Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

timetable for economics and finance?

Options
  • 02-04-2008 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭conbob

could any one tell me the timetable for the course? anyone have mate doing it? i just wanna know what the hours are like before i put my name down for it....dit is 25 hours a week in at 9 4 days a week, seems a bit much to me.... so here i am checkin with youz :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I did it. Was about 18 in first year, went down each year. I ended up with 11 at the very end. I did it in the old system though. Probably different now.

But if you are choosing a course based on hours, well I think that's very stupid to be honest. Good luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭conbob

thanks....its not just the hours but cmon u have to have time for fun!! i work my arse off so good luck with that is right :pac:

It's a difficult enough course so it's not all fun and games.

ye well id just prefer to do my own study on top of my classes rather than have to wake up early for scheduled lectures...not lazy im just not a morning person. could you tell me how early the classes were for you in 1st year? i live a bit away and am just wonderin when ill have to be up?

It's about 20 hours a semester for the first 2 years.

It's not that many hours really.

I'm doing it at the moment.

Your maths needs to be very strong, the minimum of a C in LC honours is quite generous, as I feel many people who got B's would still struggle.

But if you're maths is good, and you have done economics before, first year is not that difficult.

Any more questions, just fire away.

• Advertisement

ye my maths is grand....just wondering though. points went up last year... will they go up/down/ what do you think? because for me 500+ would be cuttin it close

Who knows if the points will go up or down. What a silly question to ask!
    It all depends on how many people have applied and what points they've got.
    Put it down on your CAO, if you don't get it, you'll get the next highest one you are eligible for.

Pythia wrote: »
    Who knows if the points will go up or down. What a silly question to ask!
    It all depends on how many people have applied and what points they've got.
    Put it down on your CAO, if you don't get it, you'll get the next highest one you are eligible for.

yeeeeeeeeees thanks for your input....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

It's about 20 hours a semester for the first 2 years.

It's not that many hours really.

I'm doing it at the moment.

Your maths needs to be very strong, the minimum of a C in LC honours is quite generous, as I feel many people who got B's would still struggle.

But if you're maths is good, and you have done economics before, first year is not that difficult.

Any more questions, just fire away.

20 hours a semester?

I'm there!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I can't believe your choosing a course based on hours. Lectures are important, as not every lecturer gives full slides online. Or they leave blanks to fill out when you are actually there in lectures. Thats common place in most UCD courses. Out of my 6 modules per semester, on average at least 5 of them have deliberate blanks in notes. Some don't give notes at all, so you have to turn up.

In my eyes lectures aren't optional, and if you want to do well you have to turn up. Its fairly obvious by your results if you do anyway, that I can tell you from experience. Add to that maybe an hour to revise each lecture to keep on top of things.

Either way, there is plenty of time for fun. It depends if you want to cruise through college or actually make something of yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

ironclaw wrote: »
    I can't believe your choosing a course based on hours. Lectures are important, as not every lecturer gives full slides online. Or they leave blanks to fill out when you are actually there in lectures. Thats common place in most UCD courses. Out of my 6 modules per semester, on average at least 5 of them have deliberate blanks in notes. Some don't give notes at all, so you have to turn up.

In my eyes lectures aren't optional, and if you want to do well you have to turn up. Its fairly obvious by your results if you do anyway, that I can tell you from experience. Add to that maybe an hour to revise each lecture to keep on top of things.

Either way, there is plenty of time for fun. It depends if you want to cruise through college or actually make something of yourself.

I was joking. 20 hours a semester is about 2 hours a week. I presume he meant to write 20 hours per week per semester.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

It's irrelevant anyway as this thread is 4 years old. Lol. My bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,661 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

ironclaw wrote: »

I doubt you'd find anybody not in their final year who goes to every lecture then revises that lecture for another hour. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

This thread was opened in 2008. Whether they did Economics & Finance or not is irrelevant now, they'll be 4 years through whatever course they chose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

That it is, locking this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement