Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alloys - Warning, girly question!!!

Options
  • 02-04-2008 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

Ok, I know NOTHING about cars. I lost an alloy off one of my wheels. Just wondering what they ACTUALLY do, and can I get away without replacing it???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

daisy123 wrote: »
    Ok, I know NOTHING about cars. I lost an alloy off one of my wheels. Just wondering what they ACTUALLY do, and can I get away without replacing it???

an alloy is an actual wheel. what you lost is prob just a hub cap on standard wheels. and yes you can get away with out replacing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

I presume you mean a hubcap :D

if you lost an alloy you would be in big trouble...

Hubcap: 13_econ5_sm.jpg

Alloy Wheel:
    Eltex%2520Star.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭daisy123

Haha, yeah, hubcap. Oh dear...did I mention I know shag all about cars???:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

Haha, yeah, hubcap. Oh dear...did I mention I know shag all about cars???:o

dont worry about it. all they do is keep the wheel clean so drive away all you want. you can prob pick up a cheap replacement set for €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

It sounds like you have lost a hubcap not an alloy. A hubcap like in this picture is just a plastic cover to make the steel wheel look better so you would not have to replace it if the look doesnt bother you.
    05matrix.JPG

An alloy on the otherhand is a complete wheel and if you have lost one of these you wont be driving!
    Nissan-350Z-Alloy-Wheel.jpg

• Advertisement

dont worry about it. all they do is keep the wheel clean so drive away all you want. you can prob pick up a cheap replacement set for €20.

Cool, was getting slightly worried when saw posts about alloys costing over 2grand!!!! I was thinking "If they're THAT expensive, they MUST be important!"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Check the size of your wheel before getting replacements daisy. The diameter should be written on your tyres - probably 14, 15 or 16 inches.

It's written at the end of the tyre size number - e.g. 165/65/14 ,175/65/15 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Get the correct hub cap from a breaker's yard (car dismantler) rather than buying a cheap and nasty set. Or check with a dealer on the price of a single replacement.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭lisaloo

where did you lose it? funny we all see them at the sides of roads a lot of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

what car is it?!

• Advertisement

Who knows?? I share the car, so I reckon the bro did it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ok, I know NOTHING about cars.

You don't have to know anything about cars to ask a question here. I'm impressed by the quick answers you got from the friendly posters up there. Nice one, folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

No offence to the OP but this thread made me actually lol...

I lost an alloy - What do they actually do!! hee hee

(again, no offence)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭KidCapree

Cool, was getting slightly worried when saw posts about alloys costing over 2grand!!!! I was thinking "If they're THAT expensive, they MUST be important!"

now THAT made me LOL... no offence. Gotta love women :p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

KidCapree wrote: »
    now THAT made me LOL... no offence. Gotta love women :p:p

+1, this did make me lmao but in here any question is valid and will get a good answer

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Check the size of your wheel before getting replacements daisy. The diameter should be written on your tyres - probably 14, 15 or 16 inches.

It's written at the end of the tyre size number - e.g. 165/65/14 ,175/65/15 etc.
    ...thus proving that size does indeed matter to women

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭GTC

It obviously matters to you in that you took the time to make us all read it. TBH, I'm getting slightly worried.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

GTC wrote: »
    It obviously matters to you in that you took the time to make us all read it. TBH, I'm getting slightly worried.
    Nah, nothing wrong with mine - thats why I didn't feel the need to join the GTC ;):D

unkel wrote: »
    You don't have to know anything about cars to ask a question here. I'm impressed by the quick answers you got from the friendly posters up there. Nice one, folks!

Me too!! Thanks a lot!! Now I don't have to publicly humiliate myself by asking the same question to my mates!!!

Next time I have a question, I'll be right back here!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

kbannon wrote: »
    Nah, nothing wrong with mine - thats why I didn't feel the need to join the GTC ;):D

Plus (straightens tie) she might be hot:D:D:D

I may be repeating myself but my mum recently lost a wheel trim. She re-traced her steps to see if she could find it but couldn't. She took the scenic route home and found the exact right one in a completely different place:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Now thats Random

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Yeah, work away without the wheel trim. Not required.

However, if you lose a 710 cap, get that replaced ASAP. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

PauloMN wrote: »
    Yeah, work away without the wheel trim. Not required.

However, if you lose a 710 cap, get that replaced ASAP. :D:D

You're mean:D

Advertisement