Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfast City Maraton

• 02-04-2008 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭

Hi all,

Im running the Belfast City Marathon for charity and wondering if anyone could tell me what I shouyld do over the next month to train for it because I only heard about it late!Also I looked on their website about applying for the half marathon but couldnt find where that is.....does anyone know as I think 13.1miles will be tough never mind double that!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Moved from Fitness to Marathon/Triathlon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

Have a look at this thread.

It refers to some training programs.... but you need much more than 1 month Belfast being on the 05th May..

Waht is your starting point as in your general level of fitness?
    How far can you currently run? Have you run recently more than 13miles?
    How many miles have you ran over the past few months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Good set of questions from 911, the answers to those will help us advise you.

As it is unless you are:
    • Currently very fit, training 5 - 7 times a week including a fair amount of running
    • Transferring directly from another endurance sport (cycling, rowing)
    • Have a background in distance running, have run a few 10ks and / or halves and are looking to step up the distance
    • Have been following a marathon training program for 2 - 3 months and are just looking to taper down
    • the sort of person who really enjoys pain and the strong possibility of failure

Then I personally would cancel it and aim for a marathon either later in the year or for Belfast next year. Apologies if this seems harsh but to decide to do a marathon with 4 or 5 weeks notice is fairly extreme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭deadlybuzz

Hi all,

Also I looked on their website about applying for the half marathon but couldnt find where that is.....does anyone know as I think 13.1miles will be tough never mind double that!!

Belfast just has a Full marathon or relay. There are half-marathons in other towns around May-June period (e.g. Newry, Lisburn). Best of luck if you run Belfast.

Advertisement