Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo town accent

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

That can make a big difference if you're talking about philosophers...

"Socrates was a big thinker"

vs

"Socrates was a big tinker" :)

And after posting a Westlife video, basquille, I'm afraid you've lost all kudos with me!

Westlife are class! What's wrong with you man!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

Aaargh! My mouse stopped working when they started singing!:eek: I had to listen longer than I really wanted to.
    I have to say I like the Sligo accent and dare I say it I LOVE the Cork accent! Pretty much like any Irish accent, although I find the accents in N.Leitrim a bit .... farmer like.... Before you shoot me down I'm not too fond of the accent where I'm from and everyone there seems to be so proud of it... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Aaargh! My mouse stopped working when they started singing!:eek: I had to listen longer than I really wanted to.
    I have to say I like the Sligo accent and dare I say it I LOVE the Cork accent! Pretty much like any Irish accent, although I find the accents in N.Leitrim a bit .... farmer like.... Before you shoot me down I'm not too fond of the accent where I'm from and everyone there seems to be so proud of it... :rolleyes:

F5 in an emergency tulip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

sueme wrote: »
    F5 in an emergency tulip.

Failing that - pulling the plug out always works!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

sueme wrote: »
    I have no accent, due to lots of moving around. (what I mean by that is, I speak perfectly!:D)

My child though, is turning into a townie :eek: "Aye Maaa, luuk at the wee buuk".

OMG.

A major factor in my parents' decision to move away from Sherbrooke, Quebec when I was 4 was the accent (when speaking French) that I began to develop there. Consider the Sherbrooke Quebec French to be like swamp Alabama English - bit of a stigma associated with it, on top of it being nigh impossible to understand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭nicolaonfire

Gillie wrote: »
    You mean H's!?

Bahahaha ya
    Thanks

That's the second blonde thing I have done today and it's only 4 o' clock!!

Westlife are class! What's wrong with you man!!

I agree!
    Even if you are being sarcastic:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

That's the second blonde thing I have done today and it's only 4 o' clock!!

What was the other thing dare I ask?
    I agree!
    Even if you are being sarcastic:confused:

Nope!

Nope!

Sorry to break it to you, but you are both going to hell. :D

Nope!

Ahem! Well some guy called the house phone looking for my sister who recently got married. He used her new name and said "Is mrs.*blank* there?" and I was like "Who? you must have the wrong number" and then I realised!! I keep forgetting she has a new surname!:o

• Advertisement

Sorry to break it to you, but you are both going to hell. :D

After I go to see them in June!!
    Have to support the home boys:D

After I go to see them in June!!
    Have to support the home boys:D

If you don't to to see them and repent now, you might be saved... otherwise your soul will be eternally lost. It says so in the bible "Thou Shalt Not Worship False Gods". :D:D:D

If you don't to to see them and repent now, you might be saved... otherwise your soul will be eternally lost. It says so in the bible "Thou Shalt Not Worship False Gods". :D:D:D

Haha

Well it's a good thing i don't believe in all that...pheeeew!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

The Sligo accent as uttered by Westlife (no matter how patriotic one can be for Sligo) is "shocking'. Its the kind of accent that would bust many a sligo emigrants' bubble when nostalgic bout returning home. :eek: The governement will be piping it out at airports soon to ensure people head back to far off places cos theres no jobs here anymore to return home to Sligo for. :D

Fate worse that death that Thistle! You would be forced to throw the thing out the window. Well maybe tulip might. (tip remember to unplug it tulip..this time!)
    Re North Leitrim accents.*

I cant find a farmer (looking for one with land!) for the amount of blow ins! Tripping over "artists" everywhere, tripping.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

A brief rundown on Westlife's accents: Shane has a town accent of the natural type but far from the strongest in terms of drawl and nasalness. Kian has the accent associated with mid to late twenties males who have "developed" a manly deep voice similar to a D4 but more regional and still retaining dropped H's and other peculiar quicks. Mark has a Sligo county accent, but of the town hinterland type rather than full on Geevagh, Bunninadden or Maugherow. Just how they sound to me.
    I find the industrial strenght, total townie accent like a dental drill. I can't listen to it for long. I disagree that it's the same in other towns in ireland. There's a touch of the sham twang in Navan, Athlone, Galway etc. but I'd never mistake it for the Sligo accent. It's a very individual accent. I think you don't find such an accent in other towns in older people, whereas in Sligo, you can find pensioners with the accent.
    poor b@stards :)

il gatto wrote: »
    A brief rundown on Westlife's accents: Shane has a town accent of the natural type but far from the strongest in terms of drawl and nasalness. Kian has the accent associated with mid to late twenties males who have "developed" a manly deep voice similar to a D4 but more regional and still retaining dropped H's and other peculiar quicks. Mark has a Sligo county accent, but of the town hinterland type rather than full on Geevagh, Bunninadden or Maugherow. Just how they sound to me.
    I find the industrial strenght, total townie accent like a dental drill. I can't listen to it for long. I disagree that it's the same in other towns in ireland. There's a touch of the sham twang in Navan, Athlone, Galway etc. but I'd never mistake it for the Sligo accent. It's a very individual accent. I think you don't find such an accent in other towns in older people, whereas in Sligo, you can find pensioners with the accent.
    poor b@stards :)

So is it racist or ageist or something to say that they all sound the same to me?!:o:D Must brush up on my local linguistic skills. Although did spot that mark from the country.*

*spending too much time analysng Westlifes accents' must be a slippery slope to somewhere very dark surely? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

tuppence wrote: »
    Re North Leitrim accents.*
    I cant find a farmer (looking for one with land!) for the amount of blow ins! Tripping over "artists" everywhere, tripping.

There are LOADS of farmers driving about in their 4x4's and horse boxes. Not to mention the ones who drive their diesel guzzling falling apart tractors and park them and let the engines run up and down the main street ( don't get Mr Tulip started about that!). Afraid to say that I have to just smile politely when words are exchanged.

Aren't those artists clumsy....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

gustavo wrote: »
    Cant stand that Sligo town accent , some people wear it like a badge though and you know that its quite affected by them and not their natural accent

I've got as bad/good a Sligo Town accent as most people out there - granted its not deepest Banks Drive (using that drive as it doesn't exist anymore) but its unmistakably Sligo Town - I wear it as a badge of honour and generally disapprove of people I know that have tried to water it down - but I would say that are at least three people out there who put on a Sligo Town accent for everyone that tries to lose it - if its that bad "they" wouldn't be trying to mimick it.

p.s. I was at Aintree yesterday and back a horse called Gustavo - quell surprise it was a donkey and lost me £20!

Madge wrote: »
    I think the 3 sligo westlife boys have strong sligo accents

I dont - Feehily isnt from Sligo Town ergo no Sligo Town accent and Egan has more of a buff accent for some reason considering he was from Lyndale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I've got as bad/good a Sligo Town accent as most people out there - granted its not deepest Banks Drive (using that drive as it doesn't exist anymore) but its unmistakably Sligo Town - I wear it as a badge of honour and generally disapprove of people I know that have tried to water it down - but I would say that are at least three people out there who put on a Sligo Town accent for everyone that tries to lose it - if its that bad "they" wouldn't be trying to mimick it.

p.s. I was at Aintree yesterday and back a horse called Gustavo - quell surprise it was a donkey and lost me £20!

:D
    You're right to be proud of the accent I suppose , I don't really have any accent if you heard me I could be from any county in Ireland , but I suppose what I meant was like you said those that dont really have it and use it exxagerate it to the point where it becomes annoying , Shame about the horse , if I see a horse called sligobhoy1967 over the weekend I'll be sure to avoid it. :cool:

I dont - Feehily isnt from Sligo Town ergo no Sligo Town accent and Egan has more of a buff accent for some reason considering he was from Lyndale

just noticed that Gillie and basquille posted the same thing - so I guess its a fair enough assessment

also there wa a poster on the Rovers forum of foot.ie that posted phonetically in a Sligo accent and it was bang on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Good work fella, the accent not the horse, as far as i know i was one of the first 100 or so people too live in cranmore, the forgieeen burds luvs me voice so they doo's, was in london a few weeks back, burds on tube/in pubs coming up to me all melty "ooh i love your accent" (not pros either),the sister found it hilarlioussss!
    Never had the thickest accent, but sham by name sham by nature

read a few on here givin it the "cranmore accent" this and the "cranmore accent" that, (which i suprissed they got away with?) I always found i knew more "middle class" lads with the accent than actual cranmore lads!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

There are LOADS of farmers driving about in their 4x4's and horse boxes. Not to mention the ones who drive their diesel guzzling falling apart tractors and park them and let the engines run up and down the main street ( don't get Mr Tulip started about that!). Afraid to say that I have to just smile politely when words are exchanged.

Aren't those artists clumsy....;)

Farmers? With tractors? In the countryside? No!!?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Libronerd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

The Sligo accent as uttered by Westlife (no matter how patriotic one can be for Sligo) is "shocking'. Its the kind of accent that would bust many a sligo emigrants' bubble when nostalgic bout returning home. :eek: The governement will be piping it out at airports soon to ensure people head back to far off places cos theres no jobs here anymore to return home to Sligo for. :D

Why is it, that when you have a conversation with anyone in Sligo regardless of accents, its a normal conversation as usual. However, put that person onto TV or radio, and OH........MY........GOD....... the accent suddenly gets multiplied to the power of 10. (I had a chat with Mark F in a pub one night, and it was fine when speaking 121, but on the TV, MAN!!!)

Any suggestions?

mcgowan.b wrote: »
    Why is it, that when you have a conversation with anyone in Sligo regardless of accents, its a normal conversation as usual. However, put that person onto TV or radio, and OH........MY........GOD....... the accent suddenly gets multiplied to the power of 10. (I had a chat with Mark F in a pub one night, and it was fine when speaking 121, but on the TV, MAN!!!)

Any suggestions?
    Booze eases the pain. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Booze eases the pain. ;)

Hmmm, now that you mentino that, it was rather late/early of a weekend in one of the 'nameless' late drinking houses. (I recall I did partake in a the odd tincture or two :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭teddy_303

I am from Sligo town also, and what really bugs me is those guys from Colooney or Ballymote or where ever, trying to sound like they are from Cran Mor. Five years ago they were talking like the biggest shower of red shanks going. Bogus!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I too have noticed a few Ballymoters coming out with some right townie mouthfuls.

I am a happy buff, with no townie slang or nasaly drawl.

''Well sham, wha's da craic wit' you hey?''

I die a little inside whenever I hear it. Especially when you hear middle aged people speaking like that.

IMO only Dunalk/Drogheda townie accent is worse.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement