Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice for buying used cars

• 03-04-2008 1:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

Ok, so if buying from a private owner, what advice do you think is best?
    I'm figuring meet the owner at their house, see some proof of owner-ship and pay securely (cheque) anything else i need to know?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

They won't give you the car until the cheque clears. Personally, I don't like the idea of the previous owner being in possession of a car they no longer own. I'd pay by draft, at the owner's bank if necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

ok so i've givin a deposit to a car owner to secure it until i get the rest of the money next week. When i go to collect the car/ complete payment, what sort of paper work am i looking for?
    how do i confirm i bought the car? ie; something to say i paid for the car and own it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,399 ✭✭✭✭Esel

congo_90 wrote: »
    ok so i've givin a deposit to a car owner to secure it until i get the rest of the money next week. When i go to collect the car/ complete payment, what sort of paper work am i looking for?
    how do i confirm i bought the car? ie; something to say i paid for the car and own it now.

Type up a receipt as follows and get the seller to sign and date it and include his/her address:

"Received from - your name - the sum of - amount in words - as full payment for vehicle - Make/Model -, registration number - Reg No -. This vehicle is owned by me at time of sale, and this vehicle is free from any hire purchase or finance agreement on my part. Dated this - date in words e.g. fourth of April, two thousand and eight. -.

Signed:

Date:

Address:

Also, bring a stamped envelope, address it to Shannon, fill in and sign (and get the seller to sign) the registration document. Put it in the envelope, and witness the seller posting it.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

esel wrote: »
    Type up a receipt as follows and get the seller to sign and date it and include his/her address:

"Received from - your name - the sum of - amount in words - as full payment for vehicle - Make/Model -, registration number - Reg No -. This vehicle is owned by me at time of sale, and this vehicle is free from any hire purchase or finance agreement on my part. Dated this - date in words e.g. fourth of April, two thousand and eight. -.

Signed:

Date:

Address:

Also, bring a stamped envelope, address it to Shannon, fill in and sign (and get the seller to sign) the registration document. Put it in the envelope, and witness the seller posting it.

Address it 'shannon'?
    The regisration document is the document above yes? or is that just my recepit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,399 ✭✭✭✭Esel

congo_90 wrote: »
    Address it 'shannon'?
    The regisration document is the document above yes? or is that just my recepit?
    The full address in Shannon will be on the registration cert (what I called the 'document' above).

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
Advertisement