Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the 3rd year English reading list this year?

Options
  • 02-04-2008 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

I've had so much trouble keeping up with the amount of reading required this year for 2nd year english, owing in part to the fact that half the books or anthologies required weren't even in the library or if they were they had like 5 copies max which would all be out, and quite frankly i can't afford to buy 3 books a week, just so i can show them i have a copy with me in class (they go mad if you don't have a copy with you). so i thought this summer i would try and read as many of the books as possible that 3rd years did this year in the hope that most will reappear on the list next year. could anyone tell me what the reading lists for the core english subjects were this year? thanks in advance if you can:)

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 342 ✭✭NicsM

It can be found here: http://www.ucd.ie/englishanddrama/undergraduateinfo.htm

Its not too bad, I found the Renaissance Literature reading list quite difficult to get through at times though. The core modules for this semester (American Modernism and 19th Century Literature) consist of a lot of stuff you might have already read, like Jane Eyre, Eliot or Tender is the Night. Bear in mind though, if you're doing a major in English your option class will have an even heavier workload, a text and critical piece per week, one or two presentations and a 4000 word essay. Not to put you off or anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

Am I right in saying that the required books are mostly classics? If so, there's a good chance you can find text versions on Project Gutenberg, free and clear. Next question, I suppose, is whether the lecturer goes mad if you have the book on a laptop or other device. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭stopyourshoppin

thank you guys, that's very helpful
    and believe me, project gutenberg has been my saviour this year both financially and academically! although it hasn't helped with being given out to for not having a copy for class:) but seriously - buying an expensive book to sit in class unopened? please.
    thanks again guys

Advertisement