Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism or Media Arts?!?!

Options
  • 02-04-2008 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Help! I just cant seem to choose between the two for next year! Anybody doing one of them? Any info would be a lifesaver!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

It really depends what you want to do. If you want to be a journalist then go for journalism, if not then don't.
    Media Arts seems like a lot of fun, I sometimes wish I had picked it instead of journalism, but that's just because I'm not hugely interested in journalism and a mix of the two would be ideal.
    Journalism does give you quite a broad education, which I enjoy, with loadsa modules like sociology, history, politics, law, business aswell as all the layout&design and other practical journo aspects. The non-journo modules are quite broad and normally interesting, and if you find one unbearable then it's ok cause it only last for one semester.
    The other major aspect of the current journo course (though I hear it's changing) is the language section, which takes up a good third of the course. Most of the language stuff is pretty interesting, but if you hate whatever language (German, Irish, French etc) that you're doing then you probably won't stick out the course. Second half of third year is spent abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

I'm thinking of going with Journalism myself (well that's the idea at the moment anyway).

There's a School of Journalism open day thingy on tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes. I'll post up how it went afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

There are already loads of journalism threads in this section, if you give them an aul search you should find most of your questions answered.

Advertisement