Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards meet

Options
  • 02-04-2008 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭

we have all seen TinyExplosions idea for a boards.ie cycling forum jersey which is fact a very good idea.

Im planning to have a boards.ie cycle meet, i know there is a group going out every saturday but im thinking maybe have a once off or anual thing.

So im open to suggestions on where to have the meet, and when to have it.

Hopefuly we could all be wearing our boards.ie jersey as well :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I'm on for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

You could organise the Boards Autumn Classic for all those who have just bought their new bikes after watching the Tour De F(r)ance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Would be totally up for it (maybe in our jerseys :) ) -do we want it to be a piss up, or do we want actual cycling? Or maybe cycling to a piss up or something? Or maybe a pit of a piss up, then some cycling, then more drinking?

-just home from pub, does it show...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

How about some Sunday: meet up in town, somewhere central that has a bit of space to gather, like the Spike.

Then up the hill of Howth. There is a cycle track most of the way along the coast at Fairview and Clontarf.

There is a pub at the top of the hill. I cant remember the name of it. We could have a pint or two there, then come back down the other side of the hill.

Its not that tough a climb at all, and I think we could take it fairly easy on the pace for the non-racers out there (like me :o )

I dont know when is best, but maybe give it another couple of weeks until the weather gets a bit better anyway... it'd just be a miserable washout if it wasnt anything other than a bit sunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Funnily enough, the pub at the top of the hill is called The Summit! :)
    Yeah I'd be on for that, maybe the weekend after the W200 as a recovery spin?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'd be amenable to it alright. Mind you, never had a feed of pints midway through a spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

el tonto wrote: »
    Mind you, never had a feed of pints midway through a spin.

same here.....does the summit pub take lodgers for the night, just in case ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

This sunday may be a litle short notice for myself as i will have to book work off etc.

how about in 3-4 weeks time?

Howth is next door to me. I'll go any day...as long as I'm not somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

how about an evening time (after work) in a couple of weeks, when the evening's are stretched out more.

A good chance I would be racing w\ends so wont be able to make it..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

ya howth is perfect for m most days im just around the corner from it

also a good idea for an evening spin. my only concern would be the increased level of commuter traffic over a weekend....

kenmc wrote: »
    also a good idea for an evening spin. my only concern would be the increased level of commuter traffic over a weekend....

my advice: stay out of the village itself, it's usually choc-a-block at weekends, not to mention the worst road surface in all the land of Ireland.

Raam wrote: »
    not to mention the worst road surface in all the land of Ireland.
    I dunno, we might have to have a buckle-off with the road from sandyford to kilternan, there's some mighty crap patches there too...

kenmc wrote: »
    I dunno, we might have to have a buckle-off with the road from sandyford to kilternan, there's some mighty crap patches there too...

I think it would be hard pressed to beat howth at the moment all the roads are in pretty bad from roadworks

peterk19 wrote: »
    I think it would be hard pressed to beat howth at the moment all the roads are in pretty bad from roadworks

I would point out that the roads over the hill are fine.

I would point out that the roads over the hill are fine.

Sorry mate i was mainly talking about the village and roads leading into it, the roads up and over the hill are great except for when you are going up them :o

Sorry mate i was mainly talking about the village and roads leading into it, the roads up and over the hill are great except for when you are going up them :o

Have you tried the road the goes up the right hand side of the church? It's a bit of a divil!

Have you tried the road the goes up the right hand side of the church? It's a bit of a divil!

Ya i tried it last Summer and its a killer alright ended up walking half way up :( i might give it a shot over the weekend and see how ive improved

Ya i tried it last Summer and its a killer alright ended up walking half way up :( i might give it a shot over the weekend and see how ive improved

You may already know this one, but...when you get over that bit, take the right hand turn up Windgate Road. It's a very obvious right hand turn. The main road veers a bit to the left, and you go up the right hand side of a big grey house. It's another short but steep ramp.

• Advertisement

You may already know this one, but...when you get over that bit, take the right hand turn up Windgate Road. It's a very obvious right hand turn. The main road veers a bit to the left, and you go up the right hand side of a big grey house. It's another short but steep ramp.

Cheers ill give it a shot i love the short steep climbs they really destroy the legs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

my advice: stay out of the village itself, it's usually choc-a-block at weekends, not to mention the worst road surface in all the land of Ireland.

Im with you on that one! Not long cycling but that road is terrible. And i've been on both those routes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Count me in, just beware that I am still riding my fitness curve from the Sean Kelly, I think I have pretty much bottomed out...many months ago.

All this talk of Howth and the current good weather makes me want to ditch my plan to paint my stairs tonight.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Heh, did the same thing last night. Bailed on work at six, went out on the bike. Did Howth a few times, on to Malahide and then finished my work later on that night. Even wore shorts for the first time this year.

el tonto wrote: »
    Bailed on work at six, went out on the bike. Did Howth a few times, ...and then finished my work later on that night.

Sounds like a plan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

:eek:
    That road? I don't think it's actually possible, doubt I'll ever be able

Yeah, I know this route well, often go from town, down a lap of Howth and then out to Malahide and back again.

I'd be interested in going in a group, I've always gone on my own:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

E@gle. wrote: »
    This sunday may be a litle short notice for myself as i will have to book work off etc.

how about in 3-4 weeks time?

OK - how about Sunday May 11th? That'll give people a bit of time/notice, its the weekend after the bank holiday so people will probably be around Dublin, but not hungover and interested in doing something reasonably relaxed...

If we do go up to the top of the hill, I'll be taking it easy pace-wise too... will happily walk alonside anyone that feels they cant handle it.

flickerx wrote: »
    OK - how about Sunday May 11th? That'll give people a bit of time/notice, its the weekend after the bank holiday so people will probably be around Dublin, but not hungover and interested in doing something reasonably relaxed...

If we do go up to the top of the hill, I'll be taking it easy pace-wise too... will happily walk alonside anyone that feels they cant handle it.

I'll be doing the Tour of Ireland that day, so I won't be around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

flickerx wrote: »

Day before my finals start, so not good for me :(

Advertisement