Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How long had you been driving when you first passed?

Options
  • 02-04-2008 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

How long was it before you passed the test?

How long? 41 votes

< 2 months
    0% 0 votes
    < 3 months
    12% 5 votes
    < 4 months
    7% 3 votes
    < 5 months
    4% 2 votes
    < 6 months
    9% 4 votes
    < 8 months
    9% 4 votes
    < 10 months
    12% 5 votes
    < 12 months
    24% 10 votes
    more than 1 year
    19% 8 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 I8poop4U

12 years :o

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭j1979p

I know that the majority of people will probably have passed only after more than a years driving but I am more interested in the breakdown of people who have passed within their first year (mainly as I've been driving only 4 months myself and test next week!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

Started driving on my 2nd provisional. Passed my test (with that) a couple of months ago. There was about 16 months in between.

Good luck with your test!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭buckfast4me

1 year 2 months - but driving every day during that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭lorweld

I passed my test after been driving for four months too. Imo i wouldn't pass it now and i've being driving for five years, as in alot of cases the longer you drive the more bad habis you can pick up. Whereas if you've just learnt to drive chances are those bad habits haven't formed yet. my worst habit that I've picked up is coasting!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sbhatia

Passed mine last month after only 6 months driving, u will be fine. All the best anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

6 months here too

• Moderators Posts: 51,792 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Two and a half years approx. That includes failing my 1st test and the waiting time for both tests.

If you can read this, you're too close!

I narrowly failed my first test after 6 months. The tester told me to reapply ASAP.

I then did nothing for another 2 years until Noel Dempemsy decided to frighten the life out of me. ~shakes fist~

Don't be put off by the stats here, many people were just too lazy to get proper lessons and do their tests. Under the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 I8poop4U

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I narrowly failed my first test after 6 months. The tester told me to reapply ASAP.

I then did nothing for another 2 years until Noel Dempemsy decided to frighten the life out of me. ~shakes fist~

Don't be put off by the stats here, many people were just too lazy to get proper lessons and do their tests. Under the system.

I agree with this and it shames me to say i never had a proper driving lesson in all the years i was driving until 3 weeks ago. Looking back on the first two times i did my test im wondering what the hell i was thinking.So yeah the best thing to do is get proper lessons and put in for the test as soon as you feel ready.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

j1979p wrote: »
    I am more interested in the breakdown of people who have passed within their first year
    What about those of us who are multi-category holders? How do we vote?

And what about those of us who were driving since childhood off public roads prior to obtaining a licence? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I think i was about 11 months waiting for my test, i applied as soon as i got my car as in 99 the waiting list was about a year. Passed it first go. The trick was, apart from pre-test lessons was to drive the entire month before the test, as if i was doing the test. This included making it obvious im checking my mirrors, driving in the accepted 2 hands on the wheel positions etc... It worked.
    Make sure you take at least 10 lessons at the start and at least 2 pre-test lessons before the test and if you can drive like you are being tested for a month or a few weeks before your test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

6 weeks of driving. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

yeah i was driving about 2 months before i got my test, first time, booyah! My friend got his with 4 weeks driving under his belt, and he's not exactly the best driver in the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,121 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

9 months. I applied for a test when I started lessons and that's how long it took to get one. I probably would have failed had I done the test at any stage in my first 6 months of driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

One last tip. Practice. As much as possible.

If you have the magical 2nd provisional, or fancy your chances driving unaccompanied without one, practice on your own any spare chance you get. Keeping left, Mirror Singnal Mirror Maneuvres, the special maneuveres (Turnabut, reverse around a junction, and hill start).

That and lessons with a good instructor.

That's how I passed when I finally did.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

2months not a word of a lie Started Driving in January 2008 Got my Licence March 2008 :D Plenty of practice & pre tests!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭prodigal_son

I thought its impossible to pass in anything under 6 months under the new rules.

I was driving about 6 months, 7 months, but when i say driving, i mean once a week for an hour, not with a proper instructor, with family members, and about 3 lessons professionally..

so about 35 hours worth of driving under my belt, I passed first time, with only one fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ray900

I drove for while between 2003 and 2004, and then didn't drive again until last November. Scraped through the test yesterday (with 7 grade 2s - one of which could very easily have been a grade 3) after having around 4 lessons and a pretest in the past week.

2months not a word of a lie Started Driving in January 2008 Got my Licence March 2008 Plenty of practice & pre tests!
    I thought its impossible to pass in anything under 6 months under the new rules
    If it's a 1st Learner Permit, one must have held it for at least 6 months on the day of the test. That doesn't mean one has to have been driving for 6 months.

(Theoretically, one could begin driving on the day of the test).

Also, The Real B-man could have been on an Provisional Licence or on a 2nd Provisional Licence.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

If it's a 1st Learner Permit, one must have held it for at least 6 months on the day of the test. That doesn't mean one has to have been driving for 6 months.

(Theoretically, one could begin driving on the day of the test).

Also, The Real B-man could have been on an Provisional Licence or on a 2nd Provisional Licence.

Yes Exactly i got my 1st Provisional in August 2007 & applied for my Test in September 2007

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭redcar

Mmmm 12 months I think it was. Well to be more specific 4 days short of 12 months. I remember because I started driving the day I got my insurance and past it 4 days before I had to renew.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

20 days.

macplaxton wrote: »
    20 days.
    :eek:

(Must have been the UK ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

i passed after driving for just over 4 months so. < 5 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭abcxyz123

2 months after my 17th b-day:cool:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

:eek:

(Must have been the UK ;))

Indeed it was. Applied 4 weeks before 17th birthday for preferred test date. Got preferred date 20 days after birthday. DSA moved date 7 days later, but I phoned them up and got it put back to original date. About 10 x 1.5hr lessons with instructor (1990 Ford Fiesta - 5sp) and every day practising with either mum/dad (Volvo 240 Auto) or family friend Austin 1100 with crash first and indicators on the right. Confusing doing all the car hopping, but I mastered double de-clutching into first on steep hills. 1st time pass.

8 or 9 months zipping around on L-plates after CBT on Honda 100. Passed 1st time after 8 x 1 hr lessons over about 6 weeks when I had money.

5 days / 17hrs for rigid lorry C. 5 days 14hrs manual D. 4 days 15hrs artic C+E. All 1st time.

1) Have the right positive attitude.
    2) Study hard and practice lots.
    3) Either be completely ready for the test or do the test when you're completely ready.
    4) Don't let nerves get the better of you, it's a mind thing.

oh, and from what I hear,

5) Sit a SGS test ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭farva

Started driving down on my unlce's farm at 13, had my 1st car at 14. I was insure on my own car at 18 and 2 years later I passed my test 1st time.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭bluefirefly

got my prov license on feb. had 10 lessons during the summer. started driving around june. had my test last thursday. so got 5 lessons before hand and passed!! woot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

10 months for me.

I had a couple of lessons before that but done nothing about it after.
    Then decided to give it a proper go, bought a car in the middle of Jan
    and passed my test in November.

Advertisement