Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illegal dumping around Limerick

Options
  • 02-04-2008 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭

Anyone noticed this all over the place? Every side road and by road around the city, and probably county has illegal rubbish dumped there. It's disgusting, and a friend of mine who lives abroad in Germany recently noted how dirty the place has become. People just don't seem to give a s**t. I was only driving on the road between O Sheas pub in Castletroy and Ballysimon, and it looks like someone has dumped freshly filled and tied bin bags along the road. Ignorant b*****s.:mad::mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

I regularly need to dispose of rubbish from building sites. I do so legally. However the following should be noted;
    Timber can be brought to recycling centre in Castleconnell. You have to pay them to take it. They chop it up and sell it as mulch. They do not take timber with nails or painted timber.
    Brought load of builders rubbish to Gortnadroma last week. New rule, they don't take glass in doors. had to take glass out of doors and bring back to Limerick.
    Bringing fridges and the like to Recycling centre near canal. Told to go to City Council. pay fee and come back with receipt.
    No place to bring rubbish or recyclables in evg. or at weekends when people have time to go.
    Recycling places for bottles, plastic etc. are often full.
    After eating snack on O'Connell ave. have to hold waste paper until I get into town to find a bin. Bin is then full.
    Footpaths don't seem to be swept anymore. Town filthy Sunday mornings. Doesn't discourage others to use bins when streets already filthy.

The incentives to dispose of rubbish properly are not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

He is wrong to dump. However he has raised a whole pile of serious points.

The attitude of the city council stinks more than any rubbish. Especially so in relation to the Park Road centre (by the canal as BuilderFH put it). Only seems to suit retired and the unemployed with their opening hours. Brainless. What numbskull decided you should first pay fee in the council offices in city centre and then go out there to dispose of your items?

Don't get me started on their streetbin policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

DubLegs wrote: »
    Excerpt from deleted post - post removed by DubLegs.

:eek: Your post is ridiculous Dublegs please re-read - I do hope you are caught and sincerely fined......

Builderman I would tend to agree that it is conducive to having tidier streets when the City Corporation takes the time to place bins on said streets and periodically empty them. Perhaps they could use a fraction of the revenue generated from their massively overpriced parking discs [have they hiked the price on these again yet this month ???]

- Also I'd like to thank you for pointing out that the bureaucrats often do make public systems unnecessarily complicated and irritating; if nobody points out the issues how will they ever be resolved?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Nowhere in builderfromhell's post did he say that he illegally dumps... why is everyone so hostile towards him?

He has tried to dump legally (and explained how), and he regularly deterred from doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

its mainly household rubbish you see dumped on the roads. like food, wrappers, milk cartons etc. on the way in the dublin road to limerick, there's a particular spot where there was a car crash a few years back, and there are flowers tied onto a gate, but there are rubbish bags dumped there as well. Regardless of whether the dumps are easy to get to or not, the fact that someone will decide "I'll dump my rubbish here on the road and f**k it, who cares". They wouldn't like it if someone pulled up outside their house and dumped rubbish out at their gate. Same people who would have no problem dumping in rivers etc etc...
    I agree it should be made very easy for people to dispose of their waste though..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭DubLegs

:o I totally mis read builderfromhell's post and am extremely sorry for going off on a rant!!!

I'm away now to hang my head in full shame and embarrassment for the rant!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

:o I totally mis read builderfromhell's post and am extremely sorry for going off on a rant!!!

Apology accepted. we make allowances for Dubliners:D

FYI info. I have been in court as a WITNESS to illegal dumping. The first time was in Clare and case was dismissed as Clare County Council's solicitor had made a mistake with paperwork. The guy who I had reported fly tipping his Dyna truck managed to get a good look at me though.

The second time I saw a guy emptying a trailer on a small country road in Murroe. I got his number and description, emailed Limerick County Council who said I neede to fill in aform which they then never sent to me.

The point I was making in my original post is that legally disposing of rubbish and/or litter needs to be made as easy as possible. Apartments could/should have bottle banks etc. How much waste in created (time,energy, fuel) in bringing stuff to recycling centres.
    Guys who sweep roads should be consulted on best place to locate bins. etc.

Where is this post gone ?

To whichever Moderator silently buried it - don't you think that it makes sense to snip/edit/amend the text and perhaps add a brief description why so that the thread continues to make sense?

- Anyone reading this censored discussion from [the new] post #3 onwards is going to be fairly confused and disorientated :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

DubLegs deleted it himself herself, it wasn't me. The deleted place holder says:
    This message has been deleted by DubLegs. Reason: Apologies for totally mis reading the first part of the post from Builderfrom hell! Very very very sorry - plz ignore my rant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭DubLegs

Herself :D but yes I deleted it. Sorry no silent burying from mods!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

I can't understand why the local authoriities don't have "bring and dispose" areas available in few points around the Mid-West, they would then dispose of the rubbish in a proper and safe manner. The re-cycling centre in Mungret is the model I'd use for the "bring and dispose" centres. It should be easy for people to dispose or recycle then illegal dumping might not be the problem it currently is.

Obviously, there would be a charge but if it was made easy for people to dispose of rubbish that is not accepted in the wheelie bin then I think most reasonable people would accept the charge.

phog wrote: »
    I can't understand why the local authoriities don't have "bring and dispose" areas available in few points around the Mid-West, they would then dispose of the rubbish in a proper and safe manner. The re-cycling centre in Mungret is the model I'd use for the "bring and dispose" centres. It should be easy for people to dispose or recycle then illegal dumping might not be the problem it currently is.

Obviously, there would be a charge but if it was made easy for people to dispose of rubbish that is not accepted in the wheelie bin then I think most reasonable people would accept the charge.

While I hear what you're saying........... You can could never make any system user-friendly/convenient enough for certain types of people.

- A good example would be the passenger in a red Corolla who I recently saw happily chucking the remains of his snackbox out the window at Punches cross in traffic; no incentive is going to attract the chicken-carcass toting elite of Limerick......

P.S. - Sorry Limerick City Mods for my accusations and wild conspiracy theories :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

Raiser wrote: »

- A good example would be the passenger in a red Corolla who I recently saw happily chucking the remains of his snackbox out the window at Punches cross in traffic; no incentive is going to attract the chicken-carcass toting elite of Limerick......

P.S. - Sorry Limerick City Mods for my accusations and wild conspiracy theories :o

u should have picked it up, and thrown it back in the window. then you risk getting a hiding. if you call the cops about it, it could come across as really trivial...

Advertisement