fE&feature=related

Ahh, brings back memories,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

is allocated for Citizen Band and doesn't require a licence as far as I'm aware.
    Fey wrote:
    You don't need a license for CB radios
    Doesn't it depend on wattage? I thought they required a licence if they were more than 4 watts.
    Fey! wrote: »
    not a lot of people seem to use them here any more
    WHITE_P wrote: »
    Does anyone still use them
    Most truck drivers still use them.
    crosstownk wrote: »
    in the era of mobile phones I would have thought that CB was all but dead
    To contact someone on a mobile phone, you need to have their number. ;)

If you wished to make contact with an unknown driver near you, a mobile phone wouldn't be much use.

The boody transmissions from pagers in the Mater Hospital have spoiled CB use in Dublin City! :(

And, of course the illegal(?) broadcasting of church services over the CB frequencies doesn't help either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

And, of course the illegal(?) broadcasting of church services over the CB frequencies doesn't help either.

Forgot about Mass :D That still on the go?

Doesn't it depend on wattage? I thought they required a licence if they were more than 4 watts.

Most truck drivers still use them.

To contact someone on a mobile phone, you need to have their number. ;)

If you wished to make contact with an unknown driver near you, a mobile phone wouldn't be much use.

The boody transmissions from pagers in the Mater Hospital have spoiled CB use in Dublin City! :(

Yeah you would wonder who chose 27.185 for the paging system for the Hospitals, I noticed Navan Hospital is the same and probably others.

The churches are keeping someone in business too, almost every church has an Antron 99 on top now and are pushing more than 4watts by the sounds of things. I'm sure during the right conditions other Dx'ers far afield are scratching their heads. Thats if they can find a clear freq to Dx on.

Yeah you would wonder who chose 27.185 for the paging system for the Hospitals, I noticed Navan Hospital is the same and probably others.

The churches are keeping someone in business too, almost every church has an Antron 99 on top now and are pushing more than 4watts by the sounds of things. I'm sure during the right conditions other Dx'ers far afield are scratching their heads. Thats if they can find a clear freq to Dx on.
    My local RC church appears to be broadcasting on one of the cordless telephone frequencies.

My local RC church appears to be broadcasting on one of the cordless telephone frequencies.

On 30mhz ?

Next they will be using the baby monitor frequencies. :eek:

On 30mhz ?
    Yea somewhere around there. I think it's 29.XXX

(My knowledge of the tecnical end of transmitting/receiving are minimal :o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

10 4 good buddies! :)

My dad went the whole hog and learned Morse to get his full HAM radio licence. Dear god, I almost picked it up by osmosis the amount of times he used to practice.

CB pretty much has had its day, but I can remember some great great characters in times gone by.

Kidcapree would make a pretty good CB handle!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 snowman6416

hi folks was just wondering has any one got any wiring diagrams for an icom-sm-12 mic for an icom-735 transceiver

please please help

thank you
    snowman6416

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

hi folks was just wondering has any one got any wiring diagrams for an icom-sm-12 mic for an icom-735 transceiver

please please help

thank you
    snowman6416
    Try here or here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

please please help

thank you
    snowman6416
    Please read the charter and don't resurrect old threads. Feel free to start a new one if you like.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement