Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New youth organization

• 02-04-2008 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭

http://bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=6197005926

Beb page above they're for any interested.((It's made in a slightly ironic way,so don't take certain things that are posted on it seriously.

Basically its a new youth activism group thats currently based in Cork but were hoping to spread it nationally.Basically its about people of around our age,primarily TY's getting a focus and to stand up for themselves when they should.As it says on the back,Rebelling without a cause,which is the main motto as hey,were teenagers,right,why the hell not live fun and have some experiences..And when we get a cause we'll do so.

So if your interested join up,as we should be expanding soon so you should get more details there

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

You might want to get a cause.

Rebelling for no reason (sorry, because you're teenagers) just gives young people a bad name. There's plenty of things to get angry about in Ireland today, so pick one of them, learn a bit about it, then go and try do something productive with your teenage enthusiasm.
    I think it's great that people want to get active about stuff, but doing it for no reason is just stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

You might want to get a cause.

Rebelling for no reason (sorry, because you're teenagers) just gives young people a bad name. There's plenty of things to get angry about in Ireland today, so pick one of them, learn a bit about it, then go and try do something productive with your teenage enthusiasm.
    I think it's great that people want to get active about stuff, but doing it for no reason is just stupid.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

What are you's fighting against if you mind me asking? People of higher authority abusing them e.g. Gardai, school principles, etc... If so I'm well in.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Rebelling without a cause is only a motto as we originally started this for a bit of fun.

But we have some stuff worked out,which is really to get more active to give younger people a voice.I myself will be doing some work exp in a political party HQ in cork so will be finding out some stuff there.

One thing at the moment is the ticket age.A child ticket is for some one who is under 16.Now being 16 my self i must admit most people my age say were 15 as we cant pay for that,we'd go up with 25 or 30 euros for the day on average and if we had to pay 5 for a ticket thats a bit much.I was even talking to a guy who works for the company and he even thinks its a bit high.It should be,in all fairness 19 for a child,by then most people have either gone to college and will get student discounts or free travel and the people not would generally be working or will get free rides with social passes.

As well as this,there's the whole youth discrimination with a security guard in Cork.He come shout a yells at people if the lye on the ground of a large open area or generally hunts them out if they say,wear black.The security of there also installed a one of those hearing devices that only;young people Can hear that supposedly will annoy us to make us leave.Well it doesn't really work,most of us ignored it but those that were affected by it got horrendous headaches.This is in a open public area and should not be tolerated.I know another youth organization is tyring to get it taken away or made illegal as it constituted as assault.

But in general its anyone or group/organization which unfairly treats us as well as trying to give us mroe of a voice.

We should be getting around to making a website soon enough too.Please get friends to joni as we need more people.
    As well as this,there's the whole youth descrimination with a security gaurd in Cork.He come sout a yells at people if the lye on the ground of a large open area or generaly hunts them out if they say,wear black.The secuity of there also installed a one of those hearing devices that onl;young people cna hear that supposidly will annoy us to make us leave.Well it dosnt really work,most of us ingored it but those that were ffected by it got horrdeus headaches.This is in a open public area and should not be tollerated.I know another youth organization is tyring to get it taken away or made illiegal as it constitiueted as assault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

The reason the child ticket applies to those under 16 is probably because at age 16, you're old enough to get a part-time job. Why not get a student travel-card signed by your school if it's such a big issue? If they refuse to sign it, THEN you can fight the power. I'm editing the 'Fight the power' part out of the title, because I think it's juvenile and giving younger people a bad name. Listen to PFM, get a cause.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

The group was made for two reason,messing for a bit of fun and to raises some questions.

If you say we,a bunch of fun lovers who never start anything negative or break the law/or cause hassle are giving the youth of Ireland a bad name then you mustnt leave the house much or know anything about the current Irish youth.

Of coruse it's juvenile,were all most of us are 16 and under,its ment to be.This isint meant to be an anger thing,It's about fun loving enjoyment while some times raising some issues.People would get those said tickets but you must going to a school in the city or connected by train.Even people who work in the companyhave been telling me it's ridiculouse.6 years old may be old enought to get a temp job but 3/4 of them dont.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jb91

Rozabeez wrote: »
    The reason the child ticket applies to those under 16 is probably because at age 16, you're old enough to get a part-time job. Why not get a student travel-card signed by your school if it's such a big issue? If they refuse to sign it, THEN you can fight the power. I'm editing the 'Fight the power' part out of the title, because I think it's juvenile and giving younger people a bad name. Listen to PFM, get a cause.
    The student travel card doesn't make it that much cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Seloth wrote: »
    If you say we,a bunch of fun lovers who never start anything negative or break the law/or cause hassle are giving the youth of Ireland a bad name then you mustnt leave the house much or know anything about the current Irish youth.

No need to make me feel like a granny, mate. I'm 18, also I've been working in part-time jobs since 15 so don't see why your estimated 3/4 of the youth population can't go looking for one.

I suggested you could give younger people a bad name because it seems like you're trying to kick up a fuss about nothing, I'm not gonna delete the thread or tell you not to do it, just maybe think about your wording a bit more.

ie "Fight de powah" etc. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Be careful with this mate, I remember something similar starting up when i was your age and it ended up going big, people started doing marchs, strikes from school and basically, all went to s**t.

As pointed out earlier, your at an age where you should be looking for a job. With a bit of cash behind ya, you'll wonder why the child ticket thing ever cropped up. Alright i can see about the guy chasing you out of parks and stuff being a bit of a terror, i'd complain about that myself.
    bunch of fun lovers who never start anything negative or break the law/or cause hassle

unless you know every law in the country, another statement i'd be careful with. irish laws can get obscure and you may not realise just what is and isn't illeagal at the moment.

All that done, best of luck and hopefully you'll achieve something

Advertisement