Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My build(hopefully)

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Ishindar

ok hope you didnt take any offence to my comment earlier on.

basically what i meant but didnt explain is

you reccomended him to get a 400w psu insted of the 530w psu he originally picked.
    what if he decides to add another 8800gt later on?
    what if he decides after 6 months he wants an 9800gx2?

do you think a 400w psu will handle them?

i know that a 400w from any company wether good or bad for 30 - 40 euro will last what ever amount of time and its easier to replace it with another 400w for another 30 quid if it goes kaput but why not re-assure you of ANY problems and get a very decent psu with more juice than needed so when you do want to upgrade/add components you have no hassle and dont need to replace anything then?

i bought an ocz 750w. thought it was overkill. then i bought an 8800gt.
    then i bought another.
    it works flawlessly. if i had taken advice like your's and got a 400w cheapy psu then i would have had to buy another psu and been left with a 400w doing nothing.

on saturday my aunt arrives from america with 3 9800gx2's.
    1 for squall and 2 for me.
    there aint no way im running them on a cheap psu regardless of any 25% cost if it fails or a 5% chance of it damaging my components due to not enough juice or any thing.
    im sticking a 1000 - 1500w toughpower in with them.

even if there is 1% chance of it screwing up and dying its still a 1% chance i dont want to take and would rather spend an extra few quid on ensuring it doesnt happen.

well your pov is that of an enthusiast and fair play. but the vast majority of people arent enthustasts they just want the best bang for the buck. the OP is looking to build a system for games and general purpose on a budget with a view to a small stable overclock. The mobo this guy chose only takes one graphics card etc so maybe u see how easy it is to misinterpit and clouded from your own pov. and a cheap **** psu will do in this application with its maybe 0.1% fail rate. if the OP was looking to build a system with fans everywhere trying to squeese the last drop out of the CPU then of course a competent PSU is required.

============================

all i read and see here is popular forum babble from enthusiasts with bobs to spend on the neverending latest and greatest. how dare anyone challenge the popular and often misinterpited forum info out there. coming from a vast technical education & backround and posting here to get told that your opinion is "terrible" is a big indicator that this forum is inhabited by those who prefer their comfort zone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

http://forums.hexus.net/help-technical-advisory/111749-psu-exploded.html

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=247383

http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=609

Some casual reading on cheap psu's with gaming builds.

Now, I have no problem with a mid range gaming machine using a cheap, recognized brand - HEC make some perfectly good supplies that get decent if not exactly spectacular reviews.

But this case and power supply linked to - the power supply is a cheap, basic part, and not a part of the line up aimed at performance and high draw machines.
    and a cheap **** psu will do in this application with its maybe 0.1% fail rate

0.01%? Got a link for that? Funny how you seem to incite that we're self righteous yet you're doing the exact same thing regarding your opinion - quite simply, why an earth do you think not only enthusiasts, but normal users, professionals, reviewers and such recommend brand name power supplies an d strive to convince people that ultra cheap power supplies are a bad idea? That failure rate is something you just made up out of your head.
    if the OP was looking to build a system with fans everywhere trying to squeese the last drop out of the CPU then of course a competent PSU is required.

It's about a bit more then simply reaching the maximum output. Not to mention on that point, a 400w cheapo PSU will not remotely be able to sustain 400w...probably close to 300 or 320w.

Cheap PSU = cheaper components, less stable rails, less efficiency. Are you ignoring this part entirely? If cheapo PSU's were so suitable for gaming machines, or budget machines with powerful video cards, everyone would buy them.

Check out Dabs for the reviews of the very cheap power supplies, multiple instances of hardware failing within short periods using old hardware. The tech spec's look 'decent' on a casual glance. And you would use new tech and a power hungry video card on those same units to save a few quid?
    all i read and see here is popular forum babble from enthusiasts with bobs to spend on the neverending latest and greatest. how dare anyone challenge the popular and often misinterpited forum info out there. coming from a vast technical education & backround and posting here to get told that your opinion is "terrible" is a big indicator that this forum is inhabited by those who prefer their comfort zone.

Says the guy who actually edited his post to include that I was "obviously uneducated and had no experience" for stating my own opinion, when in reality his own advice was in stark contrast to about 90% of system builders (In reality, it's probably a higher percentage - I've actually never seen a decent post on any tech forum advocating the suitability of a cheapo PSU for any sort of a build, but they do obviously exist), in whatever aspect of their build be it high end performance or even budget. Is this the part where I insult you now?

As I have said - these sort of power supplies are acceptable for basic machines, office machines, that place little demand on the PSU. Not for a gaming machine that's going to strain the power supply and run a high probability of BSOD due to insufficient power, freezes due to drops, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Here's a build you might consider - though perhaps with your original 520w PSU - I'm not sure of the power requirements when overclocking.

magi02vs2.jpg

I'd choose the Scythe cooler over the 7 Pro. The Scythe totally outperforms it when it comes to cooling and is a bit quieter too. [source]

u quote novices who dont have a clue what they are doing. how many people post that their power supply didnt fail? people like to complain and novices do mess up.
    Now, I have no problem with a mid range gaming machine using a cheap, recognized brand - HEC make some perfectly good supplies that get decent if not exactly spectacular reviews.

agreed.
    But this case and power supply linked to - the power supply is a cheap, basic part, and not a part of the line up aimed at performance and high draw machines.

all power supplies are cheap basic parts. saying the more u spend the better the quality for the application is nieve imho.
    this guy is not building "a performance and high draw machine".

lets look a little closer here. the 2 main power consuming components.
    CPU E4500 with a power consumption of 65w and a GPU with a power consumption of 105w = 170w, that leaves 230w for all the minor power consuming components, pleanty of headroom.
    0.01%? Got a link for that? Funny how you seem to incite that we're self righteous yet you're doing the exact same thing regarding your opinion - quite simply, why an earth do you think not only enthusiasts, but normal users, professionals, reviewers and such recommend brand name power supplies an d strive to convince people that ultra cheap power supplies are a bad idea? That failure rate is something you just made up out of your head.

yes it is a number pulled out of my ass but its more realistic than your assumption that the PSU is going to fail or cause issues.
    It's about a bit more then simply reaching the maximum output. Not to mention on that point, a 400w cheapo PSU will not remotely be able to sustain 400w...probably close to 300 or 320w.

so your saying that all manufacturers of cheapo PSUs specs are fabricated?
    based on what? more forum babble?
    Cheap PSU = cheaper components, less stable rails, less efficiency. Are you ignoring this part entirely? If cheapo PSU's were so suitable for gaming machines, or budget machines with powerful video cards, everyone would buy them.

this just makes me think, that u think, a PSU is a complex device when in fact its one of the most simple of all. component reliability is not so bad in 2008 u know. manufacturers will market and get what they can for their product. reliability is always an issue with electronics but in 2008 i wouldnt base a build on worrying about it.
    Check out Dabs for the reviews of the very cheap power supplies, multiple instances of hardware failing within short periods using old hardware. The tech spec's look 'decent' on a casual glance. And you would use new tech and a power hungry video card on those same units to save a few quid?

people like to complain. people dont post their happy stories. if it fails send it back and they will replace it. yes i would take that minute risk for a better performing system.

Says the guy who actually edited his post to include that I was "obviously uneducated and had no experience" for stating my own opinion, when in reality his own advice was in stark contrast to about 90% of system builders (In reality, it's probably a higher percentage - I've actually never seen a decent post on any tech forum advocating the suitability of a cheapo PSU for any sort of a build, but they do obviously exist), in whatever aspect of their build be it high end performance or even budget. Is this the part where I insult you now?

my advise is not in contrast with a large proportion of system builders because its specific to this one build proposed by the OP and needs to be viewed on the info given.

I do agree however, that if u are an enthusiast and use multiple gpus and change your system a lot etc. it is definitely better to get a good spec power supply.

the insult came from elevating your opinion and calling mine "terrible" which
    as i said is arrogance.
    As I have said - these sort of power supplies are acceptable for basic machines, office machines, that place little demand on the PSU. Not for a gaming machine that's going to strain the power supply and run a high probability of BSOD due to insufficient power, freezes due to drops, etc.

as i illustrated earlier this particular PC build isnt going to strain anything when the main load is 170w and a chepo PSU is a very low risk against enjoying a much better cpu for a nice performance boost for the cash and thats just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

so your saying that all manufacturers of cheapo PSUs specs are fabricated?
    based on what? more forum babble?

They just don't have the massive advertising in place .
    The review sites have monoplised what kids buy anyway.
    On the Integrity of Hardware Review Sites
    http://news.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/04/06/1719216

There's plenty of oem makers who are oem makers for the simple fact that they don't advetise because if they did they would have to increase the products price and slap on a sticker saying it's ocz ultra ubbver super duper power supply sli certified vista capable etc lol bollocks.

• Advertisement

They just don't have the massive advertising in place .
    The review sites have monoplised what kids buy anyway.
    On the Integrity of Hardware Review Sites
    http://news.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/04/06/1719216

There's plenty of oem makers who are oem makers for the simple fact that they don't advetise because if they did they would have to increase the products price and slap on a sticker saying it's ocz ultra ubbver super duper power supply sli certified vista capable etc lol bollocks.

exactly! the lack of technical detail and proper testing is the giveaway & the novice is blind, dont believe all you read.

Advertisement