Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Ahern coverage

• 03-04-2008 3:17am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

lol not far from 18hrs coverage today.....

So......i commend their commitment and it was interesting for about 15 minutes but IMO they went OTT again today as with the Election coverage. Big day - fair enough but there was too much coverage IMO.

What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

It was to be expected tbh!
    I think if they had known in advance there mightn't have been such a fuss!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Dunno, didn't see any of it but it sounds a bit OTT.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

darkman2 wrote: »
    lol not far from 18hrs coverage today.....

So......i commend their commitment and it was interesting for about 15 minutes but IMO they went OTT again today as with the Election coverage. Big day - fair enough but there was too much coverage IMO.

What do you think?

Do you have only one channel or something?

I didnt see any of the Bertie coverage yesterday and I watched plenty of tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭hot fuss

In fairness how many people would be up in arms if they had gone ahead with Eastenders, Fair City repeats, the full length Afternoon Show etc.. when the leader of the country has just announced he's stepping down?

It was an event of national importance and relevance and as the public service brocaster it was their duty to report in depth on it.. You can't please everyone though :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

Eoghan Harris seems to be on every tv and radio show.
    I guess he's the only person they can find to defend Bertie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

We've had one leader for 11 years in this country so it's a pretty big deal when he announces he's going to resign. I'd have no fault with RTE on this. Also all of this was in the morning through to lunchtime a lot of people would only have switched on around lunch time so they would have to give the whole story again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Unshelved

There was no analysis AT ALL. It was all "Minister X / Deputy Y / Journalist Z were you surprised?", "What is his legacy?", , "Who will succeed?" .

Very little discussion about why he chose to resign at this particular point, and whether it's because anything more will come out of the Mahon Tribunal. Lots of comments that it was the media's fault (that darn media - they made him take those dig-outs).

General consensus was that he was a grand chap and we're all going to miss him. There was very little that was critical, and the musical montages at the end of the the 6 o'clock and 9 o'clock news on RTE1 were demonstrations of ridiculous mawkishness at its worst.

And Eoghan Harris was like one of those women from a Synge play paid to keen at a funeral. Back to Glas Vegas with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Boardsbud

compliments in particular to Bryan Dobson, a consumate professional, who was on air in some form or other from 9am yesterday, on Tubridys radio show as a guest and then on tv most of the day until 7:30 pm. A stroke of luck that he was in RTE when the news broke !!
    Funny to hear the old news music being used (i'm sure by accident) when the pre 1 o' clock news programme ended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I watched Skynews coverage

Thats how much I dislike RTE :rolleyes:

Advertisement