Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part-time job/student?

Options
  • 02-04-2008 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

Since i'm the legal age in Ireland for a job now, I've been looking.
    I'll be finished 4th year soon, but we're already into the LC course. I'm a real sponge lol so I wanna get out and make some money for myself.

I've been offered a few hours during the summer alright which I'll more than likely take, but do you think it'd be wise to continue with a job after the holidays? I've got 2 years until my final exams, then I'll be free:) I've heard that it's not a good thing to do (having a part time job) while still being in school.

What do you guys think?:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Well for fifth year i'd say yes you'd be fine having a part time job, but definitely not in sixth year, there just isn't the time for it. It's take up valuable study/homework time. Well there's my 2 cents having been through it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭opinionated

Go for it. Nothing like the independence of having a few quid for yourself. Don't listenin to anyone who says not to have a job for the leaving cert year...Just cut the hours down to about 5 a week after easter.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

I'd say go for it unless you're like me and gets worn out & run down quite easily.

I started my first job in November & coming upto Christmas they had me in about 14hrs a weekend and 3hrs on a Thurs night after trying to get some homework done. I got so run down I had to take days off school to recover.
    I'm in 5th year btw.

I would have loved to have had a job in fourth year. I would advise you to take the job until the end of the summer anyway. It's great to have your own money. While all my friends are broke, I've well earned money :D

Advertisement