Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

25k - what do i buy?

Options
  • 03-04-2008 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

hi, i have approx 25k to spend on a car.

Thinking of A4's, accords, saab 9-3...

1.6-1.8 petrol , 1.8 td+

Ideally no older than 2005, The newer the better (i have my own reasons, please dont question)

Not looking for an overly powerful machine, majority of my driving is in the city. But when i do hit the motorway its good not to be frustrated when over taking

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Smallest engine in the Accord is 2.0 litre. Audi A4 1.6 litre and Saab 9-3 1.8 litre are best forgotten about. They are gutless and small engines in medium size cars are heavy on fuel.

Did you consider the Ford Mondeo or Mazda 6? Both came in 1.8 litre petrol and 2.0 litre diesel. On a budget you probably would be looking at 2007 models.

Ford Mondeo:
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Ford/Mondeo/LX-4dr/954152/

Mazda 6:
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Mazda/Mazda6/1.8-Executive/868089/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

You could bring in a BMW 520d. VRT is going to drop from 30% to 16% in July for the 177bhp model. Price now for an 2004 -2005 is £14-£16k.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Stealdo

You could bring in a BMW 520d. VRT is going to drop from 30% to 16% in July for the 177bhp model. Price now for an 2004 -2005 is £14-£16k.

Pretty sure that drop will only apply to the versions with lower emissions post Sep '07, so will be 20% on 2004/5 models - you'd need to check

The Mondeo is a cracking car, but unless you're planning on keeping it for 6/7 years plus I'd think twice because of the depreciation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭maims3875

I would go to the UK, you can get a 2006 CRV /Accord diesel for £12 1/2 k, plus vrt and it will be under the €25k mark. plus you will get cheaper road tax on the 2.2crdti diesel, I brought in a CRV in Jan, taxed it for the year for €750+, as the new 'Green' emission tax regime didn't apply at the time.

Now since the emission tax has been back dated to jan 2008, next years road tax is down to €600. :)

maims3875 wrote: »
    I would go to the UK, you can get a 2006 CRV /Accord diesel for £12 1/2 k, plus vrt and it will be under the €25k mark. plus you will get cheaper road tax on the 2.2crdti diesel, I brought in a CRV in Jan, taxed it for the year for €750+, as the new 'Green' emission tax regime didn't apply at the time.

Now since the emission tax has been back dated to jan 2008, next years road tax is down to €600. :)

Unless it was brand new when you bought it in January (which obviously it wasn't) I wouldn't go spending that money you're expecting to save on the motor tax. Folks here seem pretty certain that the change in motor tax will not apply to pre 2008 cars that are imported even after the changeover.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭maims3875

Stealdo wrote: »
    Unless it was brand new when you bought it in January (which obviously it wasn't) I wouldn't go spending that money you're expecting to save on the motor tax. Folks here seem pretty certain that the change in motor tax will not apply to pre 2008 cars that are imported even after the changeover.

I checked with the Main Honda Dealership in Tralee last month, they stated that the requirement is for newly registered vehicles, i.e. new or if imported vehicles regardless of the vehicle age, once the registration occurred post jan 1 2008.

Is this correct?

I checked with the Main Honda Dealership in Tralee last month, they stated that the requirement is for newly registered vehicles, i.e. new or if imported vehicles regardless of the vehicle age, once the registration occurred post jan 1 2008.

Is this correct?

There are others who post here that are more clued in than me, so I'd check with someone, but my understanding is that a pre '08 car that is imported after July will be subject to the new VRT rate but will stay on the old motor tax rate. (i.e. you might pay 16% VRT because of low emissions, but still have to pay €700 motor tax based on a 2L engine)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think second hand imports originally registered before 2008 will still be taxed under the old engine size system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

No, road tax stays on the old system unless the car itself is a 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I'll be the usual biased self and reccoment a Passat. If u decide to import make sure u get every extra possible, if ur buyin Irish, settle for something a little less spec'd. They're a smashin car and from what i hear the 2.0 TDi is a good enjoy. Any who wants to tackle that statement please do.
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Passat/2.0-TDI/714035/
    something like that:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Mazda/Mazda6/1.8-120bhp/983377/

You should be able to hammer down that price to 25K. Especially if ur paying cash...

Advertisement