Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else sick of the Rolling Stones?

Options
  • 02-04-2008 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

I am.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Love love LOVE the Stones! I think Keef is kinda sexy... :o They're not exactly churning out the hits now - a release every few years and that's it. Their last single to get any airplay was out around '05. Great song.

No matter how many times I listen to Gimme Shelter I get shivers down my spine.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yeah a bit sick of them. Think they're really milking it tbh and haven't released anything remotely decnt in a long time. Time to hang it up me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Dudess wrote: »
    No matter how many times I listen to Gimme Shelter I get shivers down my spine.

Quite so; i remember buying the Hot rocks compilation yonks ago and the only songs i knew were Satisfaction, Get off my cloud and Honky Tonk Women. I used listen to HTW regularly and it was only due to being to lazy to shut off the tape deck (ah - tape decks) that i used hear the following track, which was Gimme Shelter. Savage song. Menacing, dark, brooding and the way Merry Claytons voice cracks during the 'rape murder' bit...

aye - shivers, indeed.

as to the OP - i'm a fan, so i'll not get sick of them, but I'd be surprised how many people would get sick of them. They were never *that* popular in Ireland. Oh sure, you can't fling a rock in a medium sized metropolis without hitting somebody wearing a Tongue/lips t-shirt, but you can be fairly sure that none of them have a notion who Mick Taylor was.

They're getting a lot of publicity now, i guess, cos of the live movie they've done with Scorcese (ironically, one of his few movies NOT to have Gimme Shelter feature in it - go figure!)

But it's kinda like getting 'sick' of anything, you just avoid it. The stones don't get ludicrous amounts of airplay on the radio, do they? And even if they did - yours has an 'Off' switch, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

No, but I am sick of REM and U2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Is your name Ger Nolan or do you really have "no langer"? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Stones last must have album was...what? Some Girls? Something even earlier?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

But it's kinda like getting 'sick' of anything, you just avoid it. The stones don't get ludicrous amounts of airplay on the radio, do they? And even if they did - yours has an 'Off' switch, right?

I agree. The Stones seem to want to keep rolling, and as long as people want to see them and make it worth their while financially they'll continue to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Rigsby wrote: »
    I agree. The Stones seem to want to keep rolling, and as long as people want to see them and make it worth their while financially they'll continue to do so.

Agreed.

Promoter: I'll give x millions for a guaranteed sell-out world tour?

Stones: Can't do it mate, we're not culturally relevant anymore.

People want to see them. The rest of us can ignore the latter day incarnation, and keep listening to our copies of Let It Bleed/Beggars Banquet/Their Satanic Majesties Request, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

mike65 wrote: »
    The Stones last must have album was...what? Some Girls? Something even earlier?

Mike.

if you'd a tenner burning a hole in your pocket, you could do a hell of a lot worse than pick up 1995's 'Stripped'; it's not an 'album' per se, more 'Unplugged but without using that copyrighted by MTV brand'.

They prove that they can still do old skool acoustic blues, and in some respects, the re-recordings of some songs (like Dead Flowers and Let it Bleed) are better than the originals.

And the fact that Jagger changes the lyrics of 'Spider and the Fly' to something about the bird he picks up as being 'she looked around fifty' as opposed to thirty in the original, adds to the fun...

Otherwise, Mike, point taken...Some Girls would be the most recent album you'd need; if only for the Keith manifesto that is 'Before they make me Run'....

Advertisement