Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo town accent

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Have to agree in saying that the Drogheda/Dundalk town accent is worse.

Maybe the reason there are Sligo town accents in Ballymote/Coolaney or wherever away from town is because many people from town may have moved out that direction as rent is cheaper.

I know the council moved a few people to Coolaney which I hear the locals weren't too happy about.

I live a bit outside Sligo town but not too far but thankfully I don't have the town accent, it's one of the worst in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

bobcar61 wrote: »
    I know the council moved a few people to Coolaney which I hear the locals weren't too happy about.

Do you ever think before you post? Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭garth-marenghi

Have to agree in saying that the Drogheda/Dundalk town accent is worse.

Maybe the reason there are Sligo town accents in Ballymote/Coolaney or wherever away from town is because many people from town may have moved out that direction as rent is cheaper.

I live a bit outside Sligo town but not too far but thankfully I don't have the town accent, it's one of the worst in the country.

Thankfully I do have a townie accent and proud of it. Have lived in council estate in the past and would be proud to again in the future. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

You're not joking here by any chance. I don't see a yellow smiley man. My God, the poor Coolaney locals....whatever next I say? Imagine having to live beside a low down townie eh :eek: Lowering the tone of the area. What could possibly be worse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

Ill get me mudder nd me fadder nd bate da ****e outta ya, ya no wat im mean like?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Jabby wrote: »
    What could possibly be worse?
    Foot and mouth?? :p

Wow I have nothing wrong with people who live in council estates, I have many friends who live in council estates.
    And again i have nothing against people with the Sligo town accent, I just don't like it, same way many others don't like it. It's my opinion.

I also have a few friends who live in Coolaney who I have heard from that there was a lot of trouble around the village between fights outside the pub( which will happen everywhere but became more frequent) and lots of noise on the streets in the middle of the night which my friends weren't too happy about. I haven't experienced it myself, I'm just going on what I have heard and I was told that the fights became more frequent when the council moved people to Coolaney.

Just what I heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Hels88

I moved up to Sligo 2 years ago for college from South Dublin. Absolutely love the Sligo accent but it took some getting used to it at the time. More people seemed to have a problem understanding what I was saying though, apparently it sounds like I'm from London to most!

I used to have the South Dublin accent commonly known as the D4 accent but I lost it when I moved to Sligo :)

I'm not the biggest fan of that one either with the likes of people saying OMG, roish and loike but I can get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Sweet Cheeks

Wow I have nothing wrong with people who live in council estates, I have many friends who live in council estates.
    And again i have nothing against people with the Sligo town accent, I just don't like it, same way many others don't like it. It's my opinion.

I also have a few friends who live in Coolaney who I have heard from that there was a lot of trouble around the village between fights outside the pub( which will happen everywhere but became more frequent) and lots of noise on the streets in the middle of the night which my friends weren't too happy about. I haven't experienced it myself, I'm just going on what I have heard and I was told that the fights became more frequent when the council moved people to Coolaney.

Just what I heard.

I know what you mean. I bet those Coolaneyites are well peed off that the townies moved out cos before they did there was a lovely pub with no one in it and it was only 4 days walk round Hungry Rock to get water. It truth the whole Collaney novilty is wearing off on the townies and most of them are dying to get back to civilisation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭fmcc

Can't believe sham wasn't mentioned till page 3 and no one has mentioned "a dose of sidekicks to the head".
    I grew up near the sligo park and in the 80s that was considered country by townies but the town by the buffs so no mans land really. Then I went to secondry school in ballisodare and the transformation to buff was complete even though I live in the town now.

Kinda "How's tings" vrs hows the craic?

I used to have the South Dublin accent commonly known as the D4 accent but I lost it when I moved to Sligo

I'm not the biggest fan of that one either with the likes of people saying OMG, roish and loike but I can get over it.

I'm from south Dublin Bobcar 61, but alas from the poorer southwest side. I don't have a D4 accent but a D12 one....and proud of it. I never lost my accent since I moved to Sligo years ago as I think my accent sounds great and is a real one, not like that weak false snobby D4 accent you refer to (mostly heard amongst most of the sickening Leinster rugger set or maybe at the canteen in the pampered 'Rock') which, in my opinion, is not a real Irish accent but a cross between posh Wicklow and English...so...If you get fed up speaking with a buff Shhlligo accent and pissed off with your D4 mates constantly slagging you off...then I can recommend some elocution lessions for you. Let me know.:)

I was really young when I left Dublin so there are no mates there to slag me. I never say there is nothing wrong with having an accent, I'm just saying I don't like them.

My accent is fairly neutral, as I've moved around the country. Btw I didn't live in D4 either, even further south than you actually.

fmcc wrote: »
    Can't believe sham wasn't mentioned till page 3 and no one has mentioned "a dose of sidekicks to the head".
    I grew up near the sligo park and in the 80s that was considered country by townies but the town by the buffs so no mans land really. Then I went to secondry school in ballisodare and the transformation to buff was complete even though I live in the town now.

Kinda "How's tings" vrs hows the craic?

give it a rest "or ya'll get an uppercut inta de snot!"

It was that rough where I lived.... If you seen a cat with a tail he was a tourist!:)

give it a rest "or ya'll get an uppercut inta de snot!"

Maybe you should give it a rest. What did he say to upset you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭fmcc

bobcar i think sweet cheeks is only rising me over my dose of sidekicks the only sligo reply to ask is of course can your mudder sow? well stitch that. In fairness this is not just a sligo question it was always up there with do you like hospital food etc.

Maybe you should give it a rest. What did he say to upset you.

I suppose this is what happens when you have mods of the Sligo board that are not from Sligo.

Maybe I should write a buke on "How to speak Sligo Townese to Sligo Townies".

Actually neither of the mods are from Sligo, the other is Canadian. Is that a problem for you?

I would consider myself from Sligo, I've been here for 15/16 years and I'm only 20.

Actually neither of the mods are from Sligo, the other is Canadian. Is that a problem for you?

I would consider myself from Sligo, I've been here for 15/16 years and I'm only 20.

Funny that. I had you down for older than that Bobcar61... like 1961. :confused:

• Advertisement

You had me down as someone born in 1961? Where did that come from?

Just to clarify in previous posts I'm not saying anything bad against people with the Sligo town accent, I'm just saying I don't like the accent:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Up man.... dig up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Slidey wrote: »
    Up man.... dig up :D

LOL

Anyway. Seems it was a misunderstanding. Let's move on, shall we?

:)

I think you need to chill out. When I was 20 I wasnt to worried about people taking in up worng on an insignificant internet forum. enjoy!

what part of "misunderstanding... move on... nothing to see here boys" was hard to understand :(

Xiney wrote: »
    what part of "misunderstanding... move on... nothing to see here boys" was hard to understand :(

I think you meant to say "knotin ner nobody sees knotin, right!" ;)

something like that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Cheeky Munky

strongr wrote: »
    Ill get me mudder nd me fadder nd bate da ****e outta ya, ya no wat im mean like?

Haha - love it, I've been livin in Dublin for 10 years and still my mates say this to me, along with The schnow is Schliding of the Schlates..............
    I'm proud to be from Sligo town - along with my Sligo accent which isnt as strong as some other Sligo peoples..........

The schnow is Schliding of the Schlates..............

I wouldn't have said that was a Sligo town accent, when you say it how it written it's more like a country accent or a Mayo accent.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't have said that was a Sligo town accent, when you say it how it written it's more like a country accent or a Mayo accent.

correct. Sligo Town accent is a hard S followed a long vowell. In fact a decent rule of thumb (not sure this will stand up) is if you stab sharply at the consonant and draw out the vowel you wont be far off the Sligo accent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement