Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Techno for Beginners

• 02-04-2008 9:51pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've been listening to a lot of minimal techno lately, and out of the live sets etc I'm also being exposed to some decent techno, and for the first time I'm really enjoying it. I'm looking for more and hoping you guys can make some recommendations.

Nothing to crazy - I'm not interested in this 140bpm+ stuff, glorified hard house, but the next step up from minimal.

Anyone got any suggested labels, artists, albums that I should be looking into?
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Carl Cox is still the undisputed king of Techno along with Sven Vath.

Coxy has a few labels, check his website http://www.carlcox.com/

Also check Sven Vath's website http://www.cocoon.net/

i could list many more but these 2 are like the "kings of Techno" as it were, im sure people will recommend many more, i like some Techno thesedays bUt not all of it but if you want any recommendations for older Techno i can give recommend loads.

BTW this is IMO the best Techno album ever made, still sounds amazing to this day.

http://www.discogs.com/release/62949

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I would suggest starting at the beginning and working your way up.

Some artists from the early days of techno...

Juan Atkins
    http://www.discogs.com/artist/Juan+Atkins

UndergroundResistance
    http://www.discogs.com/artist/Underground+Resistance

Kenny Larkin
    http://www.discogs.com/artist/Kenny+Larkin

Kevin Saunderson
    http://www.discogs.com/artist/Kevin+Saunderson

Derrick May
    http://www.discogs.com/artist/Derrick+May

I could go on but you may want to start with now! If so, let me know :pac:

FACT is a great mix, although you could split hairs and say it is a Trance, House and Techno mix - this was what Carl Cox wanted to prove with it, various genres could be played without the DJ limiting themselves to a set style yet it still works a treat. I think that is what makes Carl Cox such a great DJ, no boundaries for the genres he plays really - makes for an interesting set. His mixing can leave a bit to be desired though :pac:

No jonny I agree with your suggestions also and I wouldn't personally rate US over European, just recommending the pioneers of techno, albeit mainly US/Detroit techno... but that is where it began. The sound evolved somewhat when it travelled the atlantic to the UK and Belgium in particular in the early days.

But yes, without doubt the likes of Dave Clarke are of huge importance to techno as is Sven Vath, Laurent Garnier, Billy Nasty, Justin Robertson etc etc.

• Advertisement

I sense though that Zascar will not want to debate the finer points of early techno and will most likely want some recent examples that he can walk in to a shop and buy a copy :D

In that respect, although not really deemed to be techno (in as far as the genre category), Clark (Chris Clark) is well worth a listen... for a 'tougher' sound. He is a spectacular producer and well worth a blast.

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Chris+Clark

BILLY NASTY how could i forget the former "darling" of the Dublin Techno scene years ago, he was massive here more so than any other DJ as far as i can remember back then definitely check him out,he is still mixing up a storm and played a stormer @ Voodoo just before Xmas.

http://www.myspace.com/djbillynasty

also one of my favorites the man like Dave Angel,superb.

http://www.myspace.com/djdaveangel

Im sure that's more than enough for now,;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Felixdhc wrote: »
    he can walk in to a shop and buy a copy :D
    people still do that?:eek:

jtsuited wrote: »
    people still do that?:eek:

Some do, kinda oldskool though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

im a fan of minimal myself and of some of the harder stuff. sven vath is great. im not into the mental **** though!!

dave clarke is the best techno dj i have seen. seen him a few times and him and zabiela are playin back to back weeks in april... savage.

some of the stuff clarkey plays can be mental but hes constantly interacting with the music, something as simple as a spinback gets the crowd wild!!

the baron of techno :p all the way for me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭sur_1_nuage

Check

Dave Clarke
    Ben Sims
    British Murder Boys
    Adam Beyer
    Chris Liebing
    Michel De Hey
    Speedy J
    James Ruskin
    Anything coming from Tresor, Berlin
    DJ Murphy
    Jeff Mills
    Surgeon
    The Advent
    Steve Rachmad
    Underground Resistance
    Kevin Saunderson
    Derrick May
    That s a good start anyway!;)

Would disagree about Vath playing "Techno" though"! And Garnier you never know what he s going to play unless it s a theme set like "Chicago House set" etc. He is gonna play an 8 hour set so he s gonna go from latin to Techno , house going through DnB and Rock for sure.

Would disagree about Vath playing "Techno" though"! .

Sven Vath is renowned as a Techno DJ mate.

Sure he might play the odd set that wouldn't be Techno as do a lot of DJ's but he is known as a Techno DJ.

he does play a good bt of minimal too

copeyhagen wrote: »
    he does play a good bt of minimal too

didn't know that, to be honest definitely not go and see him if i knew he was playing that!!

heres his tracklist from his kiss 100 set in february last year. its an hour of his set from cocoon i think... feckin great set..

2007-02-04 Sven Väth (1)

01. Len Faki - Rumpelkammer [Podium]
    02. Radio Slave - Secret Base [Rekids]
    03. Marc Houle - Bay Of Figs [Minus 42]
    04. Trentemøller - Killer Kat [Poker Flat Recordings]
    05. John Dahlbäck - Wet Summer [Kompakt Extra]
    06. Sami Koivikko - Paajaasa [Spectral]
    07. Deetron - The Afterlife [Music Man]
    08. Pig & Dan - After Ibiza [Cocoon Recordings]
    09. Extrawelt - Fernweh [Kompass]
    10. Agoria - Code 1026 [Different]
    11. Audion - Mouth To Mouth [Spectral]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭jimmychin

nothing definitive but not mentioned so far...

techno pioneer = Kraftwerk

minimal pioneer = Richie Hawtins

great 2007 album = Ricardo Villalobos' fabric mix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

download sven vaths set at global gathering last yr.AWESOME!

Check

Dave Clarke
    Ben Sims
    British Murder Boys
    Adam Beyer
    Chris Liebing
    Michel De Hey
    Speedy J
    James Ruskin
    Anything coming from Tresor, Berlin
    DJ Murphy
    Jeff Mills
    Surgeon
    The Advent
    Steve Rachmad
    Underground Resistance
    Kevin Saunderson
    Derrick May
    That s a good start anyway!;)

Would disagree about Vath playing "Techno" though"! And Garnier you never know what he s going to play unless it s a theme set like "Chicago House set" etc. He is gonna play an 8 hour set so he s gonna go from latin to Techno , house going through DnB and Rock for sure.

Yeah as above with the additional techno suggestions - some pretty full-on techno there alright :)

Sven Vath certainly did play techno in the past, don't know about now but my first experiences of Vath in the mid 90's would have been a mix of techno and trance... pretty hard techno too. Garnier again would have played a lot of techno early on - his 'Excess Luggage' mixes are a good example of the diversity of his style. Well worth purchasing and definitely get the two extra CD's sold separately (they should have just made it the 5 CD's as one purchase :rolleyes: )

http://www.discogs.com/release/214592

http://www.discogs.com/release/355806

Another mix I would highly recommend is the last DJ mix from Francois K on Ministry. Not mad on the 3rd disc but the first two are excellent, especially the 2nd mix -

http://www.discogs.com/release/1216544

jonny68 wrote: »
    Sven Vath is renowned as a Techno DJ mate.

Sure he might play the odd set that wouldn't be Techno as do a lot of DJ's but he is known as a Techno DJ.

Then you havent heard a Vath set in a long time mate!:rolleyes:
    He sure was spinning techno back in the days, He would be more on the electro-minimal side to me at the moment. He sure is playing some techy stuff (cfr playlist above) but i would not associate it with the kind of techno our friend Zascar was talking about.

Then you havent heard a Vath set in a long time mate!:rolleyes:
    He sure was spinning techno back in the days, He would be more on the electro-minimal side to me at the moment. He sure is playing some techy stuff (cfr playlist above) but i would not associate it with the kind of techno our friend Zascar was talking about.

last time i heard a set of Sven Vath's was a few years back and it was Techno, seen him as well a few years back in the System i think it was, top nite.

• Advertisement

last time i heard a set of Sven Vath's was a few years back and it was Techno, seen him as well a few years back in the System i think it was, top nite.

Fair point then, he was playing techno back then, I saw him the last time in Cocoon Club @ Amnesia Ibiza, in September 07, and he was playing what he plays now, mostly electro and minimal sounds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

didn't the system close down in 1998?

Zascar, check out -

Robert Hood

Claude Young

Oliver Ho

Samuel L Sessions

Marco Carola

Gaetano Parisio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

I recommend Chris Liebing - Live in Beograd.
    A live set recorded in 2005 and spread across two cds.

http://www.discogs.com/release/510008

Might as well jump straight in at the techno deep end!! :cool:

Yeah 1998 i think it closed, God it only seems like yesterday:o:)

Zascar, check out -

Robert Hood

Claude Young

Oliver Ho

Samuel L Sessions

Marco Carola

Gaetano Parisio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭francois

BILLY NASTY how could i forget the former "darling" of the Dublin Techno scene years ago, he was massive here more so than any other DJ as far as i can remember back then definitely check him out,he is still mixing up a storm and played a stormer @ Voodoo just before Xmas.

very true and in all fairness he could really rock the temple...feckin' heat in there one night was unreal, must have been at least 45 centigrade!
    Anyway he was doing a gig in the temple theatre on a thursday, i was doing support, filling in for Johnny Moy, as he was doing a gig in the states, so all these mad out of its were going "great gig johnny" and "didn't think you played techno anymore" total confusion!...anyway, the promoter (old mate of mine, so he shall remain nameless) says to me after I finish-look I have Billy's charlie and a bottle of whiskey, so what else am i supposed to do.
    An hour later Billy Nasty comes off stage and me and the promoter are in bits, having scoffed his rider, jayzuz, was he pissed off, but i was in ribbons.
    to be fair after he calmed down he said he would have done the same.
    Mind you about 6 months later I pulled the same stunt in the kitchen nightclub (with the same promoter!!) he wasn't too impressed.
    nice chaz though

lol francois, nice story to have about Billy Nasty :D He was always one of my favourites in the ToS, one of the few that generally meant you would have to queue to get in and I agree also about the heat in there on nights like that... remember actually they used to have fruit on trays going around?

The other DJ that stands out in terms of bringing huge crowds to the ToS was Fabio Paras... was always an excellent night when he played, although he had a habit also of not showing up :mad:

lol f. remember actually they used to have fruit on trays going around?
    yeah and then we'd end up pelting each other with it!

fabbi paris was bloody great, top mixer and really good funky tunage-he used to do a tuesday in the london rock garden and i saw him and josh wink there, one of the best gigs i have ever seen.
    though he was an awfully moody fecker :D

francois wrote: »
    lol f. remember actually they used to have fruit on trays going around?
    yeah and then we'd end up pelting each other with it!

fabbi paris was bloody great, top mixer and really good funky tunage-he used to do a tuesday in the london rock garden and i saw him and josh wink there, one of the best gigs i have ever seen.
    though he was an awfully moody fecker :D

Yeah was always amusing to see fruit being fecked around while tunes pump out... I remember times there where I would literally not have a clue where I was or what was going on :D

Did you ever hear his Sound Clash Republic album, The Birth of Shiva Shanti? Fckin unreal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FGurjolu5w

What's Ken from the ToS up to these days?

• Advertisement

Yeah was always amusing to see fruit being fecked around while tunes pump out... I remember times there where I would literally not have a clue where I was or what was going on :D

Did you ever hear his Sound Clash Republic album, The Birth of Shiva Shanti? Fckin unreal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FGurjolu5w

What's Ken from the ToS up to these days?

LOL! I never got why they supplied grapefruit! :pac:
    Last I heard ken was promoting stuff in the GPO in Galway. He is one of the forgotten heroes of dance music in this country-as a promoter he did loads-top DJ's and took a chance on trying out different styles of dance...and a gent as well

LOL! I never got why they supplied grapefruit! :pac:
    Last I heard ken was promoting stuff in the GPO in Galway. He is one of the forgotten heroes of dance music in this country-as a promoter he did loads-top DJ's and took a chance on trying out different styles of dance...and a gent as well

Yeah he was a sound bloke, I always remember he would make sure to say hello and never seemed phased by anything that went on. In fairness though there was rarely trouble there and the bouncers were pretty sound too, the big butch blonde etc :)

I agree also that he is definitely a forgotten hero, the names that played there each week were unreal - I still have most flyers from there and it gives me shivers to look now at the line-up each month. I remember the odd bad night, the 2nd time Rocky & Diesel played was awful and another night where the DJ was playing really ambient, chilled tunes... everyone was complaining to Ken and eventually he was kicked off - Johnny Moy came on and opened with Orbital 'Belfast' and stayed in a similar vein for the rest of the night, we were not impressed :mad:

I can't understand actually why there has not been a ToS reunion of sorts, I'm sure there would be good interest :pac:

, the big butch blonde etc :)
    Jaysus forgot about her-even the hardest lads didnt give her gip!

I remember that rock and deisel night-what a let down, especially after the first time they played-before music became pidgeonholed-no trance/techno/prog-just great electronic noize

I can't understand actually why there has not been a ToS reunion of sorts, I'm sure there would be good interest :pac:[/QUOTyour youth back E]

I dunno-it will never be the same and i always thought a reunion would fail, you wont ever get that buzz back, besides everyone now does coke and pills, so you wont see ballyer lads massaging tallaght lads on that ;)

The 1st time Rocky & Diesel played was an excellent night and I suppose people reckoned the 2nd time would be as good - don't know what went wrong but they just never got the place going, seemed to be a night full of light house tunes that never went anywhere. The 1st time they played was the 1st time I heard 'The Bomb' by the Bucketheads, they played the long 10 minute version and the place was absolutely hoppin :pac: The track lost it's appeal not long after that but it's funny how a tune like that can work before it hits the charts.

Yeah probably right re a reunion, different times and different people. Although the Asylum reunions etc seem to be popular? Did you ever get a UFO reunion together?

Yeah probably right re a reunion, different times and different people. Although the Asylum reunions etc seem to be popular? Did you ever get a UFO reunion together?

If i was to do a re-union, i'd love for it to be raided :D

lol, fck yeah :D Who was playing that night again? Was it a Northern DJ? A mad night, dancing outside to some hippy dudes making up tunes :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

francois, i saw you in waterford a couple of times (the roxy, sweaty, dingy, brilliiant) and you ****in rocked the place. thinkin back on it makes me feel old

Zascar, check out -

Samuel L Sessions

Marco Carola

These 2 are a lot more minimal now, not proper techno anymore as the other names cited

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

jimmychin wrote: »
    nothing definitive but not mentioned so far...

techno pioneer = Kraftwerk

minimal pioneer = Richie Hawtins

great 2007 album = Ricardo Villalobos' fabric mix

Rob Hood is spinning in his grave

The legendary Sven in Ibiza last summer:D

http://www.dancetrippin.com/?previewstream=Bonus%20videos

I bleedin wouldn't mate i was one of those "caught":eek: that nite :mad:

• Advertisement

Good stuff, Luke Slater rocks :pac:

Here is some Detroit Techno goodness from The Martian -

http://www.discogs.com/release/2126

Mix it up with some industrial Hardcore Breakbeat, what an amazing tune:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTplGN-Ed0Q

Another classic techno tune...

http://www.discogs.com/release/8609

Well Zascar, anything floating your boat? :pac:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks lads, some great stuff there, some I'm not so keen on, but as always just so dam busy have barely had proper time to sit down and listen to loads of it. Will try to have a good route around this week and post back with what I like and try to find more.

Cheerz boyz keep em coming!

So far I'm lovin Carl Craig, Chris Leibring, Adam Beyer, Dominik Eulberg, Mark Knight, Len Faki. I know some these guys are not primarily techno, maybe more tech or minimal, but it's all good music - so its all good! :)

Zascar, you should check out also 69 which is an alias of Carl Craig... a really spectacular track called 'Desire' below.

http://www.discogs.com/release/60337

Last one for now - one of my favourite tracks of all time (I have lots of them though and say it a lot :D - this is definitely up there though :pac: )

http://www.discogs.com/release/11425

And LO'fckin'L with your weird mix of techno/trance/rock. FFS, that's a good one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement