Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My build(hopefully)

Options
  • 03-04-2008 2:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hey guys, I'm gettin paid nxt week n want to build my 1st pc. This is what i've looked at so far. All from HWV as they've bin getting great reviews on these forums ne way here it is,

Untitled.jpg

It'll b used for a bit o cod4, madden nfl, proevo08, gears of war and watchin alot o hd content thru sm226bw and jus general internet, wrd, exel etc. Nothing too crazy, so if ne 1 thinks the gfx card myt b a bit much for these i'm open to suggestions. Oh n i'll be using it to convert avi->dvd a gud bit also so is the cpu enuf?? Any suggestions wud be greatly appreciateed. This is my first FULL build(usually just do a bit of upgrading and general fiddling around :p) so i'd really like to get it right. I'd hope to keep the prices as low as possible and do a bit of overclocking with sum help from around the forums as soon as i'm all set up.

Thanks in advance
    Skidz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭Virgil°

If your gooing to buy 4 gigs of ram get 2 x2 sticks as opposed to 4x1.
    Other than that i probably wouldnt change anyhting.
    Just make sure the stuff you're buying is in stock before you purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Looks good to me too - nice solid build, bit of overclocking and you're good. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

Very good choice on the parts and as a side note the most sensible build i've seen on here in a long time.I'd go with what Virgil said aswell.
    Nice one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Ishindar

nice build. personally i would cheap out on the case and power supply http://www2.hardwareversand.de/1/articledetail.jsp?aid=17592&agid=625 and put the extra 120e into a better cpu, http://www2.hardwareversand.de/1/articledetail.jsp?aid=8790&agid=398

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Ishindar wrote: »
    nice build. personally i would cheap out on the case and power supply http://www2.hardwareversand.de/1/articledetail.jsp?aid=17592&agid=625 and put the extra 120e into a better cpu, http://www2.hardwareversand.de/1/articledetail.jsp?aid=8790&agid=398

are ya mad?! cheaping out on the psu is the worst thing you could do.
    its the main reason people have problems with their computer's.

the psu is like the heart of the machine.

• Advertisement

Would definitely agree, that is terrible advice...

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Skidmcmarx

First off thanks for al the replies.

I gotta agree with RMC and TF. I've bin looking around this forum for awhile now to help me spec this machine and have come across more than a few cases where a cheap psu has caused problems. Plus i really wanna go with a modular psu, more so for convenience than looks.

About thae gfx card and case...is there any other gfx card i cud choose other than the 8800gt. I have this card in my xps 420 and i absolutly love it but like i said i want to keep the price down as much as possible(witout losing too much performance of course:)) and it myt be overkill for my needs at the min. As for the case, to be honest i'm not too gone on the look of the antec 900 but its got great reviews and i really wud prefer a base mounted psu. Are there any other options(preferably with a lower price) that have gud build quality and are as easy to use wen installing components.

Thanks in advance
    Skidz

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The 9600gt should lower the costs a bit and would still be quite a good card. You could try the 3870 as well.

Skidmcmarx wrote: »
    First off thanks for al the replies.

I gotta agree with RMC and TF. I've bin looking around this forum for awhile now to help me spec this machine and have come across more than a few cases where a cheap psu has caused problems. Plus i really wanna go with a modular psu, more so for convenience than looks.

Skidz

eh it cost like nothing and rarely a problem, ive never had an issue in years of building. how complex do u think a psu is lol? so if it fails which is unlikely u throw it out and get another cheap one. u save a bit too :)

anyway terrorfirmer/royalmarinecom thats a pretty arrogant thing to say! u may disagree with my advise but to say its terrible...

a psu is a basic component and adds nothing to the performance. its a 5min job to replace. I dont see the point in putting 100e into a psu when u can put it into a more powerfull CPU and enjoy better performance. just my opinion.

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=9032&agid=394

Still a great card and can easily match the 9600GT at 1280x1024 or 1440x900 in the majority of games.

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=20542&agid=554

Or just get a 9600Gt itself, sweet card.

And it is terrible advice. A dodgy psu can damage other components in your machine, not just serve as an annoyance. Maybe if I was building a 200 euro office machine, but most certainly not a gaming machine. Nothing arrogant about it whatsoever - it's just plain bad advice. As for failure rates - go look up 'Q-Tec problem' in Google, or browse the feedback on a lot of Dabs.ie budget PSU's....loads of 'failed after 5 months' comments.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Have to agree with Terror,
    NEVER SKIMP ON A PSU

Nice rig BTW, You've obviously done your homework

A dodgy psu can damage other components in your machine

sorry but that is a common misconception. the chances are neglegable.

the arrogance comes from putting my opinion down and elevating yours. when a question is a matter of opinion rather than fact.

Ishindar that company makes execellent power supplies if you must know.:)
    hec --> compucase

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

You could drop the E4500 and get a E2180...

E2180 is €28 cheaper and should overclock higher than the E4500, ( 3.4ghz or more on that board) leaving you enough to get the 8800gt...

http://www3.hardwareversand.de/3/articledetail.jsp?aid=17482&agid=398

Corsairs 450 watt psu is class and only €50..

http://www3.hardwareversand.de/3/articledetail.jsp?aid=17483&agid=240

It has more than enough power...

sorry but that is a common misconception. the chances are neglegable.

the arrogance comes from putting my opinion down and elevating yours. when a question is a matter of opinion rather than fact.

It has happened in the past, and while unlikely to happen on solid psu's it is far more likely to happen with a cheap, generic supply.

Why an earth would you buy a cheap power supply and plain hope for the best, with a high likelihood you'll have to replace it eventually, and in the long run end up spending as much on multiple low end parts as you initially would have on a reliable brand?

Again, it is no arrogance. If you had said, 'I think you should ditch the E4500, and get the E6750 instead of that extra 2gb ram' - that's a perfectly valid opinion. 'You should replace your nice case and good power supply with a case with crappy airflow and a budget power supply' is not only an opinion, but bad advice for someone looking to build a gaming machine. 9/10 people here aside from yourself would agree with that.

A budget PSU is fine for an office machine or a low end machine, it is not for gaming machine.

Let's visit a few links:

http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=3HF0&CategorySelectedId=11259&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11259

http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=2J7Q&CategorySelectedId=11259&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11259

Most people posting positive reviews are using old tech.

I'm not saying that the Dabs PSU's are of the same quality of the Compucase PSU, but your general opinion was that you might as well just go for a cheap, low end budget job.

Hec do have some OK psu's, but the hp400d is hardly comparable to their other mainstream budget parts.

It has happened in the past, and while unlikely to happen on solid psu's it is far more likely to happen with a cheap, generic supply.

Why an earth would you buy a cheap power supply and plain hope for the best, with a high likelihood you'll have to replace it eventually, and in the long run end up spending as much on multiple low end parts as you initially would have on a reliable brand?

Again, it is no arrogance. If you had said, 'I think you should ditch the E4500, and get the E6750 instead of that extra 2gb ram' - that's a perfectly valid opinion. 'You should replace your nice case and good power supply with a case with crappy airflow and a budget power supply' is not only an opinion, but bad advice for someone looking to build a gaming machine. 9/10 people here aside from yourself would agree with that.

A budget PSU is fine for an office machine or a low end machine, it is not for gaming machine.

Let's visit a few links:

http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=3HF0&CategorySelectedId=11259&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11259

http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=2J7Q&CategorySelectedId=11259&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11259

Most people posting positive reviews are using old tech.

i guess the arrogant are blind to their own arrogance.

i guess the arrogant are blind to their own arrogance.

You should send a letter to all the top tech sites, they've obviously been blind too in not realizing 20 euro PSU's are adequate for todays high end gaming machines.

I'm not sure who makes corsairs psu's maybe seasonic?
    But i can tell you hec -->> compucase are just as good as them.

Hec make some OK power supplies. But you'd be pretty naive if you thought that the PSU included in a case for 45 euro was as good as a 400w Corsair. They do make decent budget psu's, but they're also a massive supplier of OEM parts....providing low end, basic power supplies.

I'm not trying to ruffle anyones feathers here. But I find it very ill informed to advise someone to get a cheap case/psu combo for a brand new gaming build.

Who here would use that case linked to in full confidence with their new build?

I would because the psu is quality go read up on them a little more.
    45 euro was as good as a 400w Corsair in what do you mean good exactly?

• Advertisement

You should send a letter to all the top tech sites, they've obviously been blind too in not realizing 20 euro PSU's are adequate for todays high end gaming machines.

i wouldnt consider it a high end gaming machine with an E4500 in it but thats my opinion. you are missing my points completely anyway and obviously have limited education & experience

I would because the psu is quality go read up on them a little more.
    45 euro was as good as a 400w Corsair in what do you mean good exactly?

You keep missing my point. HEC PSU's, as I have previously stated, are OK - cheap, but decent. But - they also supply a massive quanity of cheap OEM parts. The psu in that case bundle - is not one of their gaming orientated supplies, it's a cheap one - the model is HP400D. As for how it wouldn't be as good as the Corsair? Less efficient, less stable rails, etc...

You're talking about HEC in general, I'm talking specifically about this supply.
    i wouldnt consider it a high end gaming machine with an E4500 in it but thats my opinion. you are missing my points completely anyway and obviously have limited education & experience.

Considering the video card, not to mention he'll obviously be overclocking. I'm not missing your point, I fail to see how I am. Your idea - cheap PSU = good saving. My idea - cheap PSU = potential failure and ultimately uneconomical.

Nice dig there you had to add. It's just pathetic. You can't have a discussion without getting personal, no?

Why don't you post on Tweaking and Modding, Guru3D, Toms Hardware, etc, asking if they think a 45 dollar Case/400w psu bundle is a good idea for a new gaming machine. See what they say? I'd say you'd only find they're all uneducated and inexperienced as well.

I see where your comming from with the quality issues but what if i put an ocz sticker on it woukd you buy it then?

Considering the video card, not to mention he'll obviously be overclocking. I'm not missing your point, I fail to see how I am. Your idea - cheap PSU = good saving. My idea - cheap PSU = potential failure and ultimately uneconomical.

simple maths, potential failure of 1 cheap PSU which is less than 25% of the price of an expensive PSU is low. so even if it does fail it will mean 4 psu's have to fail before it actually costs. put this against the lifespan of a gamers PC and its costing u money that is better sepnt on a better cpu, thats a no brainer in my book.

I can see your point ishindar but you referred to the psu and case as cheap implying that it's basically not great . Thats not great advice at all infact it's terrible and getting worse every sentence you type lol.

About that particualr psu .
    I have one and it runs great
    http://www.compucase.de/englisch/produkte/netzteile/windmill/s300350ptw-spec.html
    Whats the big deal with corsair?

Review

http://www.techwarelabs.com/reviews/cases/compucase_tower/index_4.shtml

Good value alright...

But the psu would be pushed to its limit by a 8800gt/3.4ghz overclock, leaving future upgrades like a better video card/ more hard drives/ fast Quad in the balance?

I'm going to sleep ,
    squal not every cpu overclocks to 3.4 either lol
    And quad core cpu's are overhyped and a waste of money.:D

Put an ocz sticker on it and i'm sure it will be fine ;)

:D

I had a 305watt dell psu, powering a E2160 @ 3.0ghz, 2 x 160gb hard drives, X1950pro, for a few weeks with no problems...

Longterm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

simple maths, potential failure of 1 cheap PSU which is less than 25% of the price of an expensive PSU is low. so even if it does fail it will mean 4 psu's have to fail before it actually costs. put this against the lifespan of a gamers PC and its costing u money that is better sepnt on a better cpu, thats a no brainer in my book.

ok hope you didnt take any offence to my comment earlier on.

basically what i meant but didnt explain is

you reccomended him to get a 400w psu insted of the 530w psu he originally picked.
    what if he decides to add another 8800gt later on?
    what if he decides after 6 months he wants an 9800gx2?

do you think a 400w psu will handle them?

i know that a 400w from any company wether good or bad for 30 - 40 euro will last what ever amount of time and its easier to replace it with another 400w for another 30 quid if it goes kaput but why not re-assure you of ANY problems and get a very decent psu with more juice than needed so when you do want to upgrade/add components you have no hassle and dont need to replace anything then?

i bought an ocz 750w. thought it was overkill. then i bought an 8800gt.
    then i bought another.
    it works flawlessly. if i had taken advice like your's and got a 400w cheapy psu then i would have had to buy another psu and been left with a 400w doing nothing.

on saturday my aunt arrives from america with 3 9800gx2's.
    1 for squall and 2 for me.
    there aint no way im running them on a cheap psu regardless of any 25% cost if it fails or a 5% chance of it damaging my components due to not enough juice or any thing.
    im sticking a 1000 - 1500w toughpower in with them.

even if there is 1% chance of it screwing up and dying its still a 1% chance i dont want to take and would rather spend an extra few quid on ensuring it doesnt happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Skidmcmarx wrote: »
    As for the case, to be honest i'm not too gone on the look of the antec 900 but its got great reviews and i really wud prefer a base mounted psu.

This is the case I'm going for: [Link]

Good reviews, bottom mounted PSU and cheaper than the Antec.

Some reviews:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/CoolerMaster/RC_690/6.html
    http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&number=7&artpage=2863&articID=620
    http://techgage.com/article/cooler_master_cm_690/2
    http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=10255&page=11

Advertisement