Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steadycam

• 02-04-2008 11:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭

anyone any experience using the merlin steadycam and if so - to good ok results - do you need the full kit (arm and vest) or is there a cheaper option?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Hi,

I bought a Merlin a few weeks ago, just the metal stabiliser not the arm and vest.

It takes quite a bit of practice but I am very happy with the results now.

I am only using the Merlin with a small Sony HD camcorder with a few accessories on it and gets a bit heavy on the wrist after a while. If you are planning on getting one to use with a bigger pro camera then you might want the arm and vest.

If you want, PM me with your location and if it suits both of us we can meet up and you can have a look at my Merlin before you invest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

how much did you pay for it btw ? and where did you buy it from. My purpose for it would be for use with a similar camera to yours for wedding shoots

€745 + vat from Conns Cameras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

how much is the arm and vest, ?

No idea sorry.

I am guessing the arm & vest are not cheap though.

• Advertisement

how much is the arm and vest, ?

just spotted that bh photovideo do it for $2,599.95 (for everything) - problem is import duty on top of that

reece wrote: »
    just spotted that bh photovideo do it for $2,599.95 (for everything) - problem is import duty on top of that

Any idea what the import duty would cost? Do you think there would be VAT on top of that 2.5k?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭extopia

I'd add at least 31% to cover VAT and import duty.

extopia wrote: »
    I'd add at least 31% to cover VAT and import duty.

Wow! That really jacks up the price. I think I will just stick to my little Merlin for now.

unless you fancy a few days in New York - it will partially finance your trip. I saved 1500 buying in bh photovideo a few years back - which paid for the flights and 2 days accommodation

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭extopia

Remember that a good portion of any price difference is VAT, so if you're VAT registered and this is a business purchase you get a refund from the VAT people. If you travel to NYC to purchase (and why not if you have the time and/or inclination), you're still technically liable for import duty and VAT and can be stopped by customs on the way back (usually doesn't happen, but that doesn't mean it won't happen to you).

Best of luck with the purchase, however way you decide to do it.

Advertisement