Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT DSL Connection

Options
  • 02-04-2008 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭

Hi everybody,

I'll be the first to admit Im not the most technically knowledgable about IT.Yesterday and today, my broadband connection has not been working. The landline is working perfectly.The DSL light usually green, is now not on so I assume the DSL connection is the problem.I contacted Esat BT and they asked me to access the 198.168.1.1 and then check for the problem using the connection wizard.

The network adaptor failed the 3 tests apart from the enternet connection and the DSL connection failed.The guy on the phone told me to get a new modem but I tried out a another (new)modem we had and the exact same problem occurred.

Could it be a seperate problem like an external connection problem e.g. has a line been cut ?

If we move to eircom will we have the same problems?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

If two modems don't work then the problem lies further upstream. Maybe it is your DSL filter? Try disconnecting all other equipment from your phone line (phones, Sky box, fax, etc.) and then try connecting again. Or try connecting the modem directly to your main phone socket (with nothing else connected).

If you have more than one phone socket in your house, one of the extensions could be causing trouble, so try disconnecting them.

If you can't find anything wrong with the stuff inside your house, then there is probably a problem elsewhere so you'd have to get BT to get on to Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

DJDC wrote: »
    Could it be a seperate problem like an external connection problem e.g. has a line been cut ?

If the landline is working perfectly, no. DSL and POTS use the same copper line.
    DJDC wrote: »
    If we move to eircom will we have the same problems?

Are you on an unbundled exchange? i.e. where you offered a speed upgrade before the rest of the country or can you get Smart? If not, then changing to ANY other DSL provider won't help.

I'd give it a day and see if if they sort it out, if they send you a modem try that. If that doesn't work you can always come back here ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

I think thats bu77 myself. If you disconnect everything and just connect the router to your phone socket and check the DSL light. If that still does not come on call back and tell them what you did and also you tried a second router, it sounds as if the fault may be outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Onikage wrote: »
    If the landline is working perfectly, no. DSL and POTS use the same copper line.

It can get damaged to the extent that DSL doesn't work but is still good enough for phone calls, as DSL operates at much higher frequencies than voice. My phone line got damaged a while back in a way that DSL didn't work, and I could receive phone calls but couldn't make them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

It can get damaged to the extent that DSL doesn't work but is still good enough for phone calls, as DSL operates at much higher frequencies than voice. My phone line got damaged a while back in a way that DSL didn't work, and I could receive phone calls but couldn't make them.

Interference is quite different to damage and much easier to fix. If the phone line is still working, the line has not been cut.

The points about checking the other phone sockets is worth paying attention to. Have any new phones/modems/satellite boxes been plugged in recently?

• Advertisement
Advertisement