Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Polo V's Clio

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

If you're going to be spending a lot of time in the car get the one you find most comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

stepbar wrote: »
    TBH I'd check out quinn direct and get a few different quotes. As someone said there is probably feck all difference between a quote for a 1.2 and a 1.4 for some makes and models.

When I was in my early twenties, I had to go for a 1.0 for a year because the insurance on a 1.1 was 300-400 quid extra, so there can be a difference even at the level. Insurance prices have dropped considerably since then, but even now I'm getting a slightly higher quote on a 530 than a 528, and there's so little between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

How much are you being quoted for insurance?

When i was 18, full license with 1 year no claims discount in my own name i was paying €1800 for third party fire and theft on a 1.0L Corsa. Thats a fair chunk of your budget if your being quoted similar.

Lets be honest beggers cant be choosers! Your young getting your first car, its not exactly going to be a class car! If you start going for going for bigger engines as being suggested on this thread everything starts creeping up.

Look here for tax rates. A 1.0l is nearly half what a 1.25 or 1.3 l is.

Insurance will be a small bit more expensive too, but when you've that tight of a budget all this adds up.

When i was 18, full license with 1 year no claims discount in my own name i was paying €1800 for third party fire and theft on a 1.0L Corsa. Thats a fair chunk of your budget if your being quoted similar.

Jaysus, that wasn't bad at all for 18! I was paying the equivalent of €3500 at 22 in a 1.1 litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

eoin_s wrote: »
    Jaysus, that wasn't bad at all for 18! I was paying the equivalent of €3500 at 22 in a 1.1 litre.

Yeah, I started out paying IR£2900 on my 1.2 clio in 2000. I was 18 with a full licence. I stupidly bought it a month before I turned 19, although it probably wouldnt have made that much of a difference but every little helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Lads,
    your feed back has been great. I spent my day looking at several cars.
    But (i'm well getting banned for this but..)
    the oul 1 has a friend who was selling a car and well... i kinda took it
    oh god...hyundai accent gls 1.3. Yes it's a big car and yes it goes against this whole thread which im sad to see because i appreciate all your help.

still this car was extreme low mileage (checked) and a good low price. all it needs is a set of fresh tires and it's away.

SORRY but thanks everyone. yas are all cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Nothing wrong with the Accent.

Best of luck with it.

congo_90 wrote: »
    Lads,
    your feed back has been great. I spent my day looking at several cars.
    But (i'm well getting banned for this but..)
    the oul 1 has a friend who was selling a car and well... i kinda took it
    oh god...hyundai accent gls 1.3. Yes it's a big car and yes it goes against this whole thread which im sad to see because i appreciate all your help.

still this car was extreme low mileage (checked) and a good low price. all it needs is a set of fresh tires and it's away.

SORRY but thanks everyone. yas are all cool.

Congrats on the purchase, hope it works out for you.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with the Accent.

Best of luck with it.

Thanks but still it beats the whole purpose of this thread. which was to help me decide. i should hope not! lol thanks
    eoin_s wrote: »
    Congrats on the purchase, hope it works out for you.

Again thanks, hopefully it'll be many miles of trouble free motoring

• Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

G'luck with the car OP!

Off topic: Well that was with doing the hibenian ignition course(cant think of it without saying the damien duff accent!)

My insurance the previous year was €3600 with axa, including having a tracking device jobby put in, which reminds me i need to start a thread asking where it is so i can get rid of it!

• Advertisement

How much are you being quoted for insurance?

that's pretty ironic. i rang my current insurer (hibernian) and no matter how many discounts and little 'perks' for me to have my own policy with them they're too expensive still! Any way i'm being quoted €1,800 for fully comp on a 1.3 hyundai accent. pretty good. gotta admit that.
    Look here for tax rates. A 1.0l is nearly half what a 1.25 or 1.3 l is.

Insurance will be a small bit more expensive too, but when you've that tight of a budget all this adds up.

Thanks i got an idea now of how much it's going to cost me. Jasus that tax is high!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

The Polo is a very reliable car, I bought a 00 one for my sister three years ago and it has done 35k without repair. It has also sailed past two ncts without problem. Personally I wouldnt buy a Renault. I have driven them, they are very comfartable and a nice driver. I have hired them when on hols and liked them. But only for two weeks, Renault electrics are renowned for trouble, french cars in general are wonderful when they are going well, mechanics hate them. They are generally more difficult to work on and the polo is a much more basic straightforward car. The bodywork in the VW would also be stronger.
    That's just my experience and I have bought and sold a few polos.

Advertisement