Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best low profile graphics card?

Options
  • 02-04-2008 11:31pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A friend of mine is looking to upgrade his graphics card. He's got a 7500 in it already. It's a slimline pc so he needs a low profile card. Any ideas? Would there be much better than the one he has?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I found a cheaper 8600gt on ebuyer. Still doesn't seem like much of an upgrade though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's a huge upgrade. The 7500 (LE, right?) is an OEM card and pimped up to make it sound more appealing then the 7300LE, based on old g72 core.. very slow, basically.

Getting an 8600GT would be about 300% faster - at least.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=339922

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=20503&agid=394

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yup, it's an LE. So it's just an overclocked 7300? I thought it was an underclocked 7600 so I didn't see much point in going for an 8600 seeing as they aren't much better than the 7600. Cheers chaps.

Does anyone know what's the minimum power supply that card would work with? I can't imagine the one in his hp is all that powerful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'd say as long as it's solid psu you'd be OK with 200-250w with 18a on the rails.

Is it a HP or Packard Bell? I've seen Packard Bells with FSP psu's as standard, which are very reliable, not sure what HP use - I think it's only HP use the 7500LE though.

I guess crack it open and take a look, if it's one of those small black slimline HP cases, it wouldn't even be an matx psu but one of those shuttle types (no idea what they're called).

Yeah it's one of the hp slimline ones. It looks like this:

hp-pavilion-s3220n.jpg

I'll take a look at it and see what the psu is like next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

I have the MSI 8600GT mentioned earlier in the thread. I got a new Dell Inspiron 530s PC there recently but its only compatible with a low profile card. I looked around and the 8600GT was and still is the best available at the time.
    Seems a decent card so far but haven't really tested it with any recent games yet. Has boosted Vista gaming graphics score to 5.3.

Given the card he's upgrading from, it should be a massive improvement. He ordered it a few days ago so he should get it soon.

Advertisement