Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Used Car Purchase - misled re. number of previous owners

Options
  • 02-04-2008 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

My younger sister bought a used car from a local main dealer in December. During the course of the sales pitch/deal the salesman told her that the car had only one previous female owner (witnessed by our mother who was with my sis). The registration document arrived just last week, and the document actually states that there are 4 previous owners - this isn't just a little white lie we're talking about.

I think the dealer thought he might spin a yarn for a young woman (20's) and her mother, because they wouldn;t know any better! Anyway, apart from confronting the dealer, what recourse would be available to her? A 4 yr old car with 4 prev. owners is surely worth less than same with just 1 previous (female!) owner?

Any info appreciated?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

4 owners in 4 years? I'd be asking what's wrong with the car. Get a mechanic you thrust to check it out, if he finds anything wrong with it then you'll have a stronger case for when you confront the dealer. Don't know what recourse you'll have though if there's nothing wrong though I'd imagine the price might have been less if it's had 4 owners in 4 years rather than 1, but not too sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭board om

My younger sister bought a used car from a local main dealer in December. During the course of the sales pitch/deal the salesman told her that the car had only one previous female owner (witnessed by our mother who was with my sis). The registration document arrived just last week, and the document actually states that there are 4 previous owners - this isn't just a little white lie we're talking about.

I think the dealer thought he might spin a yarn for a young woman (20's) and her mother, because they wouldn;t know any better! Anyway, apart from confronting the dealer, what recourse would be available to her? A 4 yr old car with 4 prev. owners is surely worth less than same with just 1 previous (female!) owner?

Any info appreciated?

a bit of fib on the sales mans behalf alright.

did she not see all the other owners when she was filling her details into the log book? it usually has all the prevoius owners listed on it, doesnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

board om wrote: »
    did she not see all the other owners when she was filling her details into the log book? it usually has all the prevoius owners listed on it, doesnt it?
    thought that was only on the old log books.

Tricky one, don't think there is any recourse as technically it doesnt effect quality of the car. Tis real bad form though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I would suggest contacting SIMI (Society of the Irish Motor Industry) who regulate a large number of dealers and ask for their advice. This was a blatant lie and must be followed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭board om

axer wrote: »
    thought that was only on the old log books.

thats what i cant remember. i actually lost my log book about a year or 2 ago and its serious hassle trying to get a new one. but it was definitly on the old ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Number of owners on new ones,names and addresses on old ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

board om wrote: »
    i actually lost my log book about a year or 2 ago and its serious hassle trying to get a new one.

Should be really. I lost one for a bike recently. Just downloaded a form, filled it in, got a Garda to sign and stamp it then dropped it off in the tax office. New one was out a few days later.

The new ones don't have a list of previous owners, or even how many there were, as far as I remember.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

On the new style RF101 vehicle registration cert, number of previous irish owners is shown in section J.3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

I bought my first car last october and the number of previous owners was on the registration form, or whatever its called (no details about who owned it tho)

Advertisement