Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suitable tyres for Dublin commute?

Options
  • 02-04-2008 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have a Kona PHD and have been cycling in and out of town (about 32k) for the past few months with no difficulties. But recently I've been getting bad luck with punctures.

I'm using the standard tyres 'Continental Ultrasport 700 x 23C' and want to get something a little more robust.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good tyre/tube combo for the commute?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

They are a pretty good tyre as it is. They have kevlar reinforcement in them which helps against the auld punctures. You could have a spoke sticking into the tube too much or the rim could have a sharp piece in it that is puncturing the tube.

you can get a reinforcement tape to put around the tube to protect from nails etc. I dont think these do much in my opinion.

Next time you have a puncture check the tube. If the puncture is on the inside of it then there is something up with the wheel and if its on the outside it means the tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

birofunk wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have a Kona PHD and have been cycling in and out of town (about 32k) for the past few months with no difficulties. But recently I've been getting bad luck with punctures.

I'm using the standard tyres 'Continental Ultrasport 700 x 23C' and want to get something a little more robust.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good tyre/tube combo for the commute?

thanks in advance

Keep your tyres inflated to the recommended pressure - that helps. I've whipped my hutchinson fusions (also kevlar lined) off my trek after getting a puncture slap in the middle of the rear tyre and have replaced them with specialized all condition armadillos. Have had no problems with punctures so far but I've found them rather slippy in the wet, especially over anything metal and at low speeds. Didn't have that problem with the hutchinsons in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭birofunk

chris85 wrote: »
    Next time you have a puncture check the tube. If the puncture is on the inside of it then there is something up with the wheel and if its on the outside it means the tyre.

Nice one chris can't believe i didn't think of that I'd bet that's what it is. I'll give it a check tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

neilled wrote: »
    ... have replaced them with specialized all condition armadillos. Have had no problems with punctures so far but I've found them rather slippy in the wet, especially over anything metal ...

QFT - Great tyre, but trust me, avoid shiny surfaces when it rains... :(

Tip: when you get them new, give them a rub of fine grade wet or dry sandpaper...

Advertisement