Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo town accent

Options
  • 03-04-2008 1:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭

Is the Sligo town accent the worst accent in the country? I think it is. I'm from Dublin and am living here in Sligo for a while now but I still haven't got used to this strange twang.

kerry chip = curry chips
    byrd = bird
    stimed = drunk

Can anybody else think of anymore. It's too late to think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

First of all those examples you used weren't the best ones to pick and its definitely not the worst in Ireland but the rough town accent is in my opinion one of the worst,it's horrible and I'm from Sligo but thank god I don't have the accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

I'll think of some more tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 dingo dog

Jabby wrote: »
    Is the Sligo town accent the worst accent in the country? I think it is. I'm from Dublin and am living here in Sligo for a while now but I still haven't got used to this strange twang.

kerry chip = curry chips
    byrd = bird
    stimed = drunk

Can anybody else think of anymore. It's too late to think.

judging by the above examples i can only assume that you were in the four lights!:) yes i do agree that the sligo town accent can be abit rough around the edges but i also think it is far from the worst in the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Northside Dublin is far worse than the Sligo Accent!
    At least you were able to understand those words Jabby!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

I'm from Sligo town, thank god I don't have the accent! But no, it's not the worst accent in the country by a long shot. I think Dublin and down south is worse. Cork/kerry is just painful. And don't even get me started on the Donegal. For God's sake people speak english! :eek:

• Advertisement

*takes cover*

Muffler's gonna get you....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Hey, it's not our fault muffler speaks Donegalese

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    Hey, it's not our fault muffler speaks Donegalese

:D
    Always thought it was funny that "Yes Boy" replaced "Hello There":)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The worst accent is by far, the southside "posh" Dublin accent. It's as fake as Posh Spice's tits. Try spending an afternoon in Dundrum Chopping Centre without wanting to strangle someone.... the northside accent may be bad, but at least it's not full of ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I met a girl at the last place I worked from Donegal. I absolutely loved her. She said the strangest things. I just wanted to talk to her all the time and hear her say them, and I would practice talking like her when I was in loo breaks.

There was another girl from Donegal, who was "above" me in the heirarchy. I HATED HER. She reminded me of a snake. And I hated the way she talked - despite it being a very similar accent to the first girl. "Layterkayney" But I used to imagine what she'd be screaming in her stupid way of saying things as I pushed her off a bridge.

So all this is to say, when it comes to the Donegal accent, it's all about whether you like the person or not!!

I don't have a problem with the Sligo Town accent. It's different from Mr. Xiney's but it's entirely understandable. Also I love how anyone more than 4 years older than me calls me "pet" or "hen".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Did someone call?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Cant stand that Sligo town accent , some people wear it like a badge though and you know that its quite affected by them and not their natural accent

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Gillie wrote: »
    Always thought it was funny that "Yes Boy" replaced "Hello There":)

hoho, starting to use that pharse a bit now my self

the accents not that bad, have heard a hell of a lot worse

cork

Xiney wrote: »
    I met a girl at the last place I worked from Donegal. I absolutely loved her. She said the strangest things. I just wanted to talk to her all the time and hear her say them, and I would practice talking like her when I was in loo breaks.

There was another girl from Donegal, who was "above" me in the heirarchy. I HATED HER. She reminded me of a snake. And I hated the way she talked - despite it being a very similar accent to the first girl. "Layterkayney" But I used to imagine what she'd be screaming in her stupid way of saying things as I pushed her off a bridge.

So all this is to say, when it comes to the Donegal accent, it's all about whether you like the person or not!!

I don't have a problem with the Sligo Town accent. It's different from Mr. Xiney's but it's entirely understandable. Also I love how anyone more than 4 years older than me calls me "pet" or "hen".

I have a habit of calling people pet. I'm trying to get out of it. :o

You're right, it does depend on the person. I knew a guy from Donegal who just didn't speak english. We used to get so frustrated with each other because I'd be asking him to speak english but even when he spoke slowly I just couldn't understand a word he said! We had to have his cousin who was also from Donegal (but understandable) stand by as translator so we didn't choke each other! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭nicolaonfire

Hate the Sligo towny type accent.
    Alot of people don't have it, they just have a neutral accent with a sligo twang, kind of! I like Mark from Westlifes accent. Just using him as an example because a lot of people know what he sounds like.

The worst has got to be the D4 accent and the southern accents.
    The Donegal accent has got to be the best though.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,895 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Jabby wrote: »
    Pfft!

From this poll in 'After Hours' a few week's back, a resounding 'no' is the winner.

The "Sligo town accent" varies from place to place in the town.. some harmless while some are like aural punishment. But that heavy drawn nasal accent is in every town in the country - just changes it's tone slightly depending on the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

It's worse when they're not actually from town and they put on the townie accent! I HATE that! Gives us townies a bad name :mad:

I don't have a townie accent but I've heard a few times from people from various places, (galway, shannon etc) Sligo people pronounce words like "look" and "book" funny...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I have no accent, due to lots of moving around. (what I mean by that is, I speak perfectly!:D)

My child though, is turning into a townie :eek: "Aye Maaa, luuk at the wee buuk".

OMG.

It's worse when they're not actually from town and they put on the townie accent! I HATE that! Gives us townies a bad name :mad:

I don't have a townie accent but I've heard a few times from people from various places, (galway, shannon etc) Sligo people pronounce words like "look" and "book" funny...

Easy now - my missus does the same and she's from Longford!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

Alot of people don't have it, they just have a neutral accent with a sligo twang, kind of! I like Mark from Westlifes accent. Just using him as an example because a lot of people know what he sounds like.

I think the 3 sligo westlife boys have strong sligo accents

• Advertisement

Madge wrote: »

Yes! They have hideous accents! I cringe every time they speak on tv!

takola wrote: »
    Yes! They have hideous accents! I cringe every time they speak on tv!

My ears bleed a little every time they sing.

Madge wrote: »

Yeah They do have Sligo accents. I'm just saying I like Marks.
    Kians is terrible. I hate when he talks in interviews because people will think we all talk like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

Kians is terrible. I hate when he talks in interviews because people will think we all talk like that!
    His is the roughest sounding alright. I wonder has his gf Jodi picked up any bit of a twang yet?!

You call their accents Sligo accents?
    You've got to be kidding!

Maybe Shane but the other two! More like "Country" accents!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,895 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Gillie wrote: »
    You call their accents Sligo accents?
    You've got to be kidding!

Maybe Shane but the other two! More like "Country" accents!
    Yeah.. have to agree with Gillie on that.

I remember watching a Westlife video.. the one where they miss their plane and they decide to walk to their next venue (yeah.. extremely plausible I know!).

When one of them comes over and says their plane won't be taking off, Mark says in a his BIG Calry accent:

"You'rrre joooking!"

EDIT: Hold on.. let me try and find the video on YouTube to demonstrate..

Found it.. listen to the first 20 seconds (and Mark's input 8 seconds in). After that, you're on your own:

Oscar winning performances from the lads..!

Ohh yeah that was the My Love video.
    Kians isn't country though. He doesn't pronounce his H's for example he says "tink" not "think" so that's a town one. It's not a nice town one. Shane has a nice town one.

Kians isn't country though. He doesn't pronounce his T's for example he says "tink" not "think" so that's a town one. It's not a nice town one. Shane has a nice town one.

You mean H's!?

Kians isn't country though. He doesn't pronounce his T's for example he says "tink" not "think" so that's a town one. It's not a nice town one. Shane has a nice town one.

That can make a big difference if you're talking about philosophers...

"Socrates was a big thinker"

vs

"Socrates was a big tinker" :)

And after posting a Westlife video, basquille, I'm afraid you've lost all kudos with me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

takola wrote: »
    I knew a guy from Donegal who just didn't speak english. We used to get so frustrated.................................... so we didn't choke each other! :mad:
    Removing tongues from each other's mouths usually works ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement