Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum called for a weekday

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

There's only one referendum on the EU that I'll be voting yes on and thats when we're asked if we want to leave the EU.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I'd like to see both turgon and nhughes100 engage in the debate and explain why they'd advocate "no" votes, but I'd ask that they do so in the other thread on the subject - this one is about the timing of the referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

taconnol wrote: »
    Wow. Great. Congratulations. It suits you. Fantastic.

What about the many people that it doesn't suit? Typical Fianna Fail attitude: sure I'm grand, what are the rest of you complaining about??

And if it was on a weekend...what about the many people that that wouldn't suit? No matter when a referendum is scheduled, there's going to be some people who it doesn't suit. So, in a very real sense, regardless of what day its scheduled, someone is going to blame those in power for picking that date as "typical attitude".

As pointed out, most leaving-cert students who would have a vote would be living at home.

Uni students, even if they were effected, can register themselves to vote where they are at uni. Indeed, when I was in UL, I remember that they used to put up a stall on campus and recommend to students to do so.

What it seems you're really saying is "it doesn't suit me, therefore its wrong"....which seems to be little different to "it suits me, therefore its right"...which ironically is what you call a typical FF attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

True enough, you could register in another constituency for a referendum. But why not make it easier and give all students studying away from home a postal vote if elections are held on weekdays.
    If you're a student studying away from your home address where you are registered to vote you can already go postal - it's one of the listed reasons where someone can apply for a postal vote.

Advertisement